Fatty Acid Composition of Fats and Soap Properties

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I am a student investigating how the fatty acid composition of fats/oils affects the cleansing ability (ability to remove ink stains) and foaming capacity (amount of bubbles it can form in a specific amount of time) of the soap it produces. These soaps will be saponified with NaOH to form solid soaps. Can someone please help me explain how different fatty acids causes a difference in their properties?

Thank you

Hello, I am a student investigating how the fatty acid composition of fats/oils affects the cleansing ability (ability to remove ink stains) and foaming capacity (amount of bubbles it can form in a specific amount of time) of the soap it produces. These soaps will be saponified with NaOH to form solid soaps. Can someone please help me explain how different fatty acids causes a difference in their properties?

Thank you
@DeeAnna has a wonderful website with a wealth of information regarding all things soapy.
https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.asp#fats

Would it be possible to give a scientific explanation on why specific fatty acids, e.g. myristic acid, gives off certain properties? Thank you

Would it be possible to give a scientific explanation on why specific fatty acids, e.g. myristic acid, gives off certain properties? Thank you
To some extent, yes, there are science-based explanations forthis. But the answers are far too complicated to explain in a few paragraphs. Also understand the other additives in a soap can alter the foaming ability of the soap, so it's not an issue related only to the fatty acid composition.

I strongly recomend you use your school's library to do a literature search on this topic. One useful way to get a general overview and to get targeted references is to study the book Soap Manufacturing Technology, Luis Spitz, editor.

Latest posts

Back