Extremely fast trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got out the stick blender and gave it a couple short bursts (like 1-2 seconds each) and BOOM - light trace. It was crazy.

It's not really SO crazy. Among the fastest oils are going to be coconut and palm by virtue of their composition.

The perspective I would offer here is that using a stick blender came into fashion among handcrafters not much more than 15 years ago. I think it stemmed from a trend towards making castile and many other fairly high-oleic recipes, not to mention sometimes using really slow linoleic oils like soybean or sunflower, and working at room temperature. Reaching trace in 5 minutes or less with the immersion blender was certainly a feature.

It seems normal to people these days, but I guess the recipes I prefer are a little different on the average. I might have a 5 minute trace, but I soap warm and wouldn't dream of touching most of what I make with anything more than a plastic whisk. To me that's normal and recipes that take 5 minutes with a blender are more extreme.

It's not really SO crazy. Among the fastest oils are going to be coconut and palm by virtue of their composition.

The perspective I would offer here is that using a stick blender came into fashion among handcrafters not much more than 15 years ago. I think it stemmed from a trend towards making castile and many other fairly high-oleic recipes, not to mention sometimes using really slow linoleic oils like soybean or sunflower, and working at room temperature. Reaching trace in 5 minutes or less with the immersion blender was certainly a feature.

It seems normal to people these days, but I guess the recipes I prefer are a little different on the average. I might have a 5 minute trace, but I soap warm and wouldn't dream of touching most of what I make with anything more than a plastic whisk. To me that's normal and recipes that take 5 minutes with a blender are more extreme.

Well, it seemed crazy to me because I had never experienced anything like it before!

I'm not saying "the quicker, the better" - I like having time to get to know my soap before the lid goes on the pot. I am not glorifying the fastness of the trace. I was just shocked that it would happen so quickly is all.

Back