Expired Olive Pomace Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellybeanskie

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So my olive pomace oil wil expire on march, and due to some reasons, I will only probably be able to soap at the end of march or early april. Do you guys think I can still use it or it will have effects already? I cant say if the smell will be rancid already since basically its not yet expired right now haha

A lot of expiry dates are best before dates.. Meaning if it were chocolate chip cookies I'd still eat them lol

Yours might be the same? Best way will probably be to smell it come soaping time. If it smells off, don't use it.

Having said that.. Using oil nearing the best before date might be ok to soap with but might give you DOS sooner than expected.

I'm just going by reading on this, not experience so hopefully someone better will come along and negate or agree with me hehehe

I would use it if it does not smell or taste rancid. A couple of yrs ago I was given a few gallons of different oils, some being at least 8 yrs old. They were still sealed and had been keep in a cool storage shed, I soaped them with no rancid or dos problems at all

A lot of expiry dates are best before dates.. Meaning if it were chocolate chip cookies I'd still eat them lol

Yours might be the same? Best way will probably be to smell it come soaping time. If it smells off, don't use it.

Having said that.. Using oil nearing the best before date might be ok to soap with but might give you DOS sooner than expected.

I'm just going by reading on this, not experience so hopefully someone better will come along and negate or agree with me hehehe

With that attitude do the choc chip cookies that enter your house or close proximity to you get anywhere near to thier expiry date?

Disclaimer: I am not recommending this.
I'm late to this thread but I did want to chime in re expired oils. We moved in 2014 and I stopped making soap at that time. We had a lot on our plate so no time, no energy and no place to create. Fortunately I had enough soap to carry us through for a couple of years. Last winter I started to freak out as I watched my stash dwindle so I went to the basement to make a batch. All the oils were okay except for the palm. Looked fine, smelled really off. I thought I would make a simple, quick batch to see what would happen. It was not pleasant, but in the end it was soap and the finished product did not smell bad. I cut it, put it in the curing shelf, and walked away until a couple of months ago. I decided it was time to make soap or hang up the whisk and I found the batch. To my surprise the soap was -- SOAP! Good soap. No DOS (but we live in a dry climate). As I said above - I am not recommending this but I did want to share. If you're selling don't try this at home kids.

Back