Favorite Scents for Body Butter/Lotion Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

true blue

Reaction score
I'd like to branch out this year with some FO scents for my body butters and lotion bars but I have no idea what type of scents people like most. Until now, I've always used EOs exclusively with Lavender being my best seller in this type of product. I had two other (I have a small market) feminine blends that didn't sell very well. I just don't know where to start. I don't want to carry a bunch of scents, just a handful, but because I have no idea where to start, I don't want to get scents that people don't want to 'put on' if YKWIM.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. There's no such thing as 'too much' information IMO!

Calling all fellow soapers from the sunburnt country! Who do you recommend for your bulk raw materials, fragrances, colourants/packaging etc?

Being fairly new to this, I have found that decent reliable supplies, wholesalers and suppliers of soapy stuff to Australia are as rare as hens teeth, and Australia Post charge an arm and a leg to deliver a 500gm box.

Would really appreciate some info and advice on suppliers of soap/body suitable fragrance oils/colourants/cosmetic micas/eco-glitter/packaging suitable for soap, and other essentials...especially WA based suppliers, as I am sure there are more out there than google tells me!

MY DISCOVERIES
  • I can get some BB fragrances from Aussie Soap Supplies, some micas and bio-glitter...their 'SFIC Natural Clear Melt and Pour' is the best tho!
  • Range Products is who I have used for raw materials and essential oils, I really like the way I can see what I am buying when I shop from their showroom
  • Using Aldi for Organic Coconut Oil and Light Olive Oil...plus Organic Raw Cocoa Butter as a once off
  • Have had very mixed success from AliExpress when buying silicone moulds/soap stamps.
  • If you want to sell soap you have made (using cold or hot process) in Australia, its more complicated than you think and NICNAS registration is absolutely compulsory to stay within the law. Annual registration is min. $200 per year starting 1 September, so if you sign up 1 August, your $200 gives you 1 month!

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on whether the lotion bar is for a man or a woman. My men either like unscented lotion bars or a scent like lavender or sandalwood. I think body butter is mostly a feminine product, (I may be wrong). I would research what are the most popular selling fragrance oils for women or unisex FOs.

Not sure if this is appealing to your customers, but I make my lotion bars with EOs, as I'm looking for some therapeutic value. So my muscle rubs smell different from my cramps rub or my headache pain rub, etc. I do make a few just for the fragrance and they're whatever I like at the moment.

I personally like fragrances that are not too overpowering for leave on products like body butters. Oatmeal, milk and honey fragrance is usually a crowd favourite.

Some of my go to suppliers in Oz are

Aussie Soap Supplies
Escentials of Australia
New Directions Australia
Trulux (free shipping if you spend over $50)

Are you in WA ? can't tell from your location. You can' t get away without paying for oz post as we all live so far apart. Look in the shopping recs for suppliers.

Just looked at trulux ( never heard of them), no wonder they do free postage over $50 as their CO is $30 for 1 kg :eek:, you buy it in alďi 900 grms for just under $10.

I make a few scents with fo's and eo's. My most popluar fo body butters are mango papaya, black raspberry vanilla and warm vanilla sugar. My most popular eo butters are a lavender blend and a citrus blend made with steam distilled citrus oils (cold pressed in a leave on product can cause sun sensitivity)

Thanks! I was wondering about the fruity thing because of all the fruity stuff you see in stores!

As for my opening post ... O . K ... looks like it kinda sorta got hijacked? That last stuff about Aussie suppliers isn't from me ... I'm in the Ozarks! lol

Back