Fall is for soaping!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterPoor

Reaction score
I started my soap making adventures in April, but it quickly got to hot for soaping when you don't have AC. The cool weather has returned and with it, the soaping bug. If this keeps up, I'm going to need a bigger....everything.

The back row is my no named fall soap, Nature's Garden's Autumn Magic FO, colored with tumeric.
In front, in the cute little flower mold, is a not colored travel soap, scented with BB's Island Escape and a pinch of their Coconut. It totally smells like blue berry muffins.
Hiding beside it is Gunslinger # 2. Scented with BB sandalwood, Beau Brummel, & Leather FOs.
Up front and personal is the winter soap, reminding you to not forget about honeybees, even in the winter. It is scented with NG's Alpine Snowdrift and a pinch of peppermint
11951960_698976370474_2575643009810427487_n.jpg

I have more soap I want to make, but these were 2 lb batches each and I have run out of storage room.

Isn't it though?

Yesterday was a Fall-y, Gloomy, Dreary, Dark Day.

I decided I would either make a big pot of Cream of Potato, Leak & Bacon Soup....
Or
That I would Soap.

I soaped.

It felt so good (because I haven't soaped in 4 months); And it was the perfect day for it... because as you said: Fall IS for Soaping.

Love your soaps and wishing we had your weather!

Don't feel too jealous. We set the new record for highest temp yesterday & today. Yesterday's record was 90* set in 2001. We hit 95* Today's record was 92*, which was set in 2007. We hit 97*. It should never be 97* in Sept, that is just wrong.

Good thing I got my soaping done over the weekend

94 here today with 82% humidity and has barely cooled down at 10:30 pm to the high seventies....we got through the lion's share of the summer without missing a.c. and here it is September with one of the most uncomfortable nights this year...personally, I like soaping when the wood stove is cranking..I guess all in due time...:wink:

94 here today with 82% humidity and has barely cooled down at 10:30 pm to the high seventies....we got through the lion's share of the summer without missing a.c. and here it is September with one of the most uncomfortable nights this year...personally, I like soaping when the wood stove is cranking..I guess all in due time...:wink:

I feel all of that. Looks like you're in CT, I'm right across the boarder in NY, so I'm sure we're experiencing the same sorts of weather. I'm surfing the net, waiting for the bedroom to get under 75*.

I am so proper jealous of all your weather we did not even have a summer in uk this year and my m&p still sweats. Your soaps are very pretty mind.

It's been 95+ here as long as I can remember...a/c is overtimed at 81. Was relieved when it was "only" 80 outside when I woke up.... what's this I hear about coconut oil being a solid??

I love the sound of the Gunslinger...and thelooks of the pink honeybee soap :)

This is a little off topic, but what do you do with your soaps when the humidity is really high? Since I am in Alabama, we deal with that allot. I also don't run our air conditioning (window unit) very much and just leave the windows open. Also, is there a certain type of soap I should stay away from trying since I know they will be in the heat/humidity during the summer?

Critter, I LOVE the honey bees! And the little flower. They're perfect, and it is perfect weather for soaping. I want molds now, darn you fellow soapers!

This is a little off topic, but what do you do with your soaps when the humidity is really high? Since I am in Alabama, we deal with that allot. I also don't run our air conditioning (window unit) very much and just leave the windows open. Also, is there a certain type of soap I should stay away from trying since I know they will be in the heat/humidity during the summer?

I live in a high humidity area in w. TN, and the room my soaps are in does not have a/c. My curing soaps sit on a rack on the top shelf of my plant stand above my fig tree and its broad spec grow lights. I have two small, high powered fans (like those out of a computer) blowing constantly to keep air moving over my plants (and indirectly, my soaps). My first curing batch didn't have any issues that I know of. I also don't really have any place else that is low traffic enough to put them without them being harmed by dog or husband, so I can't compare to a less breezy location.

My thought is that regardless of where my soap cures, it is eventually going to end up in the bathroom that has higher humidity than outside (most days, anyway). I just do the same thing regardless of humidity.

My New Molds!

I am so excited! These are my new custom made molds! We spent (Canadian) Thanksgiving on the Farm (1 hour and 45 minutes from a dollar store or a Tim's/Dunkin' Donut and 8 hr drive for us), with MIL & Brother in law. Although he was reluctant to make anything not capable of food production, I think he did a fantastic job! I passed him a box of crayons, said this represents a bar of soap! I don't care what it looks like, as long as it works!

Please comment so I can show him they were worth it! His Christmas Cookie Stash is a long way off! MIL is a control freak so we have to smuggle the cookies to my life long bachelor brother in law!

They have no bungee cords! No clamps! And no locks! The slab mold goes together almost like Lincoln Logs! It doesn't even have glue! The white thing is the backside of a plastic placemat, I used to line it. (I only had one with me)[/FONT]

image.jpg

I live in a high humidity area in w. TN, and the room my soaps are in does not have a/c. My curing soaps sit on a rack on the top shelf of my plant stand above my fig tree and its broad spec grow lights. I have two small, high powered fans (like those out of a computer) blowing constantly to keep air moving over my plants (and indirectly, my soaps). My first curing batch didn't have any issues that I know of. I also don't really have any place else that is low traffic enough to put them without them being harmed by dog or husband, so I can't compare to a less breezy location.

This is exactly what I was wondering about, as I usually don't run my a/c all day even during the summer and not all our rooms have a/c. This gives me hope that the soaps will be ok, but just in case, I think maybe I need to stick to smaller batches to make sure (since I am a newbie, I was planning on doing that anyway). Thanks so much for your reply!

My thought is that regardless of where my soap cures, it is eventually going to end up in the bathroom that has higher humidity than outside (most days, anyway). I just do the same thing regardless of humidity.

I hadn't thought of that!

I lived in Louisiana, now live in deep eastern Texas. Same level of humidity as Mississippi and Alabama. I have always preferred a 6-8 week cure to a 4-5 week cure. It may be the higher humidity, it may be just me. But that is my only concession to the humidity.

Latest posts

Back