Family Hiccup Remedy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our family has always used a swig of apple cider vinegar or dill pickle juice to get rid of hiccups. Of course everyone is different but this has always worked for anyone we tell this trick to. Apparently this is what my Step-dads Mom did when they were growing up on the farm in Oklahoma and always had a big crock of dill pickles. LOL, it would even worked if I got hiccups from partying to much...

a teaspoon of lemon juice :)
I usually got them when eating without drinking something so water solved the situation if not I had a tsp of above:)

Just a few days ago I had hiccups, which annoys the crap out of me, but I read to massage the roof of your mouth with a q-tip. That sounded gross to me. So I just massaged the roof of my mouth with my tongue. My hiccups stopped within 15 seconds of doing this.

I had a teacher tell me once that all of these hiccup remedies work because they require some form of concentration. He said that if you concentrate on something, it will usually correct your hiccups. It doesn't always work but that's why when you say to someone "I have the hiccups, watch!" You don't hiccup until you give up on having one!!

Plug both ears while drinking a beverage of choice. It can be hard to do by yourself, but straws come in handy for this.

I have a friend who cures hiccups by standing with his arms outstretched to the sides and his head tilted back while someone gives him a sip of water. Looks strange, but works for him.

For me? I focus on my breathing, using a pattern that was a huge focus of the meditation in a YA fantasy series I enjoy. Best part is that it's not really noticeable. lol

Back