Favorite liquid soap vanished overnight

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolkline777

Reaction score
I've been using a liquid soap for showers/face formulated for extremely sensitive skin. The soapmaker has disappeared. I want to make something that's as much like the original as possible. I'm not going to be selling it. So I have no idea what amounts to use when a quart would last me for a year. I've researched soapmaking enough to know that I might add an ingredient to the mix that could react badly with something else. That said, here are the ingredients in descending order: distilled water, coconut oil, hemp oil, potassium hydroxide, oil of thyme, oil of oregano, sweet orange oil. Does anyone have a recipe with instructions on how to safely make something like this in a very small batch? Thank you!

Assuming the fats and KOH are listed in the correct order by descending weight, the recipe is probably something like 30-50% hemp seed oil with the balance being coconut oil.

The diluted soap will probably be a water-thin mixture when diluted unless you use a cellulose-based thickener to increase the viscosity. It's also going to be a very drying soap with that much coconut oil -- 50% to 70% coconut is way higher than I'd normally use.

I'd make a batch using 300-500 grams total fats. Anything much smaller than 300 g of fats will be hard to mix with a stick blender IMO. I'd superfat at 2-3% and use a lye concentration of 25% (water:lye ratio of 3).

You'll also need to know (or have a good estimate of) the purity of your KOH when you set up the recipe. I suggest using the recipe calc at https://www.soapmakingfriend.com/soap-making-recipe-builder-lye-calculator/ because it allows you to enter the actual purity of the KOH.

Assuming the fats and KOH are listed in the correct order by descending weight, the recipe is probably something like 30-50% hemp seed oil with the balance being coconut oil.

The diluted soap will probably be a water-thin mixture when diluted unless you use a cellulose-based thickener to increase the viscosity. It's also going to be a very drying soap with that much coconut oil -- 50% to 70% coconut is way higher than I'd normally use.

I'd make a batch using 300-500 grams total fats. Anything much smaller than 300 g of fats will be hard to mix with a stick blender IMO. I'd superfat at 2-3% and use a lye concentration of 25% (water:lye ratio of 3).

You'll also need to know (or have a good estimate of) the purity of your KOH when you set up the recipe. I suggest using the recipe calc at Soapmaking Recipe Builder & Lye Calculator because it allows you to enter the actual purity of the KOH.
Adding, please sign up on the soap calculator so you can save the recipe. I agree with DeeAnna on all points. Good luck.

This is one I like
Coconut OIl 3%
Castor 25%
Coco Butter 5%
Olive Oil or liquid Oil of choice to equal 30% I like Meadowfoam, Hemp, Sunflower infused with carrot or Canola for sensitive Skin 35%
lard or Palm Oil 32%
superfat 1%
my recipe is 80% water as % of oils
I used to make this for a cancer patient and it was gentle enough for babies. You can also tweak to CO, but I never did. She liked it as is. Using lard would give it a pearl effect.

Latest posts

Back