Fall soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinbago27

Reaction score
I wanted to share my latest soaps with you guys…

Btw…question… I accidentally poured in a lot more castor oil than in my recipe. So far it’s not sticky, but would there be any other issues that may come up? I hope the soap is not ruined… it’s the Halloween colored one in the picture.

Attachments

• 328B9EF0-D56E-4B9A-8291-C188857B34EF.jpeg
    328B9EF0-D56E-4B9A-8291-C188857B34EF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3D7DBC32-FE52-474F-9F5D-7F5B6B223D03.jpeg
    3D7DBC32-FE52-474F-9F5D-7F5B6B223D03.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • AE0A1509-73F0-48E9-8708-8DBB24456F7F.jpeg
    AE0A1509-73F0-48E9-8708-8DBB24456F7F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Although I wouldn’t be any help to your question..
That’s a Beautiful colour mix. What did you put on the purple green soap on top if I may ask? So pretty 🤩 love these drop swirl soaps. Really vibrant!!

Thank you so much! On top it is sea salt with glitter.

I hope others respond because I like how this soap looks and would hate for it to be no good as a soap… that’s the whole point isn’t it, to make usable soap? 🤦🏾‍♀️

Castor oil acts as a natural humectant. It can attract moisture from the air. Too much might cause your soap to sweat.

Extra oil raises your superfat and can cause soft soap. Since yours doesn't seem soft or sticky, it will be fine. too much castor specifically can reduce lather but you'd need quite a lot extra.
it would be helpful to know how much should have used and how much was actually used. Its really recommended to measure each oil individually so this doesn't happen, especially liquid ones.

Thank you so much! On top it is sea salt with glitter.

I hope others respond because I like how this soap looks and would hate for it to be no good as a soap… that’s the whole point isn’t it, to make usable soap? 🤦🏾‍♀️
Just a hint, If you knew how much extra you could have run it through a soap calc and figured how much lye you would need to make up for the extra lye. Also, in the future, it is advisable to weigh out, (tare) your empty soaping container, and write down the weight. I always kept the weight of my soaping buckets market on the bottom of each bucket. that way if you overpour just weigh your bucket and minus the tare weight, then you know how much you overpoured. I always poured all my oils in one bucket so there were times I overpoured, usually, it would be so little it did not matter but once in a while it would be enough to matter and this method would save my batch.

Also, if you are selling or even giving away your soaps please tell the recipients to remove the salt decoration on the tops of the soap, because those heavy grains of salt, while they may look attractive can lacerate the skin. Anything over fine salt can be very abrasive, I prefer extra fine.

Really beautiful soap there, especially that drop swirl! Stunning.
In order to comment on the extra castor oil, it would help to get your recipe and the weight of the castor oil. I love castor oil and use it at 4-6%. I have had the experience of accidentally over-pouring oils so then I just have to run the new weights through a lye calculator. Good luck to you.

Back