Experience of anorexic dog? Anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know that vets disagree on kidney disease management? So consult with many veterinarians. Find canine kidney disease websites.

This is for cats, but was an endless source of info for me: http://www.felinecrf.org/ I don't know how it translates to dogs...but it can give you a starting place for asking questions.

For 4 years I dealt with inappetance. I bought every single type, brand, style, flavor of cat food I could find. What worked one day, didn't necessarily work the next day. So don't stop trying food your dog didn't eat yesterday.

However...shoving food in front of him a hundred times a day won't help. Try to choose wisely...chicken once, beef next. It's difficult, I know.

Look into force or tube feeding. Sometimes once your pet gets a few decent meals the appetite recovers.

There is a Rx food for recovery. It's not a kidney disease food. But the recovery food is packed with nutrition and a little of it goes a long way. My cat almost always ate it.

Before my cat died (2 yrs ago, but NOT from kidney disease!) the current research was suggesting that the amount of protein was not a problem, it was the quality/type of protein. I don't remember the intricacies of that, but something for you to research. (Perhaps pinpointing the exact amino acids types?)

In hindsight, the best vets told me to feed whatever she would eat. She rarely ate the Rx kidney food, which stressed me and her to the max. Force feeding her demoralized her. I quit. I put myself in her shoes - I would choose quality of life over longevity and decided that's what I wanted for her.

For most of her last 4 years she ate crappy Fancy Feast. The last few months of her life appetite was a constant struggle. Cat treats and cooked liver kept her alive and comfortable. The liver is rich, and yes full of protein - but high in calories and a little went a long way.

Crumbling your dog's favorite and most smelly treats on top of food might help?

For cats, it was recommended to place food on plates, and to remove it after a reasonable time if not eaten. The constant smell of food in the house can be off-putting - especially with the digestive issues that come with kidney disease.

Can dogs have something other than rantidine?

That's all the ideas I have for now.
Are there ulcers in the mouth (another kidney problem)

Hand feeding - sounds like you've tried it. Maybe time to stop, for a day, then try again?

I'm so sorry you're going through this, Sonya. Even just reading about animals in pain puts a lump in my throat. Most of the ideas I had have been suggested. If it were my dog (everyone's pooch has different idiosyncrasies with foods they like) I would probably melt some lard and drizzle it on spaghetti. I'd also try a little ice cream (full fat, the only kind that counts :mrgreen:) Best of luck! I hope your pup is eating again soon.

Poor guy!

Whenever my dog has been on a restricted diet, she loves rice cooked in chicken broth, tiny bits of bacon drippings, or mashed up with canned pumpkin. I'd make up a several day batch and just portion it out to save on prep time.

One thing... it's always easiest to convince my dog, Miss Beadie, that something is fantastic with a lot of acting. "OMG THIS IS THE BEST THING FOR THE BEST DOG EVER - WHO WANTS A JOINT SUPPLEMENT? MISS BEADIE DOES!!!!" and make her do her "treat-tricks" like sitting pretty. She now thinks her joint supplement pill is the best thing on earth. Of course, your dog might be a little brighter than mine...

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I'll try the rice cooked in chicken broth and will add maybe some beef mince and puréed sweet potato. I need to keep his phosphorus levels down so have to be really careful.

Think we're also going to take him to a different vet for another opinion.

SL - I've done the pretending it's s treat thing, he was having none of it!! I've even tried turning it into a game by rolling pieces of his prescription food over the floor to him. He ate a few bits then figured out he was eating so stopped.

This is the first dog I've had, how do people get other dogs after losing one? I don't think I could do this again. I know we're losing him and there's nothing I can do.

For some people, adopting dogs (and cats) and giving them the best life they could is well worth the pain of eventually losing them. Even if an owner had to feed their dog the crap from a convenience store, that dog is still better off than in a shelter with other animals. Lenarenee offered some good advice- do some additional research and contact multiple vets. I don't know how vets are where you live, but I only trust them for injured pets. where diet is concerned, I believe in a more holistic approach than that of Purina or Science Diet. I've heard many people say their sick pets thrived on holistic foods and even raw diets. But research is a must before taking drastic measures.

Sonya a free run egg just yolk and add a few drops of good cognac , give it to your dog drop buy drop, ............sometimes they make their choice when they are in pain, they do not eat. I had breed and judged dogs for years. It seems that your dog lost his zest for life. He needs some protein. I kind of not believing in vets' they are here to make money , a lot of money. When they make a mistake they have no consequences.
I wonder if it is more mental than physical, do not get me wrong but talk to him whisper ,,,,,,,,,, try the egg...........it had work in past , I had many dogs and a lot of experience
I forgot to add tat I probably love animals much more than people.............

I totally agree with you. I just wish I could get into caring for dogs the way I can with cats or I could be of better help here.

I think someone mentioned this before, but bone broth is super good for ailing dogs. Use any kind of bones you have or can get easily - beef marrow bones or I have bought turkey backs/necks at the grocery store and cooked those. Put the bones in a crockpot, fill with water, and cook overnight. Add a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar before cooking, this enhances the minerals to be drawn from the bones into the broth. My dog had some stomach upset/liver problems due to not metabolizing doxy (at all) when he was diagnosed with Lyme, the bone broth worked wonders for getting him eating. I'm not sure how phosphorus plays into bone broth so maybe you'd want to check that out before making some. I feel for you and wish you the best in getting your dog eating again and on the road to recovery, or at least stabilized!

Thanks - just did some research into the bone broth and unfortunately bones are high in phosphorus so a no go

Sonya, I am so sorry you have to face this. I don't have any suggestions, but wanted to let you know I'll be thinking of you. I think you said there aren't any sores or any inflammation in his mouth. I've heard pumpkin is like candy to dogs.

We lost a 3 year old lab, and what we and the vets think, was that he inhaled a grass awn which lodged in his lung and caused a massive infection. He pretty much lost his appetite. Our vet suggested boiled ground beef and rice. He did eat that.

I hope your buddy turns around soon.

Sorry to hear about your dog.

I'm no help with dogs, but we do have an anorexic son and I can tell you that was pure hell. By far the worst thing we've ever experienced. He is completely recovered now and doing awesome.

I hope your dog recovers soon.

He's taken a turn for the worse overnight. There is vomit and diarrhoea all over and he can't keep water down now but is still trying to drink. I'm going to take him to the vets again but I think we're going to be told to say goodbye to him. I can't deal with this but need to do right by him.

I'm so sorry you and your furbaby have to go through this. My heartfelt prayers are with you both!!

This is the first dog I've had, how do people get other dogs after losing one? I don't think I could do this again. I know we're losing him and there's nothing I can do.

This made me tear up. I've had dogs my whole life - literally the only time I haven't lived with a dog is 4 years in college.

Its really hard to lose them. I think it's a bit easier for me, since I've known my whole life - both intellectually AND emotionally - that the dog will only be here for a little while. This pet will only be a chapter in my book.

"They don't know their lives are short, only that they are full."

It makes it easier when you have more than one. you don't go from coming to slobbery kisses to coming home to quiet.

Last edited:
Oh, Sonya, I'm sorry. This is the hardest part of pet ownership even though we all know it's going to end way before we want it to (unless you happen to get a tortoise or a parrot).

I hope they can get him sorted for you but if it doesn't work out that way, all my sympathy.

It sounds like maybe he ate something he shouldn't have - did the vet do x-rays? Maybe he has some foreign object stuck in his digestive system?

I am so very saddened by this. Losing my Phaedra (doberman) to breastfeeding cancer was the hardest thing I had ever faced when I was a young woman. We had been pregnant together and just had a very special bond. I am hoping for peace and comfort for you both.

The vet has given him an injection to stop the sickness and nausea to see if that helps convince him to eat. Also gave us some prescription food for malnourished dogs that's not really allowed with his kidney issue but says getting him to eat is much more important right now. He's also taken him off his kidney meds for now as they could be causing the symptoms. He has to go back tomorrow to see if he's eaten and possibly for another injection. Thankfully Buster hasn't vomited since this morning but has passed more blood. He's asleep in the garden where he loves to be at the moment.

Back