extra virgin olive oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiltertoo

Reaction score
I had a friend pick up a jug of olive oil at Sam's for me. I asked for 100% olive but she bought extra virgin. Since she was doing me a favor I don't want to ask her to exchange it. The jug is green so I can't tell how green the oil is. I don't want to open it until I need it. Has anyone used this oil? How green is extra virgin and will it make my soap yellow or green?

Mary Lou

I've not used that brand but most evoo is quite green and it will tint your soap a greeny yellow but if you use colorants, its usually easy enough to cover. What % of OO does your recipe call for?

As it cures the green (which seems to turn the soap yellow) will fade. After 12 months 100% EVOO goes quite white.

Obsidian is right though. In the short term it plays with colours. You have to compensate for the yellow.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. I guess I will just have to work with it as I don't want to ask to have it returned. I'm sure I can create some beautiful colors if I plan for it.

Mary Lou

Back