FCO massage oil for DH's sore muscles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyW

Reaction score
I bought FCO specifically to make a replacement for the mineral oil bath stuff DH uses to combat his insanely dry skin (works the oil patch, 12-20 hour days for weeks on end) and I got thinking when he came home last night after a 17 hour day and seeing how sore he was that I've got everything (I think) to make a massage oil. Can I please get some help getting the amounts right so I can make this to use tonight? He's also fighting a cold and congested (poor guy!).

I've seen it mentioned to add beeswax (.5oz wax to 2oz oil) - not sure if that would help?

I have (for now, more coming later):
menthol crystals
Rosemary EO
Eucalyptus EO
Camphor oil

I was thinking if I used 2oz oil (or 2oz oil/.5oz wax?), that just the smallest amount of menthol crystals (like what would stick to the tip of my finger) with 1-3 drops of Rosemary and Eucalyptus and 1 drop of camphor would be safe (and effective for sore muscles and congestion), but I wanted to get a better idea... all I can find online is 1-3 drops of ONE EO in .5oz of oil.

Note that I will NEVER sell anything like this, this kind of thing is for personal use only. PM me if you have advice you don't want to share with the general public please, I'd really like to help DH when he gets home from work. Thanks.

FCO is a "dry" oil and not as lubricating as mineral oil. I personally like the mineral oil much better for massage - but i know not everyone agrees. On it's own, FOR ME, FCO isn't enough - I would want it boosted with something more lubricious like olive or jojoba.

Never mind that last question, going on too little sleep! Is the EO amounts ok?

Grapeseed will work and jojoba is wonderful. I would skip the beeswax. Work off 4 ounces to get your percentages. Keep the menthol and the camphor down to less than 1% and the total percentage of eo's can be as 3%.

Olive oil is too sticky for a massage oil and so would castor, Sweet almond would be great too. Hope this helps...

I did a combo of FCO and grapeseed (2.5oz total) with .5oz beeswax to make it more salve-like (keep the mess down) and added 2 drops camphor, 6 drops each rosemary and eucalyptus, and maybe 1/8 tsp menthol crystals, tested it on my own super sensitive skin (no problems) and used it on DH... worked fantastic! I think it needs more camphor for a more vicks-like congestion salve, but it worked great for massage.

For future batches, I'll use the scale and weigh it out!

nice, I haven't used menthol crystals before but have been "burned" (not literally but it was quite irritating) by peppermint eo before O.O

Latest posts

Back