Failed salt bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atiz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Haven't been here for a while (except lurking sometimes) due to work and having way too much soap already... But maybe someone could enlighten me on this one.

I made a salt bar a couple of months ago that I absolutely love. (Recipe is by @IrishLass as found on this forum somewhere; 100% CO, 13% SF, 30% salt -- I used pickling/canning salt just because that's what I had.) It's only a 2-month old batch, but I love it really much and use it in the shower daily. Great bubbles :)

Anyway, I thought I should make another batch so that when I run out of the previous one I would have some nicely cured ones. I also thought I would experiment a little, so did it differently this time. The result: taking forever (3 hrs) to harden; after 10 days it is still very sticky/kind of mushy and a little soft (I can dent it with my finger).
Here is the recipe: 85% CO, 10% AvO, 5% Castor. 13% SF, 40% salt. Lye concentration 30%; divided the liquid, used aloe juice for dissolving the lye 50/50, the rest is Coconut milk mixed in with the oils.
I had light-medium trace when added the salt. No other additives except for an FO that seemed to behave well.

A few guesses:
- Castor doesn't go well with salt bars?
- I did not discount the fat for the CM, so the superfat is actually quite a bit higher than 13% and maybe too high? (But that is also true of my first batch and that was fine.)
- maybe it will get better eventually? But the first batch was so nice even the next day, hard and smooth as a rock.

Has anyone had anything similar? Any suggestions?

That is really odd. Castor is fine in salt bars and that recipe should be nice. The extra sf from the coconut milk shouldn't be a issue either, I use 20% sf in my salt bars.

The only thing I can think of is either a mistake with weighing the lye or your lye has went bad. Have you tried doing a zap test? Has it been cut?

Yes, I cut it after unmolding. I guess measuring mistake is a possibility, although I always try to be quite careful about that. I zap tested after unmolding and it was fine. Yeah, very odd. I will see if my lye is okay; it is pretty fresh (and I only buy very small quantities), but maybe I should try it in another small batch.
I tried a small bit on my hands the other day. It feels okay, a little oily perhaps. But it's just a sticky mess, too sticky even to bevel :(

Could it have been a quality issue with the Avocado oil having too many unsaponifiables?
(I'm reaching, here.)
Where is @DeeAnna? lol

I have no idea. My recent batch of salt bars had 80% coconut oil and 20% avocado oil with 35% ppo canning salt and 15% superfat. The batch saponified and hardened just as expected -- no problems.

I'm guessing a measurement error as the most likely issue -- either too much fat or too little NaOH.

Yeah, maybe a measurement error -- I had just never done that before and am usually pretty good at being precise with these kinds of things. Anyway, maybe it will get a bit better in a few months; I really like the scent and color of it, it would be a real bummer if I had to toss it.

Speaking of which: if I make a confetti soap with this in another salt bar with less SF (let say 10%), would the SFs "even out"? Maybe that's what I should do.

Latest posts

Back