Extra sweaty neem oil soap - not sweat!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
Edit:
What I initially thought was pools of sweat was actually cat pee. Uggh!!

Has anyone experienced this.... That their soap with more than about 5-10% neem oil sweats like crazy? Much more than other soaps in the same storage conditions...

I ask coz mine are flooding! Pools on and around the soap, and the paper underneath is soaked and the shelves underneath are wet. Granted its been raining daily, but the other soaps aren't sweating as bad. Having a fan on em isn't helping much.

It's this soap BTW.. And it's oozing brown sweat, much like the original color of the neem oil from the bottle. I made a similar soap with less been before, and while it did sweat, it did not sweat as much as this one.

Last edited:
Hmmm.. I'll have to review what else I have in there then. Thanks Obsidian :)

My 20% Neem soap faired well in the summer heat and humidity and survived the rain season last month just fine, even after I washed it to remove the scratch marks from the exfoliants. No ash, either.
I used 1:2 lye water ratio, added SL and syrup.

OMG!

I just now got the chance to check the soap up close and I discovered its not sweat that's pooling around, but stinking cat pee.

I am so pissed!

What do I do with soap that's been peed on???

LOL... sorry but...... LOL

It isn't funny, I know.
Yknow what.. If someone else posted this I'd probably giggle too first LOL

But yeah.. I've spent the entire morning, while Dustin played with my other soap, rinsing them and drying them. It's my teenager's soap - I doubt he'll notice nyahaha so I am just gonna keep letting him use it, and make a new batch for selling.

Ok here's the thing.. I noticed the pee smell in that room before I checked on the soap and posted here. There wasn't any smell before that, in the morning.

So by the time I cleaned everything off this afternoon, the soap has probably been sitting in cat pee for more than 24hrs, give or take maybe 2-3 hours.

I sprayed everything with alcohol first, before handling the bars, wiping them off with more alcohol... Then rinsed everything and they're still drying.

Oh, Dawni, I'm sorry to hear this. I'm a long-time cat lady, and appreciate how annoying this problem is.

I have to say I've noticed my cats tend to pee on things made out of plastic, especially plastic bags. My boy cats are more likely to do this than the girls (all neutered). Maybe there's something in neem oil that smells like plastic. Dunno....

If it was just for family use, I'd clean off the bars and see how it goes. I'll bet your nose can tell you if there are any lingering traces of urine after the soap is dry.

FWIW, I've made soap with anywhere from 20% to 85% neem in it. This soap doesn't behave any differently than soap I make without neem. I think it's a nice oil to use if you don't mind the odor. It has many of the desirable qualities of lard.

Last week my cat peed on the potatoes I had put on my counter after I pulled them from the garden. So they went into the garbage sadly. Darn cats!! They are lucky that they are cute! Sorry about your soap and I hope it is salvageable.

I feel your pain. I once had my cat pee on a duffel bag full of kids clothes I was giving to a friend who really needed them! What really made me mad was I had already scheduled the cat's neutering.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back