Facial Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MommaSoaper

Reaction score
Hi all, Would this recipe be suitable for a facial bar soap? I kept CO low but wanted some cleansing. Used two butters since it's for face and saw in another thread to use butters if possible. Lard taking place of more CO. Beeswax just to sturdy up bar but will also use SL. Im still new to formulating but am really trying to learn so I appreciate the feedback. ❤️🐝

Attachments

• 16335444950617882632470550879327.jpg
    16335444950617882632470550879327.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 40
Hi all, Would this recipe be suitable for a facial bar soap? I kept CO low but wanted some cleansing. Used two butters since it's for face and saw in another thread to use butters if possible. Lard taking place of more CO. Beeswax just to sturdy up bar but will also use SL. Im still new to formulating but am really trying to learn so I appreciate the feedback. ❤🐝
I actually reduced the beeswax to 1% and increased the lard by 1%. 40/60 ratio now. Not sure that changes things a ton but started thinking I don't really need that much especially with SL.

I'd remove the beeswax completely. In my experience, it can leave a waxy residue on the skin I'd not want on my face.
Add the 2% to the lard
Sadly I have a very small window daily to make soap and went with 1% beeswax 😭 Very regretful as I was using heat transfer method for this soap. I melted the 1% beeswax separately and then added to hot oils (already added 33% lye solution). It looked like it already started to congeal as it hit the other oils. I quickly stick blended it and it appeared to be absorbed in as I was pouring the liquid oils. Just kept stirring and blending as much as I could. Did it fully incorporate... I'm guessing my luck today, probably not.

Next novice move was adding kaolin clay dry to the mixture. As as I poured it in I knew what I had forgotten to do... Mix it with light oil. Again, kept mixing and stirring as much as I could before it had to go into the mold. Plopped it in, sprayed with alcohol and then covered and put into oven at 170 for 5 minutes. Will turn off oven and let sit with light on for the rest of the day.

Is there anything to save this if it doesn't work out? 🤦🤦🤦🤦

So many things I did wrong. Another recipe I'm completely unsure about. Thank you

Kaolin usually mixes in ok dry, if it would have been bentonite, it would have been a different story.

Beeswax can be tricky to work with, I always melt it with my other oils so its blended well. Its possible you could get little solid bits of wax in the soap, just pick them out.
Shouldn't be a issue with such a small percent.

Your recipe isn't bad, it should be ok for a face soap unless you have super dry skin. You could even drop the coconut down to 5%. All soap cleans, even ones with a cleansing number of 1.
Personally I wouldn't have used the clay but my dry skin hates all clay in any form.

Kaolin usually mixes in ok dry, if it would have been bentonite, it would have been a different story.

Beeswax can be tricky to work with, I always melt it with my other oils so its blended well. Its possible you could get little solid bits of wax in the soap, just pick them out.
Shouldn't be a issue with such a small percent.

Your recipe isn't bad, it should be ok for a face soap unless you have super dry skin. You could even drop the coconut down to 5%. All soap cleans, even ones with a cleansing number of 1.
Personally I wouldn't have used the clay but my dry skin hates all clay in any form.
Thank you for being so helpful! I feel so much better knowing that the clay should be ok. I was going back and forth on using it but my husband works with metal and gets really greasy. I wanted something that would help him in tzone areas. Overall though he does get dry. We are in the desert so maybe I should omit clay completely for next batch?

I had added honey to this recipe, one tablespoon total. Will it have any effect or does the clay cancel it out? My hope is at least for some lather from it if not anything else. You are awesome, thank you!

Thank you for being so helpful! I feel so much better knowing that the clay should be ok. I was going back and forth on using it but my husband works with metal and gets really greasy. I wanted something that would help him in tzone areas. Overall though he does get dry. We are in the desert so maybe I should omit clay completely for next batch?

I had added honey to this recipe, one tablespoon total. Will it have any effect or does the clay cancel it out? My hope is at least for some lather from it if not anything else. You are awesome, thank you!
The honey would mostly add to the bubbles and, to my nose, add a sweet note to the soap's smell.

Latest posts

Back