Favorite water substitutions/additives?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reesedog914

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten crazy with what they replaced their water with?

Some popular ones are coffee, tea ...

I have some 100% aloe vera juice I am going to try. Also thinking about shredding up a bee hive and using it as an exfoliator in a honey soap. Anyone tried anything unique or interesting?

I've used fresh cucumber juice, fresh carrot juice, aloe juice (bottled), triple-strength coffee, oat-milk, goat milk, cow's milk/cream, buttermilk, and coconut milk.

One thing I'd still like to try is tomato juice.

IrishLass :)

I've tried everything on IL's list except the oat milk. I've used tomato juice, beer, mead, and brewed tea as well. My faves are probably aloe vera juice, coconut milk, buttermilk or beer soaps.

I haven't used a lot of alternative liquids, but I have used aloe juice, beer, coconut milk and oat milk.

I really think the aloe juice gives a boost to the bubbles. Beer too. Coconut milk is lovely, and the oat milk was nice too.

I've used pureed avocado as well, and that made a wonderful soap. I should make some more....

I always use aloe juice, and have sometimes used beer. If I want to use milk, I use powdered goats milk and just blend it into the oils.

I've used beer, porter, rosewater, wine, and coconut milk. I was very disappointed in the rosewater. They lye killed the pretty color :(

I have a question about using coconut milk in place of water. Do you reduce the superfat or the amount of oils when using coconut milk since it is so high in fat?

Aloe juice, coconut milk, vinegar ( reacted so it's water and sodium acetate) are staples in my fridge/ soap pantry. I have use aloe gel but I'm just not sure it's worth the extra cost for the limited effect.

"Also thinking about shredding up a bee hive and using it as an exfoliator in a honey soap."

Bee's wax I hope and not a wasp nest...

No a wasps nest. I want to make some truly crazy soaps from myself. There are probably dead wasps I can even add in there. Obviously I wouldn't sell such a thing. But I want to push the boundaries of what can be added to soap while it still maintaining its primary function.

I have a question about using coconut milk in place of water. Do you reduce the superfat or the amount of oils when using coconut milk since it is so high in fat?

Speaking only for myself, I reduce my superfat down to 3% when using 100% coconut milk (or goat milk) in place of my water amount.

IrishLass :)

Back