Failed attempt and rebatching

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a failed attempt of soap with three colors, red, orange and yellow. I added plumeria and orange EO. It was baaaaad!!! My DH says it smells like a urinal cake. I think he’s right! It separated and oil was floating on the top. After 3 days I attempted taking it out of the mold and it was squishy and fluid was in the middle. So for the first time I decided to rebatch. Picture below. I thought I would add more fragrance to improve the scent .. so I put more plumeria in. I think it rebatched well , but it stinks! Like pee bathrooms in a gas station. Can I rebatch again and try to add more scent of something else?? I may not be able to use it with all the scent, but has anyone done this before? Rebatch twice? 908 gms of oil with 1.5 oz plumeria and 1% orange EO so far

Attachments

• BD389A0F-AEA5-4110-869B-8BAD0F8A5385.jpeg
    BD389A0F-AEA5-4110-869B-8BAD0F8A5385.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 241FCCC5-6A47-48FF-BCAB-B7A49E85FEDC.jpeg
    241FCCC5-6A47-48FF-BCAB-B7A49E85FEDC.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 36
Adding more scent isn't going to fix it. I tried the same thing when I was new to soaping.

You could tuck it away and see if the scent improves with time, throw it away or try salting out that will remove most of the scent and color so you could re-scent it differently
https://classicbells.com/soap/saltOutTut.asp

Agree with @Obsidian. The only other option I see is to mix up another batch of soap with a different scent, add this one into it, and then hot process the whole thing. But then you risk losing even more oils and scent. If you decide to try this, I'd put a cotton ball with the desired scent into a closed baggie with a bit of the stinky soap. Let it sit for a day, then open the bag and see if the smells have played well together.

Agree with @Obsidian. The only other option I see is to mix up another batch of soap with a different scent, add this one into it, and then hot process the whole thing. But then you risk losing even more oils and scent. If you decide to try this, I'd put a cotton ball with the desired scent into a closed baggie with a bit of the stinky soap. Let it sit for a day, then open the bag and see if the smells have played well together.
I wonder if I could just half the stinky loaf and make a 1 pound loaf and hot process together? I’ll try putting a bar in a bag with the cotton ball. That sounds interesting . I’ll keep you and @Obsidian posted.

I'm sorry that this has nothing to do with your question, but I just noticed your avatar and had to say hello to a fellow goat owner! Hello, fellow goat owner! 🤭 The goat in your picture is so cute!

I hope you find a way to resolve your stinky soap issue!

I'm sorry that this has nothing to do with your question, but I just noticed your avatar and had to say hello to a fellow goat owner! Hello, fellow goat owner! 🤭 The goat in your picture is so cute!

I hope you find a way to resolve your stinky soap issue!
Hi @MellonFriend!! I love fellow goat owners!!! What kind of goats do you have? How many? Are you making soap with the milk? The goat in the picture is Basil. She’s a sweetheart. she’s a year old now ❤️ And thanks!

Hi @MellonFriend!! I love fellow goat owners!!! What kind of goats do you have? How many? Are you making soap with the milk? The goat in the picture is Basil. She’s a sweetheart. she’s a year old now ❤ And thanks!
I have kinder goats and right now I have six. Three does, a wether, and two bucks. How about you? I am only making soap with their milk. Basil does look like a sweetheart. 🥰

I wonder if I could just half the stinky loaf and make a 1 pound loaf and hot process together? I’ll try putting a bar in a bag with the cotton ball. That sounds interesting . I’ll keep you and @Obsidian posted.
I just used Dee Anna‘s method for salting out soap. A great deal of the fragrance was removed in the process along with some color. I salted it out twice, so in answer to an earlier question, you could repeat the process if the first time didn’t work to your satisfaction. When I was happy with the results of salting out, I added chromium green for color and Linden blossom fragrance. I posted information with pics and links in the thread about brine soap. Hope this may help!

I may not be able to use it with all the scent, but has anyone done this before? Rebatch twice?
FWIW, I have. I had an order I needed to get out by the end of the week. Made the soap; rebatched 2 days later; rebached 2 days after that. Worked for me. 😁

I assume the second picture above is your finished soap after rebatch. Correct?
If that is the case, it's lovely!
I would do nothing except move it somewhere where you don't have to look at it or smell it. Out of sight; out of mind. Soap, especially GM soap, can smell off at first. Give it a chance to mellow for a month or so and then decide what to do. You might be nicely surprised. ;)

FWIW, I have. I had an order I needed to get out by the end of the week. Made the soap; rebatched 2 days later; rebached 2 days after that. Worked for me. 😁

I assume the second picture above is your finished soap after rebatch. Correct?
If that is the case, it's lovely!
I would do nothing except move it somewhere where you don't have to look at it or smell it. Out of sight; out of mind. Soap, especially GM soap, can smell off at first. Give it a chance to mellow for a month or so and then decide what to do. You might be nicely surprised. ;)
Thank you @Zany_in_CO . I have moved it out of the way so I can't see it or smell it and neither can my DH ! I took one bar out and put it in a separate bag with a cotton ball scented with hot chocolate FO, @AliOop
(I pressed send too soon). The one bar actually is starting to smell like hot chocolate.... sooo.... I'm going to wait a bit and then decide whether I want to rebatch again and add the FO, or forget it, OR maybe it won't stink anymore.... I'll let you all know after a month of sitting on it.

I have kinder goats and right now I have six. Three does, a wether, and two bucks. How about you? I am only making soap with their milk. Basil does look like a sweetheart. 🥰
Cool! I had to read up on kinder goats as I haven't heard of them! They seem a little bit like Nigerians? That's what I have. I actually have a few too many right now and am in the process of selling babies. I have 3 bucks and a wether, 12 does and 14 babies. I'm currently milking 9 mamas. I make cheese and started making soap a few years back. I just love them! :D

They are kind of like Nigerians but a little more dual purpose. Milk and meat are more equally bred for. 😉 In my opinion, they don't really look like Nigis at all. Sounds like you are dealing with what's called "Goat Math". You start out with a few and somehow you always end up with more than you need. 😅 Nine sure is a lot to milk!

Last edited:
They are kind of like Nigerians but a little more dual purpose. Milk and meat are more equally bred for. 😉 In my opinion, they don't really look like Nigis at all. Sounds like you are dealing with what's called "Goat Math". You start out with a few and somehow you always end up with more than you need. 😅 Nine sure is a lot to milk!
Geez, where was I? Yes you’re right! You know the saying… goats are like potato chips.. you just can’t have one lol! I have managed to sell some to some great families this summer. Now I just have to watch how many I breed this winter!

How about making some embed soap like this @Basil? Slice yours thinly in half, then use with an entire new batch with a strong scent that will take over. Not sure if you're patchouli fan or not, but that'll do it.
Gosh Kiwi, I didn’t see this! Sorry! That’s a great idea! And I AM a patchouli fan big time! I’ll let you know when I try it ! I still have the soap in a box 😂

The cost of salting out soap is a consideration for me when it comes to saving a batch. The cost of distilled water makes it unreasonable and I would never be able to use my very hard tap water. I would probably go with the embed or confetti options and a maybe base note in the new soap. I recently read that base notes + some types of florals when mixed produce a “powdery” type scent.

Back