exfoliating ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterswoj

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I need help choosing an exfoliant. I have used poppy seeds but I was told its a bit rough on the lady bits. I also use tumeric, not so much as an exfoliant but for color, although I do like the texture. So, my real question is, what is a good in between? I was thinking pumice but I really don't like the sand it leaves behind. Are there any other seeds that aren't as aggressive? Let me know what you think. TIA!

I don't have an exact answer to your question, but I don't use exfoliating soap on my lady bits :eek:

Other than that, I like pumice for my go to for exfoliation. IMO, coffee is too rough. oats are too messy. I haven't used poppy, but they seem smooth enough to not irritate skin.

I haven't had a sand problem with pumice. Maybe you are using too much?

I use a boatload of various exfoliants in my gardener's soap -- and Mrs. Zing says there is no such thing as too much exfoliants. I use coffee grounds, poppy seeds, and shredded loofah. Originally I made the soap to wash my hands, but I also now occasionally use it in the shower and it's real invigorating and wakes me up (I do keep it away from um, certain bits.)

I use a boatload of various exfoliants in my gardener's soap -- and Mrs. Zing says there is no such thing as too much exfoliants. I use coffee grounds, poppy seeds, and shredded loofah. Originally I made the soap to wash my hands, but I also now occasionally use it in the shower and it's real invigorating and wakes me up (I do keep it away from um, certain bits.)

Do you worry about the loofah bits causing any issues with your plumbing? I haven’t tried them because I wondered about that.

Do you worry about the loofah bits causing any issues with your plumbing? I haven’t tried them because I wondered about that.
So my initial read was that 'plumbing' was a euphemism 😬 but you meant plumbing plumbing. No, the pipes in the house have been fine. My sister's family uses a ton of my gardening soap too and has had no issues.

I would not recommend any ground nut shells, or ground pumice because microscopically they are still sharp and will break your skin. Activated charcoal is better, but better still would be jojoba beads. They come in different sizes, but the small is best for exfoliation. You can find them at Brambleberry.

I love superfine pumice in my exfoliating soap. It doesn't break my skin at all, and it does a great job of removing gardening dirt from the creases in my skin. I've been using it in a soap based on @earlene's mechanic's soap (the one with borax in it).

Activated charcoal may serve to detoxify by drawing out, but it has no exfoliating affect. It has zero scratchiness or abrasion to it, nor any chemical exfoliation (like AHA or other acids) of which I am aware. Jojoba beads also don't exfoliate for me; they are just too soft and break open on contact.

i think pumice is fine for hands and gardening dirt, but i don't think i would recommend it for your face. Jojoba beads are much better and have no microscopic abrasives. If you google activated charcoal, you'll find that it is considered an exfoliator as well as a detoxifier. I make an exfoliating facial masque that includes activated charcoal as well as lactic and glycolic acid. works great!

i think pumice is fine for hands and gardening dirt, but i don't think i would recommend it for your face. Jojoba beads are much better and have no microscopic abrasives. If you google activated charcoal, you'll find that it is considered an exfoliator as well as a detoxifier. I make an exfoliating facial masque that includes activated charcoal as well as lactic and glycolic acid. works great!
The OP didn't request a facial bar and is clearly using the bar for washing the body.

IMO, the lactic acid and glycolic acid in your facial mask are the primary (chemical) exfoliators. Everyone's skin is different, so while AC and jojoba beads may work as exfoliators for you, they don't work as such for me because neither offers enough physical abrasion to remove dead skin or create the "polished" look that I want from an exfoliator.

Last edited:
By the response it seems the exfoliating bars aren't used much for the body. I have never made nor used a salt bar but maybe now is the time. Probably will make loofa bars too. After all that I will just make a bunch of garden soaps and experiment with exfoliants.

Hello everyone. I need help choosing an exfoliant. I have used poppy seeds but I was told its a bit rough on the lady bits. I also use tumeric, not so much as an exfoliant but for color, although I do like the texture. So, my real question is, what is a good in between? I was thinking pumice but I really don't like the sand it leaves behind. Are there any other seeds that aren't as aggressive? Let me know what you think. TIA!

I use steel cut oatmeal in mine, safe for the girl/guy bits.

and shredded loofah.
How do you shred your loofa? I grew them last year, and my results were a bit disappointing, they are pretty small and not very spongy. Shredding them might be a good solution. I'm going to grow them again this year, but started the seeds earlier this time.

How do you shred your loofa? I grew them last year, and my results were a bit disappointing, they are pretty small and not very spongy. Shredding them might be a good solution. I'm going to grow them again this year, but started the seeds earlier this time.
Yes, of course I personally grow every one of my soap ingredients myself. Just kidding. You're talking to the guy who though loofa came from the store until I found out on this forum that it's a plant! I get my shredded loofa via Bramble Berry. Do a search on here, @Misschief and others grow their own loofa.

Yes, of course I personally grow every one of my soap ingredients myself. Just kidding. You're talking to the guy who though loofa came from the store until I found out on this forum that it's a plant! I get my shredded loofa via Bramble Berry. Do a search on here, @Misschief and others grow their own loofa.

Well, I did. We're not doing much in the way of gardening this year. A few veggies in pots, some flowers... that's about it.

How about coconut shell powder, orange peel, lemon peel, orange peel powder, flax seed, colloidal oatmeal. Besides the peels, these are some more “gentle” exfoliants.

LOL, oatmeal flour is scratchy enough for me and I would not even use that in the nether regions. Of course, I also do not use lye soap down south.:eek::eek: My daughter, on the other hand, likes fine pumice. For a gardener's soap, I like pumice, and cornmeal, usually scented with Lemongrass and Litsea.

Latest posts

Back