Favorite Fragrance Calculator?

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Oct 9, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Oct 9, 2018 #1

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin

What is your favorite fragrance calculator?

How often do you use fragrance calculators?

2. Oct 9, 2018 #2

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin

Also if we built one, it should integrate into the recipe builder right? There should be a pop-up for fragrance then you can click 'Add to Recipe'? Does that make sense?

Misschief likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2018 #3

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I do not use a fragrance calculator

redhead1226 likes this.
  4. Oct 9, 2018 #4

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

I think someone will want it, but I don't know how you would do that, since there are so many fragrance suppliers with so many fragrances. Each fragrance has it's own usage rate.

redhead1226 and MKLonestar like this.
  5. Oct 9, 2018 #5

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin

So most fragrance calculators are vendor specific?

6. Oct 9, 2018 #6

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

Most fragrances are safe in the 5% or so range, but not all. I think it would be a HUGE amount of effort for somebody to input all of that info - plus formula changes are not uncommon, but they don't exactly announce them in big bold letters.

It might be more workable to include an essential oil calculator.

But I think most of us are more than satisfied to have the ability to choose the percentage of fragrance.

I might get in trouble for this - but I'd like to see something that converts weight to volumes, for small things like fragrances. I measure my EOs and FOs by volume - I don't want a bunch of fragrance running down the side of the bottle. 1 teaspoon = 5 grams (of water) which IMO is close enough. So I'd like something that converts the amount of fragrance to teaspoons.

Admin likes this.
  7. Oct 9, 2018 #7

M1A10X

M1A10X

M1A10X

Lifetime Supporter

I think we definitely need something for essential oil calculations. Some site-specific calculators (e.g. Brambleberry) list their current fragrances, as well as those no longer available, but providing and maintaining long fragrance lists wouldn't be feasible for us. Perhaps we also add a short example list of fragrances, along with a "tip" on what can happen when soap is overloaded with fragrance, and conclue with a statement advising users to check with the producer/distributor on specific usage rates?

Chris_S and Admin like this.
  8. Oct 9, 2018 #8

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

I'll be honest - I use any ol' fragrance calculator. I think that Dragon's Blood from Mad Oils (for example) is probably close enough to DB from BB that I'll use BB's calculator. (I'm a rebel.)

9. Oct 9, 2018 #9

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

The ones I have seen are all located at the vendors' sites. Bramble Berry, the Safe and WSP each has it's own calculator for the FOs that they sell. Now, if you had a separate page or tab of useful links, it might be nice to have a list of them there.

10. Oct 10, 2018 #10

M1A10X

M1A10X

M1A10X

Lifetime Supporter

Ditto as to Artemis' feedback re where I've seen FO calculators. Like dixiedragon, I assume fragrances don't vary much, so if I want to use one, I refer to Brambleberry's calculator.

11. Oct 10, 2018 #11

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

I keep a spreadsheet of all the fragrances I have bought with purchase info, IRFA guidelines, notes about fading, discoloring, acceleration, and sticking, as well as info about the dosage rates I like best for soap, lotion, etc. A lot of it is subjective. I don't see how a generic fragrance calculator could track all that. Once I decide on the scent I want to use and choose a dosage rate, then plugging the dosage percentage into an online soap recipe calc is a piece of cake. Most calcs I've seen are set up to do that.

Chris_S likes this.
  12. Oct 10, 2018 #12

VanAshwood

VanAshwood

VanAshwood

Honestly I use BB’s calculator for most of my stuff. If they don’t have a specific EO that I’m using they usually have one that’s close enough that itll generally give me a close enough measurement or my husband figures it out for me. Right now we’re only typically making 2lb loaves of soap at a time so we try not to go over 2 oz of EO in the loave and typically try and stay under that anyways, but I’ll admit that having a fragrance/essential oil calculator add-on would be lovely...

13. Oct 10, 2018 #13

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

Supporting Member

In the old days, we used to use .5 per lb of soap for fo's and .7 per lb. of soap for eo's... this was before IFRA came out. IMHO, FO usage is pretty subjective - some people like to make soaps that are strongly scented or not. Also, the supplier makes a huge difference!! I have often found that the cheaper fragrance oils require more to get the same bang for your buck as the more expensive ones.... If you use Soapmaker software, you can note how a fragrance oil acts and whether discoloration occurs and refer back to that when you decide to use that fragrance oil. New oils, I tend to resort to the reviews on the Soap Scent Review Board even though some of it may be outdated since phthalates became the new buzz word. Always, always, always, the best way to judge usage is to make a one lb. test batch!! Buy an oz. of the oil in question, make your soap solution and add the FO. Not only will you learn how strong or weak the oil is but also if it plays nice or not.

14. Oct 10, 2018 #14

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

A shameless plug for our in-house resources --

May I also suggest checking out and contributing to the SMF Fragrance Oil Review? See https://tinyurl.com/y8yqhtlt

Contact me if you have any questions about it -- I'm the admin.

15. Oct 10, 2018 #15

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin

My favorite used to be Rainbow Meadow's EO blend calculator. If you could come up with one like that, I am sure it would be a hit.

16. Oct 11, 2018 #16

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I would suggest rather than having pre-programmed fragrances in the calculator, to make it simple and allowing the user to enter the % FO that they want to use, or the % specified by the supplier -OR- they can enter the qty that they have and the calculator will tell them the % (sometimes I only have 1-1/2 oz but I want to make a 4lb batch, it would be good to know what % that would be and then I could decide if I should make batch smaller or if I can live with a lighter scent).

For EO's, because the usages vary by EO so much and many suppliers do not provide that info, it would be good to have a pre-programmed calculator.

jangmb likes this.
  17. Oct 11, 2018 #17

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I wouldn't mind one that will alert me if I'm trying to use too much or too less of a specific EO (alone or blended).

Like say for example if I'm trying to use too much Tea Tree for a 1kg batch that it's unsafe... Or if I use too little eucalyptus when I'm trying to combine it with lemon and rosemary that I won't get neither fragrance nor benefit coz it's just too less for a particular batch volume, hence it's presence will be negligible in this soap.

Might help us newbies too if it can tell us when to add the EOs (this is for HP), depending on the flash point of each EO I used in a blend. Maybe it'll say "add EOs when your soap it's 115 (temp) or whatever. I'll admit I'm always worried I'll waste the EOs if I add em too soon but then I don't know when too soon is before it's un-mold-able haha

Hmmm.. I seem to be dreaming/asking for a lot of things from you guys lol I promise I'm not lazy, just forgetful!

18. Oct 11, 2018 #18

suitedreemz

suitedreemz

suitedreemz

I don't use a fragrance calculator for my batches. I do look up IFRA guidelines for each fragrance from their vendor when I use for the first time. Because I use a variety of vendors and because formulations can change rapidly, I do not think a built-in fragrance calculator would be practical for me. However, I would value the ability to input usage rate % and be given the amount to use specific to the batch size.

SoaperForLife and TeresaGG like this.
  19. Oct 11, 2018 #19

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Hmmm... maybe I don't know what a fragrance calculator is because I thought that's [input usage rate % = amount to use in batch size] what a fragrance calculator would do. Anyone care to clue me in?

20. Oct 11, 2018 #20

suitedreemz

suitedreemz

suitedreemz

I was thinking that a fragrance calculator is specific to a fragrance/vendor, like brambleberry's calculator that gives you light, med, strong amounts for a specific fragrance oil. I meant to convey that I wouldn't need a fragrance calculator specific to the fragrance, just to a given % usage rate. It is clearer in my head but I think my brain-fingers connection is having technical difficulties. ;)

Admin likes this.