Face paint

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonita1881

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Blessings to you all. My name is Bonita and I had been reading about making soap and had been making a few soaps here and there. I even had a recipe book started. But about 2 years ago we moved and I have not been able to find my soap recipe book. And now that we are all settled in I've decided to start again. I have a couple of questions. Does anyone have a good recipe for pure olive oil soap? The second question is can I use face paint as a colorant on the soap? I recently made a batch of soap using the following recipe. It seem a bit soft when I took it out of the molds the next day but it's been 4weeks now and they curing nicely. Thank you all for any and all help.

12 oz coconut oil
40 oz olive oil
19.75 oz goat milk
7.24 oz lye

Last edited:
Hello! I am a veteran face painter and newbie soap-maker.

I don't think it's a good idea to use face paints as soap colorants. There are A LOT of specially formulated ingredients and preservatives in face paints that can mess with your soap recipes. It's really not meant for use as a soap colorant.

There are plenty of good options for soap colorants - micas, oxides, clays, etc. You'll be much better off using those!

FYI, if you are in the US (in the contiguous 48), Nurture Soap ships colors free.

Facepaint - I would be very dubious on this. like Susie said, knowing the ingredients would help. For example, if the ingredients are mainly glycerin and titanium dioxide (like Wilton's White Frosting Color) it would probably work.

Back