FDA GLOBALIZATION ACT 2008 UPDATE FROM WSP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperi27

Reaction score
FDA Globalization Act 2008 (Update)
2:59 PM | WSP News with 9 comments »
As you may know there is a US Congressional Committee attempting to generate a bill entitled "FDA Globalization Act of 2008". If this bill becomes law as proposed, it will cost anyone making a cosmetic (lip balms, lotions, etc) to register and pay a minimum of $2,000 annually to the FDA. These businesses will also need to register each of their formulas with the government, document their standards of good manufacturing practices and report all adverse reactions.

Wholesale Supplies Plus feels that all of this will greatly stifle small business owners and frankly force most customers to close their doors and go out of business.

You may be aware the Donna Marie Coles Johnson has been working on this issue and even went to Washington with a group of small business owners. From my discussions with those involved, it was a very successful trip in that it brought attention to our concerns but may not have been successful in creating change in the proposed legislation.

I do feel that it is time Wholesale Supplies Plus takes serious action. WSP has engaged a lobbyist firm to work on behalf of all small businesses and crafters making cosmetics. This firm has developed what I feel is a solid campaign on behalf of our customers.

WSP has pledged $35,000 in 2008 specifically for this effort. Depending on how the issue unfolds, there will likely be additional financial requirements going into 2009. If this is the case, we are hoping to engage other companies to join our efforts.

Latest posts

Back