Extreme DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
I occasionally lurk at a couple other forums, and notice in a thread one of the members talking about finding bars of soap that they had made a year ago (or so) orange, slimy & stinking.

Would that be extreme DOS? How on earth would it be that bad - a massively high superfat/lye discount? It makes me a little worried about letting people have any of my soap now...

That sounds like DOS - except on the time or 2 I've got it, I don't recall my soap being slimy. Perhaps this soap was one that was high in OO?

It could be an extremely high super fat and/or the oils used. Some oils have short shelf lives. for instance, if you use a high amount of hemp oil, you might experience a lot of DOS.

DOS

Certain oils are more prone to rancidity. Hemp oil is one of them. Linseed (flaxseed) is another, which is why I used it in very small amts. in one my recipes. I probably won't use it on a regular basis.

I like and use Sweet Almond and Apricot Kernel oils, which don't have the greatest shelf life (but longer than Hemp). Hopefully using them at less than 10%, in combination with oils with long shelf lives will keep away the DOS. Some soapers use ROE, to help extend the shelf life of soap made with oils that are prone to spoilage. Perhaps some will come into this thread and comment.

I've saved samples of my first batches (one contains Linseed Oil). I'm going to note the quality, after 6 months and after 1 year — to see what happens.

Also, I don't like the feel of highly-superfatted soap (as a user), and I'm probably one of the few people on the planet, who don't.

Back