Favorite water substitutions/additives?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Reesedog914

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten crazy with what they replaced their water with?

Some popular ones are coffee, tea ...

I have some 100% aloe vera juice I am going to try. Also thinking about shredding up a bee hive and using it as an exfoliator in a honey soap. Anyone tried anything unique or interesting?

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I've used fresh cucumber juice, fresh carrot juice, aloe juice (bottled), triple-strength coffee, oat-milk, goat milk, cow's milk/cream, buttermilk, and coconut milk.

One thing I'd still like to try is tomato juice.

IrishLass :)

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried everything on IL's list except the oat milk. I've used tomato juice, beer, mead, and brewed tea as well. My faves are probably aloe vera juice, coconut milk, buttermilk or beer soaps.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't used a lot of alternative liquids, but I have used aloe juice, beer, coconut milk and oat milk.

I really think the aloe juice gives a boost to the bubbles. Beer too. Coconut milk is lovely, and the oat milk was nice too.

I've used pureed avocado as well, and that made a wonderful soap. I should make some more....

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oooohhhh I totally forgot about avocado . . . that does make some lovely, creamy soap! But around here they usually get eaten before they become a candidate for soap.

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My favorites are Coconut Milk, Buttermilk, beer and aloe juice.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
My substitutes are cream, milk, aloe juice and strong, cold coffee.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always use aloe juice, and have sometimes used beer. If I want to use milk, I use powdered goats milk and just blend it into the oils.

Navaria

Reaction score
I've used beer, porter, rosewater, wine, and coconut milk. I was very disappointed in the rosewater. They lye killed the pretty color :(

rainycityjen

Reaction score
Sheep milk yogurt... was really lovely, comparable to goat's milk.

kirvil

Reaction score
I have a question about using coconut milk in place of water. Do you reduce the superfat or the amount of oils when using coconut milk since it is so high in fat?

Steve85569

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aloe juice, coconut milk, vinegar ( reacted so it's water and sodium acetate) are staples in my fridge/ soap pantry. I have use aloe gel but I'm just not sure it's worth the extra cost for the limited effect.

"Also thinking about shredding up a bee hive and using it as an exfoliator in a honey soap."

Bee's wax I hope and not a wasp nest...

Reesedog914

Reaction score
No a wasps nest. I want to make some truly crazy soaps from myself. There are probably dead wasps I can even add in there. Obviously I wouldn't sell such a thing. But I want to push the boundaries of what can be added to soap while it still maintaining its primary function.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have a question about using coconut milk in place of water. Do you reduce the superfat or the amount of oils when using coconut milk since it is so high in fat?

Speaking only for myself, I reduce my superfat down to 3% when using 100% coconut milk (or goat milk) in place of my water amount.

IrishLass :)