FACE SERUMS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxz123

Reaction score
I have made my first face serum but I dont like the sticky feel to it! Is there anything you can add to the oil to make it less greasy( besides using different type of oils) i used jojoba, grape seed and kukui nut oil.

Thanks

I don't think you are going to get a non oily face serum made from oils, BUT you can Cut it down some by including some Essential Oils into your serum ,I would also suggest researching some more about which oils you use and there SKIN BENIFITS. I would not nessesarely use johoba oilfor a face serum because it is actually a wax that does not easily absorb into the skin but rather sits on top much longer than other oils makeing it an ideal MASSAGE oil but not the best choice if you want it to absorb into the facial layers of the skin. The johoba alone will give you a greasier feel.
Try this ...Half oz Avacado Oil, half oz Grapeseed,1oz Rosehip or Evening Primrose,or, Apricot kernal,or Kukui. Add to this 25 drops Lavender EO, 10 drops GeraniumEO, 10 drops Neroli or Vetivert EO,you can google these to see there skin benifits or you can google RAINBOW MEADOWS there web site can really help when trying to blend skin benificial EO's and which blends are good for what. Hope this helps. One more suggestion,, you only need a very few drops applied to the face to do the job you will get the feel as to how much your skin can handle without being greasy. :)

Acyually, Jojoba oil/butter is a very good choice for facial moisturizers. It is the only one that mimicks the sebum of your own skin. It is also well known for deeper penetration of the skin than most other oils. Don't mean ti split hairs. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth. :D

carolynp said:
I don't think you are going to get a non oily face serum made from oils, BUT you can Cut it down some by including some Essential Oils into your serum ,I would also suggest researching some more about which oils you use and there SKIN BENIFITS. I would not nessesarely use johoba oilfor a face serum because it is actually a wax that does not easily absorb into the skin but rather sits on top much longer than other oils makeing it an ideal MASSAGE oil but not the best choice if you want it to absorb into the facial layers of the skin. The johoba alone will give you a greasier feel.
Try this ...Half oz Avacado Oil, half oz Grapeseed,1oz Rosehip or Evening Primrose,or, Apricot kernal,or Kukui. Add to this 25 drops Lavender EO, 10 drops GeraniumEO, 10 drops Neroli or Vetivert EO,you can google these to see there skin benifits or you can google RAINBOW MEADOWS there web site can really help when trying to blend skin benificial EO's and which blends are good for what. Hope this helps. One more suggestion,, you only need a very few drops applied to the face to do the job you will get the feel as to how much your skin can handle without being greasy. :)

Yes ,but they were asking about a less greasy formula and JOJOBA being considered a liquid wax well to each his own.Jojoba does not mimic human sebum(skin oils) but rather helps to regulate the flow of them.Don't mean to split hairs but. :twisted:

Not a problem at all! :D Like with anything else...it's hard to find what is 100% accurate with information on anything these days. This is simply what I have read in the reference books and online research I have done over the years. I fully understand it is a butter in it's original form. But since most people know it as oil...that is how I refer to it. :wink:

In my experience it has never caused any of my customers, family members or myself to feel or be greasey. The only time my facial moisturizers have become greasey at all is when I tried to combine any other type of oil or butter w/the jojoba base. So, I have stuck with jojoba alone for all facial formulas. And the heaviness/greasiness has dissapeared. But like you said...to each his own. :)
---------------------------------------------
Here are some references one can look up, to come to one's own conclusions. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jojoba
"This oil is rare in that it is an extremely long (C36-C46) straight-chain wax ester and not a triglyceride, making jojoba and its derivative jojoba esters more similar to human sebum and whale oil than to traditional vegetable oils.
-------------------------------------------
http://www.californiagoldjojoba.com/html/news.htm#1_7
"Cosmetics
Pure Jojoba Oil is a highly effective cleanser, conditioner, moisturizer, and softener for the skin and hair. Remarkably, this oil is virtually identical to sebum, which is secreted by the human sebaceous glands. Sebum is nature's way of lubricating and protecting the skin and hair. Jojoba oil is also nature's way of doing the same thing when age, pollutants, and the environment strip away sebum. Or, if too much sebum clogs the pores or hair follicles, jojoba oil dissolves excess sebum deposits, cleanses, and restores the skin's and hair's natural pH balance."
http://www.soaperschoice.com/soapoils/jojoba.html
"Jojoba - the miracle oil for softening the skin is used to promote a softer more supple skin, while being non-greasy. Jojoba oil is easily absorbed by the skin and is great to promote a silky smooth skin. Jojoba oil will help to nourish the skin and prevent dryness. A fine penetrating odourless oil which has the consistency of a liquid wax."
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkoil/d-l.php#odl_jo
"...it has absorption properties that are similar to our skins own sebum. "

carolynp said:
Yes ,but they were asking about a less greasy formula and JOJOBA being considered a liquid wax well to each his own.Jojoba does not mimic human sebum(skin oils) but rather helps to regulate the flow of them.Don't mean to split hairs but. :twisted:

Boy was I wrong .Thank you for all the info . Whatever I had read quite a while ago actually was misunderstood. I really am sorry for getting Bitchy ,menopause does that to me. :roll: I will be useing jojoba in my new perfume rollers THANKS. :oops:

Carolyn...No Worries! :D It's quite alright.I get things wrong often. :lol:
It happens! And I didn't think you were being ugly. Just misunderstood.No harm in that! 8) (((HUGS)))

carolynp said:
Boy was I wrong .Thank you for all the info . Whatever I had read quite a while ago actually was misunderstood. I really am sorry for getting Bitchy ,menopause does that to me. :roll: I will be useing jojoba in my new perfume rollers THANKS. :oops:

Back