extracts vs infusion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I set up oregano in vodka to make an extract. the original idea was to make an oregano extract to add to a marinara/Italian themed soap. After I had a chance to think about it I realized I should have set up the oregano to infuse into olive oil.

Can I still use my extract in soap or should I wait until I can make an infusion. I know the alcohol will accelerate everything, but the idea was for the novelty not for any oregano benefits. If I spritz the top with the oregano would it work like using rubbing alcohol to prevent soda ash?

(thankfully it was less than a pint of vodka, oregano that an old roommate had left behind, and I've been in the mood for a martini so it wont go to waste)

I'd do the infusion, I'm pretty sure nothing in extracts survives the lye at all, so mostly all you would get is a seized mess for no reason.

Hot infusion only takes a few hours though?

I wouldn't use it in your soap. It will likely cause it to seize. You could try to spray the top and see what happens. I've not done that so can't give any advice. It may be okay.

Yeah use that for a martini or vodka sauce for pasta.

Infuse oils for soap - no other way really. Unless you mix the bits into the soap. And surprisingly few infusions or herbal additions do what you would expect after the lye monster gets to it.

Everything I've heard about adding alcohol extractions (infusion or decoction) lead to adverse or possibly dangerous reactions to the soaping process. Alcohol reacts strongly with strong alkali.

Interesting question: If you boil the alcohol off, would there be anything left of the infusion that might be worthwhile? (you boil the alcohol off beer and wine, and something useful is left, usually)

Everything I've heard about adding alcohol extractions (infusion or decoction) lead to adverse or possibly dangerous reactions to the soaping process. Alcohol reacts strongly with strong alkali.

Interesting question: If you boil the alcohol off, would there be anything left of the infusion that might be worthwhile? (you boil the alcohol off beer and wine, and something useful is left, usually)

Wine and beer have a much lower alcohol content than vodka so boiling those two down wouldn't be a problem. Vodka, on the other hand, unless you're adding a splash at trace, it doesn't make sense to try and evaporate the alcohol for soaping purposes. There would not be much liquid left over.

Wine and beer have a much lower alcohol content than vodka so boiling those two down wouldn't be a problem. Vodka, on the other hand, unless you're adding a splash at trace, it doesn't make sense to try and evaporate the alcohol for soaping purposes. There would not be much liquid left over.

I am aware of this. I'm asking if it is boiled off, if there is anything worth using from the extract. Cmzaha mentioned cement is left with evaporation, but will cement be left after forced evaporation or boiling? Is cement worth anything to soap other than in label appeal?

I am aware of this. I'm asking if it is boiled off, if there is anything worth using from the extract. Cmzaha mentioned cement is left with evaporation, but will cement be left after forced evaporation or boiling? Is cement worth anything to soap other than in label appeal?

My bad. That would be a good experiment but I also can't imagine it would be effective either. Some of the properties may still be there but how much will be lost during the evaporation and oxidation processes?

Latest posts

Back