Face bar for acne prone skin??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie89

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a face bar soap and have no idea what recipe to your! At the minute I love bentonight clay so I would mind adding some! I was Aslo thinking maybe -
Shea
Hemp
Aloe
What does everyone use for the face? Any recipes would be apprecieted :)

I make one a couple of my friends really like for their face. It’s mostly olive oil, with shea butter then equal amounts of avocado oil, coconut oil and palm oil. I also use activated charcoal in the bar and leave it unscented.

My husband uses whatever bar I have in the shower and his skin looks great. I just use plain water with a spritz of hydrosol when I get out of the shower. There was a bit of a transition but my skin looks better than it has in years (as long as I change my pillow case regularly). My skin could probably survive using soap but I don’t think my husband’s skin would look as nice if he stopped.

Try your usual bar, it may be all you need

Can I ask what are salt bars?

Salt bars are high coconut with salt added at trace. Mine are 80% Co, 15 Avocado and 5 castor. I use 35-15% of my oil weight in salt. 20% SF. They require a long cure, I like 6 months but longer is better to me. They can be used after 6 weeks but better longer

Salt bars are high coconut with salt added at trace. Mine are 80% Co, 15 Avocado and 5 castor. I use 35-15% of my oil weight in salt. 20% SF. They require a long cure, I like 6 months but longer is better to me. They can be used after 6 weeks but better longer
What are the benefits of salt bars of mever heard of them for the face? Is that 20% super fat? Can you do that on the lye calculator?

What are the benefits of salt bars of mever heard of them for the face? Is that 20% super fat? Can you do that on the lye calculator?

Yes, 20% super fat. I believe the salt in the bars helps dry and clear breakouts. We’ve been using them for years now. I only use them 2-3 times a week now as I’m older and my skin is a bit drier than when I first started using them. My girls are in their 30’s and still use them.

Yes, 20% super fat. I believe the salt in the bars helps dry and clear breakouts. We’ve been using them for years now. I only use them 2-3 times a week now as I’m older and my skin is a bit drier than when I first started using them. My girls are in their 30’s and still use them.
I'm so behind lol I'm only 28 so maybe a good time to start :)

What salt does everybody use just read about sea salt is that the best one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I make my daughter a high coconut oil, castor oil salt bar with activated charcoal, with a 15% SF. For her, it works wonders. It did take her about 2.5 weeks of using the bar before seeing the results, however, once she did, she will not use any other soap on her face.

Another thing that people don't think of when it comes to acne prone/oily skin is to use a moisturizer. She and I both use a oil free moisturizer for our face everyday, and this also helped as much as any soap did.

I make my daughter a high coconut oil, castor oil salt bar with activated charcoal, with a 15% SF. For her, it works wonders. It did take her about 2.5 weeks of using the bar before seeing the results, however, once she did, she will not use any other soap on her face.

Another thing that people don't think of when it comes to acne prone/oily skin is to use a moisturizer. She and I both use a oil free moisturizer for our face everyday, and this also helped as much as any soap did.
That sounds really nice :) do you have the exact recipe? How much charcoal ect do you have to use? Do you have any pics of the bars! I do moisturise atm I'm using argan oil mixed with aloe and abit of lavander to calm its hard to know what's causing the problem :(

That sounds really nice :) do you have the exact recipe? How much charcoal ect do you have to use? Do you have any pics of the bars! I do moisturise atm I'm using argan oil mixed with aloe and abit of lavander to calm its hard to know what's causing the problem :(
80% Coconut Oil
10% Castor Oil
10% Avocado Oil
1/4 tsp charcoal PPO
50% salt PPO
15% Superfat

No pics, but it's just a dark grey/black bar of soap.

My family and friends of all ages and skin types love pine tar CP or LS. Hubby uses it on his head too but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, especially those of us with hair longer than 1/4", lol.

Hi Newbie89
If you've got acne prone skin, you might find this site useful. https://www.acne.org/messageboard/articles/article/122-do-oils-cause-acne/
Thank you will have a look :)

My family and friends of all ages and skin types love pine tar CP or LS. Hubby uses it on his head too but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, especially those of us with hair longer than 1/4", lol.
sorry I'm new to all this what is pine tar? What is co or ls?

80% Coconut Oil
10% Castor Oil
10% Avocado Oil
1/4 tsp charcoal PPO
50% salt PPO
15% Superfat

Sound really nice I have all this sruff will give it a go! How long does it take to cure with the salt?

How long does it take to cure with the salt?

Same as any other type: 4-6 weeks, but better with more time.

If you mean how long before you can unmold... That will be fast! If you have a cavity mold use it! If you have a loaf mold, you'll need to get it out and cut it as soon as it's hard. Be careful-- it might still be pretty hot.

Same as any other type: 4-6 weeks, but better with more time.

If you mean how long before you can unmold... That will be fast! If you have a cavity mold use it! If you have a loaf mold, you'll need to get it out and cut it as soon as it's hard. Be careful-- it might still be pretty hot.
Oh really I may need to buy separate moulds then! I'm so impatient hate you have to wait 4-6 weeks

80% Coconut Oil
10% Castor Oil
10% Avocado Oil
1/4 tsp charcoal PPO
50% salt PPO
15% Superfat

Do you mix you salt with the lye water first?

Back