exfoliating ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, of course I personally grow every one of my soap ingredients myself. Just kidding. You're talking to the guy who though loofa came from the store until I found out on this forum that it's a plant! I get my shredded loofa via Bramble Berry. Do a search on here, @Misschief and others grow their own loofa.
Lol! I’ll try the food processor and report back.

Regarding exfoliating the 'lady bits'; I would prefer avoiding mechanical forms of exfoliation. ... On that basis, brine soap might be a safe natural soap option because salt water (ie without salt crystals) can apparently exfoliate.

I have created soap bars with as much salt as 7.5% ppo. I also figure that you might need to avoid high percentages of comedogenic fats and NaOH discount / superfat???

Happy for experiences and thoughts re brine exfoliation (in general) and corresponding percentages, etc.

Just to add, skin type and age may also have something to do with why some folks cannot tolerate what others can when it comes to soap additives. What some folks enjoy as an exfoliant, I *my skin* simply cannot tolerate. Even salt soap is too 'scratchy' on my skin to use it 'downstairs' ( term I recently ran across in a couple of 'foreign' films - made in other than my own country ). For me, colloidal oatmeal is too scratchy, so you can understand why I don't tolerate most exfoliants for anything other than the soles of my zorries-wearing feet (I wear zorries most of the time, so my soles are always rough) and my hands after intense muddy gardening events.

I haven't seen ground-up used chamomile flowers (cha-mo-mi-le ... sorry, couldn't resist) as the gentlest of exfoliators in CP soap. I use 2 tbs to make a qt of tea to make the lye solution (for however much liq I need) and leave the spent mess in the fridge in an open glass container to dry. It gets moldy if left out in the open. If you don't add color to your bars, the ground-up powder disperses very prettily in the soaps (I need to add a photo. Darn!) and even my youngest grands don't complain about any "scratchies".

Latest posts

Back