Fat ratio 60:40

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debby

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to soapmsking and wanted to join your forum to gain more knowledge - hopefully someone would be kind enough to help me! I’ve made a few batches of soap folliwing soap calci and I’ve been quite pleased with my results.
I realised yesterday that I am following the 60:40 rule for sat and unsat fats the wrong way around! Is this a problem? Thanks

There's nothing wrong with that. If you like the results of that than I guess you're good to go. Congrats on the first step towards the addiction.

I’ve never followed that rule and haven’t had issues. Up to you if you want to care about it.

i care more about how certain oils make my skin feel. less than 25% coconut, less than 50% olive.... it’s what works for me. Of course I still make the occasional salt bar or Castile, so I still don’t follow strict rules.

There's nothing wrong with that. If you like the results of that than I guess you're good to go. Congrats on the first step towards the addiction.
Thanks for that - just had a strange feeling I had done everything completely wrong and I’ve done quite a few batches! One is ready and seems fine. I’ll now try and work out a recipe with the fats the ‘right’ way just to see the difference!

I’ve never followed that rule and haven’t had issues. Up to you if you want to care about it.

i care more about how certain oils make my skin feel. less than 25% coconut, less than 50% olive.... it’s what works for me. Of course I still make the occasional salt bar or Castile, so I still don’t follow strict rules.
That’s great to know! Makes me feel a lot more confident. I do check everything else too and usually the oliec content is a little high. I suppose practise will make my perfect bar one day! I’m on my seventh different batch so I’ll know in June! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back