Favorite fragrances to use

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizard1232

Reaction score
What's your favorite fragrance to use in your products? Do you have one or two (or more) that just make you happy when you sniff them?

I can't get enough of a lime EO I purchased. It just makes my whole day when I get a whiff of it. I literally smile the whole time I can smell it.

The more I soap, the less I have one fragrance that makes me "happy". There are so many fragrances that I like and others that I dont like that its all turing into "oh, that ones ok..."

But, I did get in one fragrance 3 weeks ago that I was amazed with. It is a Christmas pine fragrance and to me it smells just like the real thing. I'm enamored with it. It smells amazingly strong too!

Its funny, I just got in lime EO last week and I thought it was just meh.

I love cherry scent for some reason. And I'm very partial to lemon, although it's not terribly durable in CP.

Vanilla is another favorite, and I do like peppermint as well for its inherent zippy overtones!

I need to get in more fresh and woodsy scents as I don't really have any of those. I'm looking for a warm autumn scent for the coming season. Hmm. I don't even own a sandalwood or patchouli scent yet! I have a bunch of citrus-y and food like scents (although I'm moving away from the food scents for the most part!)

And yes, everyone is so different.

One of my favorites is Eucalyptus Mint and I also really like Lime Basil Mandarin. I like fresh airy or herbal/fruity. However, I have really been liking the Peach Magnolia Raspberry from NG. I don't generally like florals but it's a nice blend of floral/fruity. Using it in soap and sugar scrub. I agree with not_ally - Teakwood & Cardamom is awesome.

Im going through a rosemary blend kick: rosemary and lavender, rosemary and mints, rosemary and citrus...

Amber and patchouli would be my all time fave fragrances. Favourite soap of all time was straight up amber resin.

True that- scent is so individual to the person.

Because I love so many different scents, it's hard for me to narrow things down to a single, most favorite. It's much easier for me name a least favorite scent, which happens to be straight-up patchouli. I don't know what it is about that scent, but I just don't like it. At least not straight-up anyway- it gives me the willies to be honest. In order for me to be able to tolerate it, it has to be mixed with something, but only as a very small % of the whole.

For what it's worth, the scents that I find most appealing to my senses are fruity scents such as white peach or black raspberry vanilla (and so many more!). And I especially love certain fruits that are mixed with a florals, such as grapefruit jasmine or passionfruit rose; and also mixed with musk, such as Bossa Nova from Soapalooza , which smells like blackberry & musk to me.

I love single florals, too, such as Parma violet, rose, jasmine, honeysuckle, gardenia, lavender etc...

And I love fresh scents as well- the best of the bunch being Salty Sailor from Daystar. Tea scents make for lovely fresh scents to me, too, such as Green Tea from MMS (I love that one!).

I'm not much into foodie scents, but I do like a very small handful such as Warm Vanilla Sugar from SweetCakes, Wild Mountain Honey from Peaks, and Milk Sugar Kisses from Daystar.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some since I love so many, but the above are the ones that come to my mind right off the cuff.

IrishLass :)

I go back and forth on a personal favorite, but right now I'm in a love rectangle with: Goldilocks from Daystar, Ginger Patchouli from BB and Pumpkin Bread from Mad Oils. It's such a personal thing though... the pumpkin bread one is adored by everyone that likes pumpkin and reviled by those that don't. Ginger Patch is liked well enough by everyone (including people that don't like straight patch). I seem to be the only one that really loves Goldilocks, but no one seems to have a strong negative reaction to it.

I don't have too many different fragrances right now (still waiting on the WSP scent sale order!) but my favorite so far is WSP's Alpine Frost. In incense, I love Frankenscence & myrrh but I'm not sure how well that would work in soap. Anyone try this before?

Last edited:
Dragon's Blood, Hardwood Musk, Grapefruit Dreamsicle, Salty Air from soapsupplies.net, my favorite ocean type, Big Sur from Soapalooza and Papaya Nectar from soapsupplies.net are a few of my favorites. Soapsupplies also has a beautiful Black Raspberry Vanilla, non accelerating or discoloring.

Last edited:
I left out Nurture Soap's Forbidden Fruit in my original. I LOVE that scent so much that all I do is rave about it. I am partial to the amber scents as well, but they can sometimes be overwhelming and too sickeningly sweet. It's a fine line for my nose.

True that- scent is so individual to the person.

For what it's worth, the scents that I find most appealing to my senses are fruity scents such as white peach or black raspberry vanilla (and so many more!). And I especially love certain fruits that are mixed with a florals, such as grapefruit jasmine or passionfruit rose; and also mixed with musk, such as Bossa Nova from Soapalooza , which smells like blackberry & musk to me.

I love single florals, too, such as Parma violet, rose, jasmine, honeysuckle, gardenia, lavender etc...

And I love fresh scents as well- the best of the bunch being Salty Sailor from Daystar. Tea scents make for lovely fresh scents to me, too, such as Green Tea from MMS (I love that one!).

I'm not much into foodie scents, but I do like a very small handful such as Warm Vanilla Sugar from SweetCakes, Wild Mountain Honey from Peaks, and Milk Sugar Kisses from Daystar.

IrishLass :)

IL, Mad Oils' Earl Grey is lovely and refreshing. As for fruity, Nuture Soap's Forbidden Fruit is the one scent I cannot get enough of these days. I hear so many good things about Salty Sailor, but have yet to try it. I think I'll make an excuse to place an order with them so I finally can get a whiff of it.

Honeysuckle

When I was a child, I was gifted a package of bath bombs in my holiday stocking. In my mind they were just so luxe. Here was something adults used because they were much to fine for children. In the long box, there were six cubes, each small enough to fit in the palm of my hand. They were wrapped in gold foil with a paper band printed with a depiction of honeysuckle, the name in an elegant script below, and the scent was strong enough to taste.
It was weeks before I could even bring myself to break one of those paper bands, rather I would cup the cube in both hands and hold it to my nose, inhaling deeply. When I could finally bring myself to disturb the perfect presentation, I discovered two hard little bricks, stacked to create the cube shape, rather than use both and go through them faster, I horded them like a dragon her gold, dolling out one at a time.
Baths became a moment of luxury rather than a necessity when I held a white brick under the running water of the faucet. Every time I was swept away to exotic lands, somewhere that heady blooms climbed pillars of palaces resplendent with crystalline waterfalls that poured in porcelain pools. Each bath took me further from the reality of dusty winds scented with sagebrush and greasewood.
On occasion I would treat myself with the luxury of using both bricks, rationalizing that it would balance out if I didn’t use them for a while; and a month or two would go by with ordinary, unscented baths rooted in reality, this was repeated until there was only one left.
When I realized that there was just one last foil wrapped bath bomb left, almost a year had passed. I was older, practically an adult. I cupped the cube in my hands and held it to my nose. The scent was faint, but unmistakably there. I inhaled deeply… and went to draw a bath.

*based on a true story. Edited for splling

Last edited:
MrsSpaceship, how beautifully written . I envisioned this young girl growing up gradually and gaining an appreciation for more "adult" things in life. Your writing is so vivid! It's so easy to place yourself in the persons shoes in the story.

Cucumber Wasabi Cilantro from natures garden is probably my absolute favorite. I like fresh, green, herbal scents best but I'm also fond of citrus and inscent type FO's. A nice strong dragonsblood or straight patchouli is fabulous.

For the sweeter side of things, I like a dark chocolate, vanilla, amber and some of the sweeter fruits. Huckleberry from the sage is really nice, fruity but not too sweet.

The old stand by EO's are also nice. Cedarwood, lavender, lemongrass, peppermint, orange, anise.

Back