Face mask recommendations?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a couple good quality cotton face masks that fit snuggly and work with glasses.
All the reusable ones around here are either nylon or too small.

I have a couple cotton I made, designed like the disposable ones and they fit terrible. I'm not good enough at sewing to make better ones.

Any suggestions? Etsy would be perfect but there are too many to choose from.

I’m interested to. Especially ones where the fabric choices and layers coincide with the studies done on filtering effectiveness. Such as certain weaves of cotton or silk having electrostatic properties.

What I have and should use more often is a furnace filter that is rated for viruses that I have cut up as a liner. Perfect, no? But it might help (especially since my area is reaching peak first wave).

ive found Hanes (the underwear people) makes a mask that isn’t too bad but does fog my glasses. I have to fit it just right.

if you make or adapt your own I’d suggest making some with a tie instead of the ear loops. You can angle the ties for a tighter fit and it’s a bit easier to wash and share between different head shapes. I also used pipe cleaners to fit the mask to my nose, again not perfect but it helps. A thicker gauge floral wire or a paper clip might be better but I haven’t tested it.

I did get a half mask n95 respirator from Menards the other day. It was the only thing on the shelf that I’d trust with fiberglass insulation (the reason I was looking). Under $30 with $15 for 2 more sets of filters. I plan on using my furnace filter to make filter covers for the plushy ones it came with. For my uses I hope it will block the fiberglass and extend the real filter life so I can wear the mask elsewhere. If nothing else it will make a good Halloween costume but I’m seriously debating using it at the grocery store - I’m in MI and the anti-maskers are getting bold after the recent legal decisions

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but hopefully. I've made face masks out of the pattern the cricut machine has. It's a nice fit for adults and children as it comes in different sizes. It's very easy to sew actually. I've noticed some etsy sellers who seem to use the same pattern. It dips under the eyes and curves around the nose area. I put a nose wire in it to make it fit better and you can ask the etsy seller about that. Another daughter of mine makes the same mask without the wire for her family and still fits well. There are no pleats in it. It has elastic on the sides and loops over each ear. It works well with glasses. This is my daughter with one on.

Attachments

• mask.jpg
    mask.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 17
I’m not usually into fancy schmancy designer stuff but I couldn’t find a mask that I liked that was quality and fit comfortably that was *also good quality/value. I found this in my searches. It was 5 masks for $35 from Tory Burch and I pulled the trigger and got them. They are exceptional.

https://www.toryburch.com/printed-face-mask-set-of-5/81264.html

I recommend two types of masks, one for when you will be in safer situations, and one for when you expect there won't be as safe conditions as you'd like. For the latter, I recommend N95 masks. For the former, a triple layer washable fabric mask made with tightly woven cotton with adjustable ties and the surgical mask folds is what I recommend. Both styles of masks should have an adjustable insert at the nose portion to provide for a close fit over the bridge of the nose & below the eyes/cheek bones (zygomatic arch). With proper fit of these types of masks, I can talk and breath without fogging up my glasses. Sometimes a slight re-adjustment of the nose-piece or the tie is required, but that is easily managed with minimal touching of the front of the mask.

The mask should allow for tenting and not be tight to the face. The surgical mask style with two or three folds is better than a mask fitted tightly to the face, because when we talk or yawn or sneeze even, there has to be room for the air movement from your mouth and movement of your chin as you speak without pulling the top of the mask down below your nose, which defeats the purpose of protection.

Not every one prefers ties like I do, but they work best for me. I wear hearing aids, and do not tolerate the behind-the-ear style at all, as my hearing aids become dislodged and come off when removing that kind from behind my ears. Plus often the elastic behind the ears are either too tight or too loose. If you consider a tie style, this is what I do to make wearing mine more convenient:

The only tie I untie when I remove the mask is the bottom tie. I keep the top tie tied all the time (except when washing) because once I find the perfect fit for the top of my head, I keep it tied and just put it on top of my head first when I first put my mask on, adjust it to my face, then tie the bottom behind my neck. When I take the mask off, I untie the tie behind the back of my neck and lift the mask up over my head removing from the top. This is done normally when I get in or out of my car. Then I put the mask over the dashboard of my car where the windshield focuses sunshine right down on the outer surface of the cloth mask until I stop at the next place where I must put the mask back on again.

Ties with adjustable toggles serve the same purpose, but can be uncomfortable in some situations. I don't really know, as I don't have any masks with toggles.

I know some folks wear a head-band with buttons for the behind-the-ear masks, but I have not tried them so cannot speak to how well the fit is in regards to wearing goggles or glasses and preventing fogging.

We need to protect our eyes as well, particularly when in less safe conditions, therefore I also recommend safety sunglasses or clear glasses if you don't need to wear eyeglasses at all times, the wrap-around style that provides the greatest protection. Or better yet, if you can find one and tolerate it, a face shield that you can wear over your glasses, for those crowded conditions where others don't always adhere to social distancing. My granddaughter wore one over her mask while at the airport and on the airplane. I bought some at Farm & Fleet for a mere $4.00 each. I've seen them in some mainstream stores as well, as well as on Amazon. It doesn't have to be expensive.

For someone who is able to purchase and maintain a constant supply of replaceable filters and will be in situations where social distancing is less reliable or in confined spaces for lengthy periods, that may be a better choice than a surgical style mask or N95 masks, which may be hard to find in some areas.

@earlene you are so right. The masks I make for my family are double layers made with an opening for a filter insert.. so total of three layers. Tightly woven cotton fabric. It’s another reason I also put the nose band in for a better fit. I was worried my son in law wouldn’t approve for my grand daughter as he’s an ER doctor and has been swamped with covid. However he was happy with it and my granddaughter now wears the ones I make her rather than the pediatric masks he provided. Elastic can be used around the ears, or ties as you prefer. My husband has the same problem. For the kids I use soft knit hair bands that come in bright colors and the fit is snug yet the design allows room for the nose. In fact the adults in the family have asked for the same lol. I figure this Christmas everyone is getting packages of soap and masks !! 😄

How do you all breath through 3 layers? One cotton layer is all I can do, otherwise I end up gasping and have to pull the mask down.
Perhaps it's all those years as a nurse, working in isolation wards for part of my career. But that's why I mention that the mask needs to provide a tenting affect; it provides more room for air. And if you find you need more ventilation, take a look at the type or style of mask you are wearing.

If you'll notice, the surgical mask style does have a bit of side ventilation unless made super tight. Watch a hospital TV show that shows medical staff in surgery and take a look at how the sides are actually somewhat bunched or slightly gaping. That allows for some ventilation. Of course if someone sneezes or coughs on you from the side, it would not protect, but the purpose of a surgical mask is to prevent the surgical staff from direct spread of airborne respiratory-carried droplets getting onto the surgical field and therefore contaminating the wound.

Remember that out in the public these masks are to protect those around us from what we may spread, and that if everybody wears them, that's how we are protected. If you truly want to be effectively protected from everyone else's respiratory droplets, then you need to wear things like N95 masks or others with filters and face shields.

So maybe for you, Obsidian, the face shield in combination with a looser mask is a better choice. If I was gasping for air with my mask, that's what I would try in order to protect myself better while at the same time protecting those around me. But not until I tried a different mask style first, which I say only because I know I can breathe sufficiently within certain mask styles.

@Obsidian @earlene Im a nurse too having worked in isolation areas as well and maybe it is easier as we’re used to it. But wearing all day does get cumbersome. The masks as earlene says, with tent over the nose allow more room for air exchange which is why this particular design works better, for us anyway. It’s not flat with gathers. My 8 year old granddaughter can wear them the whole day thru her school and she says they’re comfortable. But then she does have some hearty 8 year old lungs and a tiny nose 😂 The material does make a difference too- 100% Cotton but some are heavier than others. I try to find the lighter weight ones but tight weave. It’s strange now that we’ve all become masks snobs lol. That along with soap should make some good presents!!!!! Good luck on your search Obsidian!!

How do you all breath through 3 layers? One cotton layer is all I can do, otherwise I end up gasping and have to pull the mask down.

I have seen mask inserts to keep the fabric off of your face. They look like a muzzle you’d put on an anxious dog. I haven’t gotten any myself but it might be something to look into

I make masks from tight weave quilting cottons, I put a pleat in the sides to make them fit better. I have elastic like the disposable ones, but make it so you can replace it with out taking the mask apart. One of my friends works for a quality control lab and they tested mine, I was 85% better than the disposable ones and 50% better than the cloth masks from the CDC. I make sm, mrd, lg, and xlg sizes

Attachments

• 20200606_202453.jpg
    20200606_202453.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200509_164943.jpg
    20200509_164943.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 9
Back