*Excited* Genny's Shampoo bar made--3 versions!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprice522

Reaction score
I am newer to soaping and had 2 over watered--taking forever to cure batches to start. Learned to do the soapcalc and made a good batch. Researched the heck out of salt bars--waited for a mold and finally made those.....

But I have been dying to make Genny's shampoo bar...
but I had to wait for supplies. I should have tried harder to source local because BB is ALL the way across the country! KILLED me waiting.

However--I had done a bunch of research on all the posted variations of Genny's recipe (read the WHOLE thread...twice) but really don't know my hair very well. My hair changed with every pregnancy 3 kids in 6 years...

So...I went decided on 3 recipe variations to be made the same. Nothing added to change soap (although I have silk waiting to be tried along with boiled down beer...KILLED Me to not add something)....but I knew I would have a better chance to judge the bars without differences.

I did the original--(all percentages) avocado 30 castor 10 OO 40 Shea 10 soy 10
EOs ginger lime rosemary

variation 1: avo 30 castor 10 oo 40 shea 10 soy 8 coconut 2
eo: orange and tea tree

variation 2: avo 30 castor 10 oo 40 shea 10 soy 5 coconut 5
eo: marjoram peppermint rosemary

I made all in 350g batches with 5% superfat

I really wanted to play with the superfat and go lower--but I have learned a bunch from this forum and am taking my time. I will see what happens with the 3 above and decide from there...but in the meanwhile...
I will be rendering some lard and tallow waiting in my freezer to try my hand at animal fats--and putting beer, silk and honey in something soon too!

Just wanted to say thank you too for the knowledge. I will post pictures after I unmold tomorrow night--they never look pretty like those I see here, but I enjoy the challenge of testing and trying new things! :)

I hope they all turn out great for you! I have Genny's shampoo bar on my ever growing 'to try' list.....but to be used as a facial bar, actually (for a family friend), instead of being used as a shampoo bar. I really need to get off my duff and get it soaped!

IrishLass :)

Yay! I made the original recipe a few weeks ago (I also read that whole thread multiple times...) and have the variation you have listed as #2 on my radar to make as well. My previous shampoo bar wasn't working for me anymore although it works wonders on my DH's short hair. I will be curious which recipe you like the best!

I really like the recipe as a facial bar. I switched out the Soy and just added it to the olive. It's very kind to my face. I alternate that with my salt bars for a clear complexion.

what's the difference between shampoo bar and other soap. looking at the recipe of shampoo bar it is similar to other soap. is there any specific requirement for shampoo bar ?

thank

Andre

It is usually a very low-cleansing bar with a mix of oils that would be a little strange as a general bar soap.

I can't link to the original thread, but the theory behind shampoo bars was well discussed and for most people a regular bar soap recipe just couldn't work the same as a dedicated shampoo bar recipe

what's the difference between shampoo bar and other soap. looking at the recipe of shampoo bar it is similar to other soap. is there any specific requirement for shampoo bar ?

thank

Andre

From what I have understood after reading various threads, a shampoo bar should be very low in Lauric & Myristic fatty acids (Coconut, Palm Kernel) so as not to rip off the physical moisture from scalp and hair, and also low to none in Palmitic & Stearic fatty acids (Palm, Lard, Tallow) as these create a soap film that is difficult to rinse from hair unless you use a lot of warm water.

Additionally a soap, with whatever fatty acids it has, will create soap scum if used with hard water. So this is another issue with shampoo bars, and are best used when you have soft water.

Read more from this message and on.

Nikos

Last edited:
thank you for detail explanation.
my daughter buys shampoo with lots of crap in it and she says nothing else
works for her. according to her shampoo needs to be heavy moisturizing and conditioning in order to work. I made a few different soaps she tried and she said didn't work for her. Her hairs are sticking together for some reason. today after reading the replay about shampoo I can see why it didn't work too much lauric, myristic all that. I am thinking to try the shampoo recipe posted a few days ago. any suggestion what should I try ?

thanks

Andre

thank you for detail explanation.
my daughter buys shampoo with lots of crap in it and she says nothing else
works for her. according to her shampoo needs to be heavy moisturizing and conditioning in order to work. I made a few different soaps she tried and she said didn't work for her. Her hairs are sticking together for some reason. today after reading the replay about shampoo I can see why it didn't work too much lauric, myristic all that. I am thinking to try the shampoo recipe posted a few days ago. any suggestion what should I try ?

thanks

Andre

Here's an excellent thread to read about shampoo bars and peoples experiences.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30946&highlight=genny

Second shunt's suggestion/post. It is a long thread, but shampoo bars are hard to formulate, it is a good idea to read through the whole thing (sorry:)) if you have lots of questions about the issue ...

Here are my finished shampoo soaps....what, 3 days old? Can I please use them NOW!!!! Grrr....I hate to wait.

19769993960_c0a009ab5e_k.jpg
[/url]Salt soaps by Angie price, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back