Failed Turquoise (which I then rebranded to cobble stone) Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
Sorry for the blurry photo. I accidentally deleted the OG high resolution photo and was too lazy to set up another studio shot.

I made a batch of soap dough first in different shades of the turquoise color, or what was supposed to be turquoise color. After letting it sit for three days I rolled the dough into small lumps, then made a small batch of black soap batter, which I accidentally used activated charcoal instead of black oxide to color. I thought I could squish the soap dough lumps into a random pattern but it turned way too round. Man, isn't this batch full of accidents.
Anyways, I decided to just name them marine cobblestones and call it a day lol. Now that I came to know of a better way (dusting soap dough with charcoap directly and press together), I'm looking forward to a more turquoise-like batch in the future ;).

Scented with lemongrass kiwi cassis from NG- didn't like it OOB but it was wonderful and strong in soap.

cobble.jpg

Although it wasn't what you had planned, it's still really pretty!
I look forward to seeing the next attempt too!

I’d like to have accidents like that! What a fun soap to make! The picture is fantastic too.

Are you saying the dough was too firm to squish enough?
Can I ask how you “built” the soap and what type of mold? I have a men’s fragrance oil that would be perfect for a cobblestone soap.

I’d like to have accidents like that! What a fun soap to make! The picture is fantastic too.

Are you saying the dough was too firm to squish enough?
Can I ask how you “built” the soap and what type of mold? I have a men’s fragrance oil that would be perfect for a cobblestone soap.
It was very soft to squish into lumps by hand. I actually had to let it still for few minutes before working because it was too sticky. However, once mixed in with the soap batter, it became very slippery so any attempt to squash it with my spatula or hand only made it shift around instead of changing its shape.
I used an acrylic mold, but any regular loaf mold would yield similar result. After mixing the soap dough pieces with a thin batter, I just scopped up some with my (gloved) hands and tried to press them into the mold as tightly as I can. I meant to squish them hence using hand, but I imagine you could just mix thoroughly and pour. I used 400g oil to make the turquoise part and 200g oil for the black batter, so you can adjust from there.
The top will be uneven due to the turquoise pieces. After the soap hardened, I sliced off the uneven (and ashy because I forgot to cover lol) top then slice into bars.

Latest posts

Back