Favorite Fragrance Calculator?

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Oct 9, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Oct 12, 2018 #21

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

I've personally never used a fragrance calculator and really have no need for one. I've always just looked up the safe usage rate for whatever FO that the vendor provides (or what IFRA recommends) and entered it into SoapCalc, which provides me with a basic readout in %, oz. and grams of how much I need for whatever particular batch size I've entered, which is all that I need. For EOs, I reference my Essential Oil Safety reference tome by Tisserand and Young.

I honestly don't know one would go about creating a FO calculator that could feasibly go much beyond the simplicity of what amd said above - "imput usage rate % = amount to use in batch size". Anything beyond that is going to be a huge undertaking that's just begging for a migraine, because of the myriad of variables involved. Just thinking about it makes my brain want to explode. lol [​IMG]

IrishLass :)

2. Oct 12, 2018 #22

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree with Irish Lass and amd. I don't think that a FO calculator can do anything other than provide the amount needed by percentage. One company's Juicy Pear may be completely different than Juicy Pear from another company. Likewise one vendor's Apples and Oranges FO might be exactly the same as another vendor's Summer Orchard. And just another note, Bramble Berry's fragrance calculator gives usage rates based on total batch weight. Other vendors may give usage rates based on PPO. And then there is the issue of maintaining the FO calculator as fragrances are added, deleted or reformulated on a vendor site. I also find the usage rate for the particular FO I am using and use the soap calculator to do the math for me.

Essential Oils are, assuming they are 100% and not mixed with a carrier oil or cut with something else, more easily incorporated into a fragrance calculator. Lemongrass EO should be the same regardless of the vendor.

IrishLass likes this.
  3. Oct 12, 2018 #23

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Except this "advice" would perpetuate a persistent myth about flash point. Flash point is the temperature at which a chemical will burn if exposed to an open flame. Many soap making bloggers, authors, and instructors have somehow assumed flash point is related to the volatility of the fragrance, and that's totally incorrect.

Knowing the flash point of a fragrance (even if the flash point is 200F or higher) should be a reminder that fragrances should be kept away from open flame. And that's all it means.

The correct advice to follow -- Add fragrance to soap when the temp is as low as is practical.

madison and IrishLass like this.
  4. Oct 12, 2018 #24

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Thank you DeeAnna, I shall, from now on be using your advice :)

I'm a total newbie and I tried adding my EOs at different times for the three batches of hot process soap (1 success, 1 half a success, 1 total fail lol) I've so far done. Two were probably just right, and one was too late coz by the time I mixed it the soap was too hard to mold.

So I guess then, the only real need is to be reminded if you're using too much or too less of a particular EO.

And oh, I just thought about it now, maybe a tip reminding us which ones are known to accelerate trace and which ones are known to change soap color?

I have no input regarding FOs as I've not tried any so I've not even done any "research" on using them.

DeeAnna likes this.
  5. Oct 13, 2018 #25

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin

So what I'm gathering is the following;

1. Fragrances are unique toward a Vendor, so we cannot provide a true Fragrance calculator.
    2. Essential oils SHOULD all be the same, so we could provide calculations from them. If so what calculations would you like to be able to do?
    3. While we can't calculate fragrances due to Vendor differences, we could provide a range to suggest, is that accurate?

6. Oct 15, 2018 #26

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

#3 - Having an ingrediants inventory could help with this. You can lookup the safe usage rates from the company, enter them, and have them saved. You can also have another space to store your prefered usage rates for each fragrance and a notes area.

7. Nov 12, 2018 #27

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I like this idea a lot. It sounds like it could be pretty complex to build, but if we had spots to input safe usage rates for each fragrance inventory item as we input the item, it sure would save time down the road as we continued to use the same fragrances over and over again.

Also a notes area for the fragrances would be very beneficial so we can make notations like 'not safe for children under 2 years of age' or the like.

8. Nov 12, 2018 #28

jangmb

jangmb

jangmb

Jan

I don't use a fragrance calculator either. I don't like the waste of what runs down the side of the bottle. I also find it challenging to add such a small amount by weight.

I do like the idea of a notes section for this.

9. Nov 13, 2018 #29

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

I'm not quite sure how using a fragrance calculator contributes to "... the waste of what runs down the side of the bottle..." That problem can be solved by technique. Here are some tips you can try -- https://classicbells.com/soap/pourTips.html

10. Nov 13, 2018 #30

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I do use this one for EO blends: https://www.eocalc.com/enter-your-own-blend/

I believe there are others I've used in the past, but I haven't re-built all my lost bookmarks. In looking via Google, all I am finding are vendor specific calculators so not useful in this regard, I think.

11. Nov 25, 2018 #31

Kelly Frizzell

Kelly Frizzell

Kelly Frizzell

Supporting Member

I was just wondering the same question.