Fatty Acid Profile Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been working on re-creating a new base recipe and it's making me a little crazy. I like where most of the numbers are now, but wondering if the end result will be soap that does not lather well or that melts far too quickly. To help boost lather I add sugar right now, but am ordering sorbitol very soon.

What are you're thoughts/opinions on the numbers here?

Thanks for any help or advice. :)

1618009021533.png

I honestly don't care much about longevity, because I will never run out of soap no matter how quickly it dissolves. I prefer to focus on other qualities that make the soap enjoyable for me. And one of those things is LATHER. I like both creamy and bubbly lather in one soap. I am able to achieve that by using 20% or less of CO or PKO (or a blend) and a good dose of sorbitol. Depending on what other oils are in the mix, usually my bubbly lather number is 17-20. You are at 17 right now, so if you are adding sorbitol, you may be just fine.

It may also depend on how long you cure this recipe. When using a lot of lard and/or tallow, the lather improves considerably around the 8 week mark for me. YMMV. :)

Thanks @AliOop
Lard is 50% so good to know about a bit longer cure.
How much sorbitol is good to use? Do you use the liquid as sold by wsp or powdered?

Made a couple of minor tweaks to bring bubbly up a bit.

1618060794457.png

Latest posts

Back