Faux Savon de Marseilles w/ Calendula infusion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
Attempt at a Savon de Marseilles with calendula infused OO. I bought the calendula infused OO premade from a shop but I think I will try to my own infusion next time as it's cheaper.
微信图片_20200824095434.jpg

Among local soapers there was a popular Savon de Marseilles recipe: 18% CO, 10% PO, 72% OO. Not sure where the origin of that recipe that is but I think while it's decent for a shower bar it will be too drying for a facial soap. Plus the odd numbers makes it hard to pour in small batches.
I changed it into my own version: 75%OO, 5% CO, 20% PO, with 0.5% calendula petals that I had to hand pick because they only sell whole flowers. Added 4% sugar syrup so it will gel and was able to unmold after 24 hours.
Scented with orange peel EO, lemongrass EO, and mandarin orange FO. Added the smell of burnt sugar it now smells oddly like an orangesicle.
The yellow's really pretty! I hope it stays.

Very beautiful soap!
It's really hard to find information on Marseille soap. Even just an ingredient list is often absent.
I think the 72% OO comes from the "72% oils" claim that most marseille soap carries. I never fully understood what this 72% stood for. In the beginning I also thought it was 72% OO, but the standard white marseille soap generally only contains coconut (or palm kernel) oil and palm oil, while it also carries the 72% label. So it's probably something about the amount of oil vs lye water, but I'm really not sure what exactly.

Very beautiful soap!
It's really hard to find information on Marseille soap. Even just an ingredient list is often absent.
I think the 72% OO comes from the "72% oils" claim that most marseille soap carries. I never fully understood what this 72% stood for. In the beginning I also thought it was 72% OO, but the standard white marseille soap generally only contains coconut (or palm kernel) oil and palm oil, while it also carries the 72% label. So it's probably something about the amount of oil vs lye water, but I'm really not sure what exactly.
I roughly researched some history on the Marseille Soap and I read somewhere in the 1600-1700s there was a regulation saying that only soaps made with 72% or more OO can be called the Marseille soap. Apparently plant oils were hard to come by in later years, especially during wars, so it was abolished and people just use whatever they can find. Probably not the exact history but maybe something to go by.

I roughly researched some history on the Marseille Soap and I read somewhere in the 1600-1700s there was a regulation saying that only soaps made with 72% or more OO can be called the Marseille soap. Apparently plant oils were hard to come by in later years, especially during wars, so it was abolished and people just use whatever they can find. Probably not the exact history but maybe something to go by.
That's really interesting information! Hadn't heard that before..

Beautiful soap

The 72% stamp reads "72% d'huile"
which translates as 72% oil
the guarantee is that the traditional soap is pure soap (no fillers)

Attempt at a Savon de Marseilles with calendula infused OO. I bought the calendula infused OO premade from a shop but I think I will try to my own infusion next time as it's cheaper.
View attachment 49134
Among local soapers there was a popular Savon de Marseilles recipe: 18% CO, 10% PO, 72% OO. Not sure where the origin of that recipe that is but I think while it's decent for a shower bar it will be too drying for a facial soap. Plus the odd numbers makes it hard to pour in small batches.
I changed it into my own version: 75%OO, 5% CO, 20% PO, with 0.5% calendula petals that I had to hand pick because they only sell whole flowers. Added 4% sugar syrup so it will gel and was able to unmold after 24 hours.
Scented with orange peel EO, lemongrass EO, and mandarin orange FO. Added the smell of burnt sugar it now smells oddly like an orangesicle.
The yellow's really pretty! I hope it stays.
Your soap is beautiful

Latest posts

Back