Facial soap recommendation?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Can anyone recommend a recipe for a facial bar? My skin tends to get oily with some dry spots, I'd like something that won't dry it out or encourage it to produce more oil.

I would go with a pure castile. Non-drying but will still get you clean.

This works for me

Olive Leaf Soap:

3 lbs. soap
3/4 cup ground olive leaf
1/4 cup sugar

After making soap add the ground olive leaf and sugar. Mix well. Pour in mold and let cure. These should be ready to use in 2-3 days

Purchased olive leaf at www.bulkherbstore.com

P.S. Lavender eo is great also!

Anybody use bentonite clay in their facial bars?
Think I could add some to the shea butter or castile recipe?
I have a lot of clay on hand.

I use bentonite clay in my Charcoal/Clay soaps. I swirl them black & white, with the bentonite clay in the white part of the swirl, of course. I love the Charcoal/Clay soap as a facial soap and so do my customers.

Jola said:
Anybody use bentonite clay in their facial bars?
Think I could add some to the shea butter or castile recipe?
I have a lot of clay on hand.

I personally find bentonite to be a little drying so I wouldn't use it for a facial bar. For face, I prefer rose or white kaolin clay. HTH :)

Lindy said:
Try a Shea Butter Bar -

OO - 75%
CO - 15%
Shea - 10%

That is my favourite facial bar

Lindy, do you find that using coconut oil instead of castor oil (in the same amount) gives you a good fluffy lather in this recipe? Also, how would you describe the color of this bar (white, ivory, light yellow, etc).

Reason I ask, is I actually created a bar similar to this over the weekend, only I used 10% castor oil instead of 15% coconut (with 15% shea). Would like to compare this with yours.

It's a very light ivory - here's a photo of one that's curing right now

SheaButterBar-3.jpg

The coconut gives a wonderful bubbly lather when combined with the OO & Shea - okay CO with OO always creates a beautiful lather.... :D

Cheers
Lindy

I tend to stick to around 8% with most bars although I do vary between 5% - 10%. I have gone as high as 30% but that was with a CO bar which under hot lights tends to sweat a bit but the soap feels wonderful. I just have to find a cooler spot on the kiosk to display it.... :?

Back