Exfoliants - anyone use corn meal or chopped rice or other grains?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
I just tried some oats but got a lot of flour with it, I'll sift and see what happens. While eating an english muffin the bottom had corn meal and it has a nice texture. I was wondering if anyone used this as exfoliant or possible some type of rice grindings or choppings.

I use cornmeal in my Gardeners' Soap. It is very scrubby - too scrubby for a body soap, in my opinion.

Cornmeal is too scratchy for body soap in my experience. But there are those that like scratchy stuff. However, I use oats and pumice and poppy seeds as well as coffee (finely ground).

I've use amaranth grain before. Since they are round, they aren't scratchy but I'm not sure how well they exfoliate.

I make a kitchen soap with fine, ground pumice that works real well for us. For body soaps, I don't like anything extremely scratchy, so I use flaked baby oatmeal.

And I've lately been thinking of experimenting with some rice flour in a batch of facial soap. We'll see how that goes.

IrishLass :)

I tried poppy seeds and oats.
I like both but prefer oats. If you sift and keep larger flakes it will work well.

I love to use baby oatmeal and coffee grinds... I just use the grinds right out of the basket after brewing a pot. I also really like parsley and orange peel as both exfoliants and colorants.

I like using dead sea mud, baby oatmeal flakes, fine pumice, and ground azuki beans. The azuki beans leave nice specks of color in a natural uncolored base, or in a lighter color like pink clay.

I use coconut flour in my soap recipe that I have coconut oil in. My lard recipe was made for someone allergic to coconut oil, so I do not add it to that. I wonder how rice flour would do?

I make a kitchen soap with fine, ground pumice that works real well for us. For body soaps, I don't like anything extremely scratchy, so I use flaked baby oatmeal.

And I've lately been thinking of experimenting with some rice flour in a batch of facial soap. We'll see how that goes.

IrishLass :)

I was going through my pantry and came across cream of rice. It has a really nice texture - a cross of flakey salt and oatmeal - so it is softer than salt but kind of has the feeling of salt and fine oatmeal flakes.

Another option is steel cut oats. I think the standard size is a little large so I put it in a mini food processor and chopped them a little more. It turned some into a coarse flour but the remaining pieces were about 1/4 the size of the original. I put it through 2 sifters, the larger first, which keeps anything larger than the desired size out of the mix - and then I use a finer sifter to take out the fine/coarse flour with anything remaining in the sifter as what is used. The bag in the middle has oats a little bit larger than poppy seeds and gives a bit more "scratchy" feel as it isn't round like poppy.

oats.jpg

oats.jpg

do you have to grind the poppy seeds or can you put them in whole? I was wanting to give them a go. I have only ever tried adding really fine coffee and I find that too scratchy to use as body soap. great on dirty hands though

do you have to grind the poppy seeds or can you put them in whole? I was wanting to give them a go. I have only ever tried adding really fine coffee and I find that too scratchy to use as body soap. great on dirty hands though

The poppy seeds I use I put in whole. I know they do vary in size from .25 mm to 3mm depending upon the specie so it might depend on what kind you get.

Latest posts

Back