Fats/butters supplementing have question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HO sunflower is a reasonably stable oil -- as or more stable as olive. I'm comfortable using it. I haven't made 100% HO sunflower soap to know how it feels, but I have made 100% HO safflower soap and 100% olive soap. They are about the same to me as far as lather quality and quantity and the feel of my skin after washing.

Thanks for the input, question, what does HO stand for? Doing a general search in my stores sunflower oil is more expensive then olive oil and none of my stores carry safflower oil so I can only order it online, because olive oilv is still a bit pricey nor can I find it in any larger then 1.5 liter bottle I was hoping that they rice bran would be of same value as I noticed is nearly half the cost of olive oil.

Also I have noticed that a lot of recipes and even soap queen use both olive & rice bran in there recipe so if both are of similar value then what's the purpose of using both, why not use 100% olive or 100% RBN?

Also I have noticed that a lot of recipes and even soap queen use both olive & rice bran in there recipe so if both are of similar value then what's the purpose of using both, why not use 100% olive or 100% RBN?

High amounts of rice bran oil is said to contribute to DOS. I would not risk it.

When I tried RBO I did have dos issues, but I have never mid oleic or HO sunflower oil, nor have I ever had dos with regular Canola. I now use HO Canola since I find it at the restaurant supply store. Costco has the best price for olive oil. You get their cheapest one that is 2 bottles for around $25. It works out even cheaper than my going to my oil supplier and picking up bulk, so I purchase my OO at Costco. It saves me putting out a hundred bucks for 5 gallons/35 lbs. I am not a big fan of high olive oil in soap but I do like a combination of Olive and Canola. There is a recipe for a soap called Canolive II on http://www.millersoap.com/soapallveg.html#Canolive that is a great soap. I kept one, using it off and on, for over a year with no dos. It was sent to me in a swap and was a lovely soap

RBO is half the price of OO. RBO adds a bit of a silky feel and takes less time to cure than OO. I have not had any DOS problems with RBO even at high percentages. I think that high percentages of RBO make a softer soap. I use it at 10% but even 20% seems fine.

The idea of RBO being a replacement for olive oil began 10 years ago, but it's not quite as true as it's sometimes made out to be. This suggestion is often passed along with the warning label missing.

Olive oil is an oleic oil, because the characteristic fatty acid it's composed of is oleic acid. The most direct replacement would be another oleic oil. In terms of availability and price, these days I would say that the best choices are the new high-oleic versions of oils such as sunflower, safflower or canola (I would consider them in that order).

RBO is an unusual oil that's harder to classify than most. It has a good helping of oleic and palmitic acid, which is good for soaping. But unlike olive and other oleic oils, it also contains a generous amount of linoleic acid. In large quantities, this is not good for soaping. Linoleic saponifies slowly, adds too much softness, and is prone to oxidation (orange discoloration or spots).

To put it simply, the usage rate for olive oil is universally agreed to be up to 100% of your recipe and for RBO it's much less that 100%. There's no official number, but we could say something like 40% maximum, and personally I wouldn't go that high.

It would be educational to look at the fatty acid numbers at the lower left of the SoapCalc screen. For directly comparable oils that are suitable for substitution, the numbers there will be similar. If you click on olive oil and then rice bran oil in the list, you will see how different the fatty acid numbers are. That means the oils are fundamentally different.

Latest posts

Back