Extreme Hard Water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone deal with extreme hard well water? Since my daughter moved she is having a very hard time with mineral deposits on her hair and scalp. She said Vinegar rinse has helped her face but is barely helping her hair. Ideas?

I live in iron mining land. Adding citric acid helps me but we have softer water when compared to most of the region. I tend to add close to 3% to my soaps. A sodium citrate rinse may help, or just adding it to a shampoo/conditioner to offset some of it.

Does she have a water softener or is it an option for the landlord to install? A water filter specifically for hair washing (like a Brita) or undersink model might help?

I used to keep big bottles of rainwater in the shower for hair rinsing when we lived on a farm with all our house water coming from a spring fed pond (lots of minerals, plus fish and plants also living in it). Where I am now (also iron mining area) when tap water evaporates it leaves a fine white film behind, but I haven't noticed any problems with washing (or drinking it)

There are chelating shampoos that will remove the build up. My favorite is joico k-pac clarifying shampoo. Its pricey but you only use it once a month or so.
Another option is quantum clarifying shampoo, you can find it at sallys beauty supply. Its a lot cheaper for a huge bottle and does a decent job.

Using distilled or rain water to wash will prevent the build up from coming back.

Vinegar water will work too, I used to fill a 5 gallon bucket with warm water and add a couple cups vinegar. Used only it to wash & condition.

Since it's well water I may not be much help. We have extremely hard water where I am, however, I have installed in my house an industrial sized water softener which helps out a lot. They can be pricey, but IMO they are sooo worth the cost! I can always tell when the salt gets low, because my skin will literally start flaking, and get severely dry.

Is this an option? or with well water will that not work?

Since it's well water I may not be much help. We have extremely hard water where I am, however, I have installed in my house an industrial sized water softener which helps out a lot. They can be pricey, but IMO they are sooo worth the cost! I can always tell when the salt gets low, because my skin will literally start flaking, and get severely dry.

Is this an option? or with well water will that not work?
Yup, it’s an option for those on the well! And a very good option! We are on a well, have terribly hard water with a very high copper count, and we get terrible scale. We have an industrial sized water softener. It worked BEAUTIFULLY until my hubby recently installed one of those instant hot water tanks. Now, it’s like it does nothing at all. :( I’m back to dry flaky skin and brittle hair. Ugh.

As to the OG’s original question, I use a chelating shampoo every few weeks. It helps SO much! I use the one by Joico.

Back