Facial/Complexion Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmd439

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am waiting for some new supplies to arrive....**crickets**....as soon as they arrive I plan on making some facial soap that is good for people who have problem skin. I am in the planning stages but I am thinking of this recipe:

Castor 5%
Coconut 20%
Olive 20%
Palm 15%
RBO 20%
Vegetable Shortening 20%

I also was going to add activated charcoal, honey powder, and lemongrass eo.

Do you think this will make a good recipe for what I am going for? Other things I have available to use are avocado oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, soybean oil.

Which shortening are you using? The new Crisco, the old Crisco, Walmart brand or something else?

Olive oil is considered a fatty oil and isn't normally recommended for oily skin. However, since it's going to be saponified maybe it would be okay.

I forgot to mention that sweet almond oil is a fatty oil, too. I wouldn't use that in a product for someone with oily/acneic skin. You want to consider using a "drier" oil like grapeseed,

I used hazelnut oil in a soap I made for a friend who has oily skin. I tested it on myself and it was drying (too drying for me). Also, I've read that safflower oil is good for oily skin because it helps to reduce the pores.

How did your face soap come out?

I only ever use olive or olive/castor for face soap, and at least 7-8% SF.

Hope you like your new soaps. :)

Sorry this has taken so long. I actually just soaped this on Sunday. My recipe was:

Palm 91 g
Castor 30 g
Coconut 76 degree 120g
RBO 132 g
Walmart shortening 91 g
NaOH 61 g
H2O 172 g
Charcoal 2 tbsp
Lemongrass eo 10 g
8% SF

I just unmolded and it is a very nice black (I will post pics later) with a nice smell. I got a little on my hands as I was cutting the bar, so I lathered as I rinsed and it seems nice with no black lather.

Soapopera - actually, seems like she's using 2 TBSP PPO. It looks awesome!

I'm planning on making some soon, so I'm curious about the amount to use. I'm a little wary of using 2 TBSP PPO because on other threads, I've seen people use less than 1 tsp (teaspoon, not tablespoon) PPO and I remember someone commenting that even just 1 TBSP per pound of oil seemed like too much. Does anyone have an objection to using 2 TBSP PPO?

I'm also wondering if there are certain oils you might avoid when making charcoal soap. It seems like the main use for this soap is for acne issues, so are there oils that are especially good (or bad) for that?

Thanks!

Fabulous looking soap!!
I like the caramel looking one too I can see to the side there.

SudsyKat said:
Soapopera - actually, seems like she's using 2 TBSP PPO. It looks awesome!

I'm planning on making some soon, so I'm curious about the amount to use. I'm a little wary of using 2 TBSP PPO because on other threads, I've seen people use less than 1 tsp (teaspoon, not tablespoon) PPO and I remember someone commenting that even just 1 TBSP per pound of oil seemed like too much. Does anyone have an objection to using 2 TBSP PPO?

I'm also wondering if there are certain oils you might avoid when making charcoal soap. It seems like the main use for this soap is for acne issues, so are there oils that are especially good (or bad) for that?

Thanks!

i made one with tea tree oil and the contents of i think 4 capsules of activated charcoal meant for internal use. it's ground extremely fine and isn't scratchy at all.

made it with oo, co, new crisco, sweet almond, castor, shea, coconut milk and french white clay. i'd use different oils next time, i didn't like it on my face. not sure which ones i'd sub, would go with lighter oils like grapeseed, interested to see what others like.

Latest posts

Back