Face bar for acne prone skin??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sound really nice I have all this sruff will give it a go! How long does it take to cure with the salt?
I cure mine for 6 months because they are just better when they are older, and I have the time, however, like @artemis said, 4-6 weeks is fine. But yes, I also use individual molds, and only make 1lb batches at a time.

Do you mix you salt with the lye water first?
No, that would be a brine soap, these are actual salt bars. 50% salt per pound of oils added at trace and right before the pour.

That's a good idea abit scared of them setting too fast though
That's why you would use individual molds, then it doesn't matter how fast they set up, you don't have to worry about cutting them. I leave mine in my individual molds for a few days, however, if I used a log mold or a mold that I would have to cut the loaf, I would unmold and cut within 4-8 hours depending on the atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on your margarine tub sizes, but what jcandelattic is talking about are surely the smaller ones. I just mention this because some folks with large families don't normally buy the smaller sizes. But they are great for single bars of soap, and sometimes the cost difference per ounce is really negligible when there is a sale going on.

It depends on your margarine tub sizes, but what jcandelattic is talking about are surely the smaller ones. I just mention this because some folks with large families don't normally buy the smaller sizes. But they are great for single bars of soap, and sometimes the cost difference per ounce is really negligible when there is a sale going on.
At my store, a pack of two smaller tubs costs the same as the one larger tub, so that's what I've been buying. A couple of brands are even using rectangular tubs. They are the perfect size and shape for a bar of soap.

Sorry Newbie89. Pine Tar soap CP (cold process bars) or LS (liquid soap). I find pine tar at Tractor Supply in the equine section. It's used on horse's hooves. I use 15% in my recipe and add tea tree EO. The biggest thing to know about using it is how speedy trace is. I usually have about 30 seconds to get it into the mold once I add the PT.

Do you still have to line the tub with anything or will the soap not stick to plastic?

Sorry Newbie89. Pine Tar soap CP (cold process bars) or LS (liquid soap). I find pine tar at Tractor Supply in the equine section. It's used on horse's hooves. I use 15% in my recipe and add tea tree EO. The biggest thing to know about using it is how speedy trace is. I usually have about 30 seconds to get it into the mold once I add the PT.
Iv never heard of it wonder if I can buy it in the UK anywhere! So you jist mix it in before trace?

Is this the right stuff?

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-03-06-22-45-58.png
    Capture+_2018-03-06-22-45-58.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 15
Hopefully I attached the pic. Still trying to figure out the new forum design, lol. I don't know about sources in the UK so hopefully someone comes along to give you the info. I know Euro soapers make PT soap so it's available somewhere.

It's the very last ingredient I add. Since it's very thick tar, I usually mix it with a few ounces of warmed oil from the batch to help incorporate it a bit better. I bring my batter just to emulsification including the tea tree then, using a whisk, mix in the PT/oil blend. I look like a mad woman when I'm doing it because I'm whisking so fast then dumping it quickly in the mold51Qu0lVBMLL._AC_US218_.jpg . I have my mold sitting as close as I can and by the time I get done pouring it's hard to smooth out the top. It's the sprint of soaping for sure.:eek: Also, no color needed. It cures to a dark brown.

Ok. The pic attachment didn't work out well at all, sorry about that. I'll get the hang of it though!

Hopefully I attached the pic. Still trying to figure out the new forum design, lol. I don't know about sources in the UK so hopefully someone comes along to give you the info. I know Euro soapers make PT soap so it's available somewhere.

It's the very last ingredient I add. Since it's very thick tar, I usually mix it with a few ounces of warmed oil from the batch to help incorporate it a bit better. I bring my batter just to emulsification including the tea tree then, using a whisk, mix in the PT/oil blend. I look like a mad woman when I'm doing it because I'm whisking so fast then dumping it quickly in the moldView attachment 29236 . I have my mold sitting as close as I can and by the time I get done pouring it's hard to smooth out the top. It's the sprint of soaping for sure.:eek: Also, no color needed. It cures to a dark brown.

Ok. The pic attachment didn't work out well at all, sorry about that. I'll get the hang of it though!
I really intrested in this iv looked and cant even buy these bars near me :( is it still 4-6 weeks to cure?

I really intrested in this iv looked and cant even buy these bars near me :( is it still 4-6 weeks to cure?
Also can you add salt I to this as well or would that need to be a diffrent bar? What other oils do you use?

Yes, cure is 4-6 weeks. For what it's worth here's my recipe:

30% - Palm/lard/tallow
20% - Coconut/PKO or blend
5% - Cocoa butter
30% Olive/Sunflower/Avocado or blend (10% each or blend of your choice)
15% PT

I use 3% SF and aloe vera juice as my lye liquid.

30% - Palm/lard/tallow
5% - Cocoa butter
15% PT

According to acne.org, coconut and cocoa are the most comedogenic (pore-clogging), clearly the worse possible choices for an acne soap.
https://www.acne.org/messageboard/articles/article/122-do-oils-cause-acne/

is it still 4-6 weeks to cure?
Every soap, regardless of the recipe, will always have at least a 4-6 week cure. Some soaps, depending on oils used, to be their very best, will take even longer, such as 100% Olive oil soaps, which can take 9-12 months to be their best.
The only exception is Melt and Pour soap which can be used as soon as it's unmolded.

Every soap, regardless of the recipe, will always have at least a 4-6 week cure. Some soaps, depending on oils used, to be their very best, will take even longer, such as 100% Olive oil soaps, which can take 9-12 months to be their best.
The only exception is Melt and Pour soap which can be used as soon as it's unmolded.
Hmmmm I may have to look into a melt and pour option

30% - Palm/lard/tallow
5% - Cocoa butter
15% PT

Thank you I love avocado and aloe on my skin I will give this a try :)

According to acne.org, coconut and cocoa are the most comedogenic (pore-clogging), clearly the worse possible choices for an acne soap.
https://www.acne.org/messageboard/articles/article/122-do-oils-cause-acne/
They are comedogenic if you apply the oils directly to your skin and leave them on. After the process of saponification in soap they are converted to a salt and behave differently from when they were in the oil state. The only caution is when you increase the superfat in the soap which leaves an amount of unsaponified fats that could linger on the skin if not washed off properly.
But if you're making a face cream/ butter then yes, I would steer clear of CO and CB and AO etc if suffering from acne prone skin.
On the other hand, Shea Butter has a comedogenic value of 0 and can be used in face creams and lotions without fear of clogging the pores. There are always exceptions of course as everyone's skin reacts slightly differently to soaps and oils and creams.

I didn't think salt soap could be made without coconut oil though? Iv never seen a recipe without it

Coconut oil is the only soap that’s able to lather in salt water. I’m not sure the minimum percentage you need, but I think the Lowe’s I’ve seen is 70 or 80%

Back