Favorite scents for salt bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeoplum

Reaction score
I know we can make them with whatever scent our heart desires, but I'm just curious what your favorites are? Or your soap recipients/customers...what do they like the best? To me, there are some scents that just seem too odd for a salt bar....like sugary sweet stuff. The first batch I did, I used Morrocon Mint FO and I liked that one a lot. And I just made two new batches this weekend and used Cucumber Melon FO in one and Ocean Breezes FO in the other. All of these are from BB. But as I'm looking over the FO's on my shelf, nothing else really seems to fit the "salt bar" theme. I'd like to find a good Watermelon FO but I've heard that one can be hard to find...especially one that can survive gelled CP soap.

Any recommendations?

zeo

x

my favorite would have to be lime & lavender f/o's about 50/50.

i love coconut & lime, but most of the f/o's i've tried, the coconut disappears.

i've also seen the f/o maragita-which sounds good-lime, salt & sour mix.

I made patchouli HP salt bars today. I tried to get fancy with embedding soft soap and it ended up croap, will post pics at some point.

I made a lime eo salt bar , love it , it is my testers all time favorite . It is about 7 months old and still smells great . The scent disappears for a bit and comes back :shock: . I used .7 oz PPO.

Kitn

My favorite scents for salt bars are

-Salty Sailor (Daystar)
-Mediterranean Sea Salt (Oregon Trails)
-Mineral Waters Spa (Daystar)
-Sun & Sand (WSP)

I've yet to try them with a lime scent, but that sounds great. Paradise from Daystar, an effervescent lime scent, would be perfect I bet.

Zeo- have you tried Watermelon Patch from Oregon Trails? It my watermelon scent of choice for CP. I use it at 1 oz ppo and it survives gel with flying colors. It doesn't discolor (I color mine pink), and it smells very realistically of fresh, juicy watermelon, as opposed to Jolly Rancher candies.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
My favorite scents for salt bars are

-Salty Sailor (Daystar)
-Mediterranean Sea Salt (Oregon Trails)
-Mineral Waters Spa (Daystar)
-Sun & Sand (WSP)

IrishLass :)

Oooh, I'm with you, Irishlass. Ocean scents seem to fit salt bars. I haven't tried any of those but they sound yummy!

I don't get salt bars at all.
We knock ourselves out trying to make the mildest soap possible...
and then put salt in it?
Every kind of salt is very drying to skin.

Epsom salts in a bath make my skin feel great once I dry off...almost like I used powder. I love that feeling (that only lasts a few hours).
BUT, in a day or two, I wish I hadn't done it because my skin suffers.

I also don't get adding extra glycerin to soap.
Glycerin is drying to skin, yet I see internet stores where
soapers brag that their soap contains natural glycerin that
store-bought soap doesn't contain.

What am I missing here?

Glycerin is drying to the skin?
Glycerin is a humectant, which means it draws moisture into the skin.
That is the very reason why handmade soap is superior over store/factory manufactured soap, because we leave the glycerin in the soap.
The reason why the factories remove the glycerin from the soap is so that they can add it to leave on products like moisturiser, because of it's humectant properties.

artisan soaps said:
I love lime too, but I used a FO not EO .. And my latest was a candy musk scent that works great (imho) ..

Thinking of trying something minty next time - or maybe tropical fruit :D

Can I ask what your candy musk scent was artisan ? Sounds divine to me.

TIA

Kitn

CastorFan said:
and then put salt in it?

:? Could be you're skin is reacting that way, but loads of people, even/especially the ones with skin problems like salt on their skin.
Think of all the people with eczema or psoriasis who really benefit from swimming in the dead sea...
Also, saltbars are usually superfatted pretty highly.

CastorFan said:
and then put salt in it?

Epsom salts in a bath make my skin feel great once I dry off...almost like I used powder. I love that feeling (that only lasts a few hours).
BUT, in a day or two, I wish I hadn't done it because my skin suffers.

It could be that you have a sensitivity to them. My sister is sensitive to them as well, but she is a minority amongst my family and friends in that regard. Others find my salt bars to be wonderful soaps, and my hubby especially likes them for shaving. They also make very hard bars that seemingly last forever and a day! :)

CastorFan said:
I also don't get adding extra glycerin to soap.
Glycerin is drying to skin, yet I see internet stores where
soapers brag that their soap contains natural glycerin that
store-bought soap doesn't contain.

What am I missing here?

I don't believe the people running internet stores who talk about their soaps as containing natural glycerin actually add extra glycerin to their soaps. They are just stating the fact that their soaps contain all the natural glycerin they were 'born' with as a result of the soaping process.

Glycerin is a natural by-product formed during saponification that many of the big commercial soap companies choose to remove from their soaps in order to sell for higher profit elsewhere (i.e. to the cosmetic industry for lotions and such, and also to the defense industry). The fact that handmade soapmakers retain this natural humectant in their (our) soaps is a big plus and a major selling point for them (us), and so that's why you see it used as a 'bragging point' on a lot of internet soap businesses. :)

IrishLass

I received a sample of "Salty Mariner" from BB with my last order. It was
just enough for a 4-lb batch of salt bars- very popular!

OMG--I JUST got in my order from WSp and I was thrilled to see my SPA TONIC in there..AWESOME FO..Would be lovely in the Salt bar I make..

So far, I've used SOS lime FO for my salt bars. I loved it so much that I haven't done any further investigation. Maybe I should.

I use EO for my salt bars not FO. My favorite are Eucalyptus radiata and Litsea cubeba+Mentha piperita.

i just got in SALTY SEA AIR from Brighter Scents and it would make a FAB salt bar..Think I will try this..

Latest posts

Back