Exfoliating Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willyd

Reaction score
I have a recipe all set that makes 4 lbs of HP soap. But I want to include ground lime leaf as an exfoliant. My question is how much lime leaf to add per lb.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Bill

Interesting! Bet that smells really good! I don't know how scratchy ground lime leaf is. How fine is it? What does it feel like if you mix a little with water and rub it or your skin?
Here's a Soap Queen link that talks about using various exfoliants. The article suggests using 1 tsp pp for most things. Elsewhere, for oatmeal specifically, I've read to use up to 1 Tb pp.

Since your recipe is for 4 pounds, is there any way you can separate the batch in half or quarters and try out different amounts? Not sure when you'd do that with HP.

I agree, try it in a one pound recipe first to see if the ground lime leaf turns brown in the soap. Finely ground oatmeal makes a great exfollient and does not much affect the color of the soap.

Well, I love the feedback on this thread, and thanks to all for your two cents. Or a nickel whatever you pitched in :) The ground lime leaf is extremely fine, and I do worry it may be to fine to exfoliate well so a test is in order as was suggested. I have a 2 lb mold that I can cut in half with some kind of divider so I can make a 1 lb test batch. I doubt it matters what oil I use for my test really. I have some soy bean oil on hand that is cheap to buy, so I could mix that with enough coconut oil to make a lather. Think I'll add a 1 tbls of the lime leaf pp and see how that works. I was going to add some ginger grass and lime EO to the recipe but will likely skip that in the test batch. To keep the test soap from being to drying for the skin, I'll superfat it with a little olive oil.

Again, thanks to all!
Bill

I just use my normal recipe for test batches so I can use the soap.

You can use finely ground used coffee as an exfoliant or very fine walnut shells or salt straight into the batter or real vanilla bean scrapings (fine as they are!). The list is endless. Less is best so start with 1 tsp ppl.

So I did my test batch of ground lime leaf exfoliating soap and the results are in! Drum roll please!

The soap kept all of the color of the lime leaf, and is nice and hard as desired. However, the ground lime leaf is just too fine to get any noticeable exfoliation of the skin. Bumber. But that is OK, because the soap is really nice and smells great so I am still going to make a 4 lb batch of the stuff.

Thanks everyone for getting involved.
Bill

So I did my test batch of ground lime leaf exfoliating soap and the results are in! Drum roll please!

The soap kept all of the color of the lime leaf, and is nice and hard as desired. However, the ground lime leaf is just too fine to get any noticeable exfoliation of the skin. Bumber. But that is OK, because the soap is really nice and smells great so I am still going to make a 4 lb batch of the stuff.

Thanks everyone for getting involved.
Bill

I'd love to see a picture of your test soap. Or the 4 lb batch. How did you get the grind so fine? You must have a really good grinder!

I'd love to see a picture of your test soap. Or the 4 lb batch. How did you get the grind so fine? You must have a really good grinder!

Ask and you shall receive, here is a pic of the test batch. Sorry the pic is so large and turned sideways. I purchased the lime leaf on Amazon and it was pre-ground to a very fine powder. Turns out lime leaf powder is used in Thai cooking as a spice.

20161009_224814.jpg

Back