Favorite soap you've made and why

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
@DWinMadison is breaking bad and typing while driving, and I'm sure poor Ellie sitting next to him is rolling her eyes at him if she could... And has ordered me to start this thread in his stead :p

Lol

So tell us, and if you can, show us your favorite soap (that you made) and why it's your favorite :)

Mine:
Favorite accidental design coz it was a mistake but still looks cool lol

Favorite to use and next favorite to use so far.. A lot haven't cured enough yet so I can't say if any newer ones trump these two, but so far, even initial testing makes me think all my soaps are great :p

Favorite to look at, for obvious reasons I think? Haha

I can't pick just one lols but one of my top overall (once it cures and I've tried it haha) will be the latest indigo soap I posted, coz I love any shade of blue..

Most soaps I make are much less fancy than most others around here, so....
It's hard to pick a favorite.
For handwashing, I really like a soleseife bar (lard 30%, CO 28%, OO 20%, AvO 10%, Castor 7%, Shea b. 5%). It is hard, smooth, bubbly, and just feels nice.
I also very much like the honey-beeswax soap (OO 30, lard 25, CO 20, AvO 12, Castor 5, shea 5, beeswax 3): it is also bubbly, hard, and smells great. And I do like the slightly waxy texture a lot (I know some people don't).
For shower, I tend to go back to the salt bars --- easy and simple, 80 CO, 20 AvO, 40% salt.

So it seems what I really like are hard soaps that are also bubbly and not very fussy. I only make soap for myself and still am experimenting, but I think so far these are the ones that seem the best.
IMG_4917.jpeg IMG_5039.jpg IMG_4897.jpeg

Tough choice. In the summer I really like a soleseife, it seemed to rinse cleaner than my regular soap. It's too drying in the winter for me though. If I had one soap to make and use, I would go back to the unscented aloe soap I was first making, it has zinc oxide, AVJ, and aloe gel. I left it uncolored at the time, but now I would probably do some color design to it. Which reminds me, I have to do a quote for a customer on that exact soap....

My favorites are anything that sells fast! LOL - And for me personally, every time I make a new soap and it turns out (color/scent wise) the way I want it, it instantly becomes my favorite. In the hundreds and hundreds of batches I've made in the last almost 20 years, there really isn't one that sticks out more so than others, except for my very very first soap (so not a favorite other than giving me the soaping bug) and my most recents (and only because they are fresh in my mind)
I love my recipes (I have 3 main recipes that I use) all for different reasons, but it took me years to perfect it, so I don't really experiment much more.

Probably not really the answer you were looking for, but it's the answer I have!! HAHA

My most recent one. It was a tribute to all Game of Thrones fallen. I am a huge Game of Thrones fan, and this past weekend was brutal for me. Not going into detail, since I am sure someone has not watched it. I stayed up all night after the episode to finish the soap as sleep eluded me when I tried to go to bed.

My favorites are anything that sells fast! LOL - And for me personally, every time I make a new soap and it turns out (color/scent wise) the way I want it, it instantly becomes my favorite. In the hundreds and hundreds of batches I've made in the last almost 20 years, there really isn't one that sticks out more so than others, except for my very very first soap (so not a favorite other than giving me the soaping bug) and my most recents (and only because they are fresh in my mind)
I love my recipes (I have 3 main recipes that I use) all for different reasons, but it took me years to perfect it, so I don't really experiment much more.

Probably not really the answer you were looking for, but it's the answer I have!! HAHA

Those cupcakes! I am loving them so much.

well my beer soaps have hit their 6 week cure. they are unscented except for the beer smell :) I think they are running a close second to the aloe soap
I've never been able to keep the beer scent in my soaps. Even with heavy stouts although I rarely use those.
But my soaps will usually cure at least 3-6 months before I package them (sometimes longer) and by the time I package, unless it's a scented soap, there is just no scent there.

I'm glad you are able to keep the scent. I know other people are able to as well.

My most recent one. It was a tribute to all Game of Thrones fallen. I am a huge Game of Thrones fan, and this past weekend was brutal for me. Not going into detail, since I am sure someone has not watched it. I stayed up all night after the episode to finish the soap as sleep eluded me when I tried to go to bed.
I haven't watched yet but know the gist of who has fallen and there is one in particular that I am just gutted about (not the one most people are though) - I'd love to see your soap line for this. Does it go all the way from the beginning, or just recently?

I haven't watched yet but know the gist of who has fallen and there is one in particular that I am just gutted about (not the one most people are though) - I'd love to see your soap line for this. Does it go all the way from the beginning, or just recently?

Its the latest picture of my instagram. Swipe, as there are more pics there not just the main one. Dont read the caption if you do not want to know exactly who is gone!!

My beer soap is about 6wks curing, too and I noticed whatever smell there was has faded. I think after another 6wks there will be no "sweet" scent left.

@atiz you just reminded me of one of my first batches, a soleseife, that me and my family just love. Also reminded me I have to tweak that recipe and make more as we're almost running out. To date it's my best CP soap. My honey beeswax is one of my sister's faves but only for the face coz apparently it's a little too "moisturizing," for lack of a better word, for the rest of her, especially her pits lmao. Hmmm.. I need to tweak and redo that one, too..

Its the latest picture of my instagram. Swipe, as there are more pics there not just the main one. Dont read the caption if you do not want to know exactly who is gone!!
Can I please get a link to your Instagram? I'm curious about your soaps hehehe

My beer soap is about 6wks curing, too and I noticed whatever smell there was has faded. I think after another 6wks there will be no "sweet" scent left.

@atiz you just reminded me of one of my first batches, a soleseife, that me and my family just love. Also reminded me I have to tweak that recipe and make more as we're almost running out. To date it's my best CP soap. My honey beeswax is one of my sister's faves but only for the face coz apparently it's a little too "moisturizing," for lack of a better word, for the rest of her, especially her pits lmao. Hmmm.. I need to tweak and redo that one, too..

Can I please get a link to your Instagram? I'm curious about your soaps hehehe
Your soleseife bars look great! (And I use the honey-beeswax one for face too :) mostly because I really love the scent.)

My favourite is my Sweet Orange and Bergamot with Calendula Petals. The two citrus EO's really work well together and the calendula petals hold their colour and look great. The petals also give the soap a very gentle exfoliating feel. All my soaps have the same base recipe (UK/EU rules), cos if you intend to sell, all soaps have to be assessed and tested by a qualified charted chemist, which isn't cheap. You can add up to 5 additives to the base (eo's, colours, clays etc) but any change to the base requires a new assessment.
My recipe is :
OO 30%
Palm Oil 30%
Coconut Oil 25%
Sweet Almond Oil 10%
Castor Oil 5%

3% SF
Lye/water 2:1
sw or berg and calend.jpg

Last edited:
My favourite is my Sweet Orange and Bergamot with Calendula Petals. The two citrus EO's really work well together and the calendula petals hold their colour and look great. The petals also give the soap a very gentle exfoliating feel. All my soaps have the same base recipe (UK/EU rules), cos if you intend to sell, all soaps have to be assessed and tested by a qualified charted chemist, which isn't cheap. You can add up to 5 additives to the base (eo's, colours, clays etc) but any change to the base requires a new assessment.
My recipe is :
OO 30%
Palm Oil 30%
Coconut Oil 25%
Sweet Almond Oil 10%
Castor Oil 5%
View attachment 38792
your soap is very pretty and I absolutely love those scents together

Post a picture!! I've seen it on Instagram and it is astounding. So very cool, and I don't know how you ever conceived of the idea.

Back