Fan Soap Adventures (aka Mental Note to Self)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusti

Reaction score
The planned blend of WSP Apple Pie and BB MacIntosh for the Cap ACCELERATE like a beach.

Will need to rethink how to do this three color thing with it. Cripes. McIntosh is so well behaved on its own that I totally did not expect what just happened. I'm afraid to see what this cut is going to look like later.

I am always leery of mixing two FOs, or FOs and EOs (like the batch in the molds right now) for that very reason. You can take two scents that are very well behaved on their own, and have quite an adventure plopping and praying.

Yeah, I've done the blending plenty before and knew it could go a little sideways, but planned a 3 color ItP swirl anyhow, like a dork. I knew I was in trouble when I started dividing up the batter and noticed that my nice light trace had turned to pudding in under a minute. Cue the frantic color mixing and just getting the stuff into the mold. I ended up layering each color in, stuck a spoon down in it and rocked it around some. The top of it looks like a disaster, so I expect the cut to be...interesting.

ETA: Bwahaha! This blend does need looking after for sure. I had to take it out of its wrappings it is HOT!

Last edited:
Volcano alert!!

LOL! No volcano, no cracking and no separation, but it was hard enough to cut once it cooled off, so I went ahead and cut it. It's not the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but it's not awful I don't guess. Looks like it tried to make glycerin rivers but didn't fully manage.

I guess at least now I know for the future what this blend will do. No need for the heating pad for this one and probably let it reach gel and then unwrap it and set it out.

Or just mix the FOs in separate colors.

The batch I made today went from just emulsified to difficult to stick a spoon in it within 30 seconds while NOT BEING STIRRED!!! Darn FO/EO combos! I had to let it start to gel to even plop and pray. Forget the dainty drop swirl I had in mind.

16998787_10211679561041494_2246622069651089419_n.jpg

Pitchers! The swirl is mostly from me frantically poking a spoon down in it and rocking and twisting it around. I adjusted the blade on that failed soap cutter from Amazon so I could actually plane bars. The difference it makes is awesome. At least it wasn't a total fail and now I know.

It's already hard as a brick.

Chemistry is fun!

You are definitely not alone in your soapy misadventures. Sometimes I think that the unexpected mishaps in soap making are most of the fun...LOL. BTW, your soap turned out very pretty. Happy accidents are always the best. :)

Latest posts

Back