Facial Mist

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i”m trying to develop a new facial mist recipe to go with a face oil I make. I’d like hydrosol as the base, and I’m looking for other water based additives that I can use so that I don’t need to add preservative. I can add some if necessary. I think I have optiphen. But, I’d rather just use water based ingredients. Maybe some colloidal silver, grapefruit seed extract? Uncle Harry’s has a facial toner mist with oils and these are the only preservatives. But, I’m sure they lab tested it.
Any ideas for water based facial mist ingredients?
Thanks in advance!

i”m trying to develop a new facial mist recipe to go with a face oil I make. I’d like hydrosol as the base, and I’m looking for other water based additives that I can use so that I don’t need to add preservative. I can add some if necessary. I think I have optiphen. But, I’d rather just use water based ingredients. Maybe some colloidal silver, grapefruit seed extract? Uncle Harry’s has a facial toner mist with oils and these are the only preservatives. But, I’m sure they lab tested it.
Thanks in advance!
I make a Rose Water spray...with Aloe Vera gel and witch hazel. Sometimes I add chamomile or lavender EO or both. I make a small amount at a time for personal use and since everything I put in it is store bought and already has preservatives and it is used up pretty quickly. But this is also the only thing that I make that could potentially need a preservative and I've never worked with preservatives before. But my daughter and I really like the facial spray!

I make a Rose Water spray...with Aloe Vera gel and witch hazel. Sometimes I add chamomile or lavender EO or both. I make a small amount at a time for personal use and since everything I put in it is store bought and already has preservatives and it is used up pretty quickly. But this is also the only thing that I make that could potentially need a preservative and I've never worked with preservatives before. But my daughter and I really like the facial spray!
That sounds like a nice spray!
I am specifically trying to find ingredients that wouldn’t need a preservative when mixed together, so no oils, water based only.

@violets2217 I know there is a preservative in aloe Vera gel, which I’d like to use, but then I think adding hydrosol to it would change the ratio of what’s needed. So, maybe I should avoid it for this specific use.

That sounds like a nice spray!
I am specifically trying to find ingredients that wouldn’t need a preservative when mixed together, so no oils, water based only.
So silly question... I always thought it was the opposite- anything water based would need a preservative, like lotions and such. Which is why I stuck with lotion bars and oil facial serums.

@violets2217 I know there is a preservative in aloe Vera gel, which I’d like to use, but then I think adding hydrosol to it would change the ratio of what’s needed. So, maybe I should avoid it for this specific use.
Most recipes I see for rose water facial spray are just rose water and witch hazel with EO's added. We just love the cooling of the aloe. :p

My understanding is that GSE is an antioxidant for the oils not a preservative for the water-based ingredients.

I am pretty sure there isn’t anything other than a preservative that can help you prevent spoilage of water-based ingredients. Otherwise, folks would be all over that bc everyone wants (but cannot safely achieve) a preservative-free lotion, mist, etc.

Leucidal is a fairly “natural” one but you’d have to check for compatibility with your chosen ingredients.

So silly question... I always thought it was the opposite- anything water based would need a preservative, like lotions and such. Which is why I stuck with lotion bars and oil facial serums.
You are correct - water-based ingredients and products need preservatives.

If you are concerned about preventing rancidity in oil-based ingredients, that calls for an antioxidant. Some people also add a preservative to their oil-based products if they will be used in a way that exposes them to water, e.g., wet hands, in the shower, etc.

My recommendation if you are going to sell it you have it plate tested and challenged tested the same as you would a lotion. Even though hydrosols contain preservatives they are only preserved for the hydrosol and will not preserve any additives you add to your facial spray. All products containing Water have to be preserved even if they contain products that contain preservatives, that is where it becomes tricky, and anything with botanicals tends to be bug food. If you are going to go with the so-called natural preservatives you especially want them tested since almost all of them are still not extremely reliable. Remember the "big boy" have full in-house testing and at times they still have recalls, so how do you think that leaves us.

It was my impression that oils and water, or botanical additives needed a preservative, but that water based ingredients alone did not. I‘m not opposed to preservatives, and could add one.

I’m considering just mixing 3 kinds of hydrosol, which alone don’t need preservatives, and adding a bit of ACV. This is what I’ve used for myself forever. The hydrosol are already shelf stable and don’t have preservatives. So, wouldn’t that work?

I’m considering just mixing 3 kinds of hydrosol, which alone don’t need preservatives, and adding a bit of ACV. This is what I’ve used for myself forever. The hydrosol are already shelf stable and don’t have preservatives. So, wouldn’t that work?
Definitely can't answer this question... but have another of my own! Sorry...:confused: Does the hydrosol cover the ACV smell? I really do like the benefits of vinegar in all areas, but despise the smell! Can't wait to hear how this spray works out for you!

Definitely can't answer this question... but have another of my own! Sorry...:confused: Does the hydrosol cover the ACV smell? I really do like the benefits of vinegar in all areas, but despise the smell! Can't wait to hear how this spray works out for you!
I just use a small amount of ACV, and I can still smell it, but mixed with the hydrosol smell. I like the smell though.

Or maybe I’ll just add some optiphen, then I could add some aloe distillate without worrying. How can I get it tested?

Thanks in advance!
Have you checked out humblebeeandme.com Run by Marie Rayma, she has several face mist recipes. They could be a starting point for you.

I wish I could buy face mist and put my own label on it. I really love the face oil I make, but I get intimidated by trying to make a mist. The oil needs to be applied to a wet face. I always tell people to just buy a facial mist, but that seems silly.
I believe Wholesale Supplies Plus has a base for a mist that you may like. Also maybe Scented Expressions, and Elements Bath and Body.

My recommendation if you are going to sell it you have it plate tested and challenged tested the same as you would a lotion. Even though hydrosols contain preservatives they are only preserved for the hydrosol and will not preserve any additives you add to your facial spray. All products containing Water have to be preserved even if they contain products that contain preservatives, that is where it becomes tricky, and anything with botanicals tends to be bug food. If you are going to go with the so-called natural preservatives you especially want them tested since almost all of them are still not extremely reliable. Remember the "big boy" have full in-house testing and at times they still have recalls, so how do you think that leaves us.
What is " Plate & Challenge Tested Mean.?

It was my impression that oils and water, or botanical additives needed a preservative, but that water based ingredients alone did not....

I though a hydrosol is a botanical ingredient. It's an extract of plant material, right???

Here's a test to prove your theory -- Leave a glass of unsweetened tea or coffee on the counter for a few days. Does it mold?

A product that provides a source of water AND a source of food for microbes needs a chemical preservative or another form of preservation (sterilization, freezing, high sugar content, high salt content, high acidity, high alkalinity, etc.)

Anhydrous (no water) products don't generally need a chemical preservative, because the lack of water is the preservation method. (Once wet fingers dip into the fat-based product, however, all bets are off.)

Tea, hydrosols, aloe, and other water-based mixtures provide carbohydrates as the food source along with water. Lotions provide fats as the source of food as well as water. They all need preservation.

What is " Plate & Challenge Tested Mean.?

This means you send samples of the finished product to a lab and they test it to see if microbial organisms will grow in it.

Last edited:
I though a hydrosol is a botanical ingredient. It's an extract of plant material, right???

Here's a test to prove your theory -- Leave a glass of unsweetened tea or coffee on the counter for a few days. Does it mold?

A product that provides a source of water AND a source of food for microbes needs a chemical preservative or another form of preservation (sterilization, freezing, high sugar content, high salt content, high acidity, high alkalinity, etc.)

Anhydrous (no water) products don't generally need a chemical preservative, because the lack of water is the preservation method. (Once wet fingers dip into the fat-based product, however, all bets are off.)

Tea, hydrosols, aloe, and other water-based mixtures provide carbohydrates as the food source along with water. Lotions provide fats as the source of food as well as water. They all need preservation.

This means you send samples of the finished product to a lab and they test it to see if microbial organisms will grow in it.
Thank you' Wow that sounds like a pain in the butt & costly. I do make a lotion for personal use' I don't use any chems to stop bacteria growth & i've found it only last about a month before it starts to separate & I toss it thinking it probably has bacteria beginning to grow in it? also its kept in fridge' each time I remove some I use a "clean sterile spoon" & no double dipping. I cant be careful enough. Thx for your valuable info 🤗💫.

Thank you' Wow that sounds like a pain in the butt & costly. I do make a lotion for personal use' I don't use any chems to stop bacteria growth & i've found it only last about a month before it starts to separate & I toss it thinking it probably has bacteria beginning to grow in it? also its kept in fridge' each time I remove some I use a "clean sterile spoon" & no double dipping. I cant be careful enough. Thx for your valuable info 🤗💫.
A month! Yikes, that is probably only good for 3 days. That lotion needs to either be preserved from the beginning or possibly would last longer refrigerated. Maybe a week. Otherwise you are slathering a host of bacteria and mold on your body whenever you use it. Preservatives are not a bad thing.

A month! Yikes, that is probably only good for 3 days. That lotion needs to either be preserved from the beginning or possibly would last longer refrigerated. Maybe a week. Otherwise you are slathering a host of bacteria and mold on your body whenever you use it. Preservatives are not a bad thing.
Total agree' ewww the thought of smearing "Bad Bacteria" on my face' yuk!. Im going to start using a preservative, Ive gotta figure out which one?
Thx 🤗💫

Back