Excess oil - Soap Crumbled

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookworm

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Made my 8th batch of soap and ran into a problem. I made the soap on Sunday night and cut it now (Tues afternoon).
I think it riced once I added in the fragrance oil ( seamist) at the end.
There appears to be excess oil patches and the soap crumbled in some areas as I cut. I've not experienced this before.
I used a new mould which had a cover and I covered the soap.
I used
15% almond oil
20 % coconut oil fractionated
35% olive oil
15% palm oil
5% castor oil
5% each of shea butter and Coco butter

Can anyone advise where I went wrong?
Can I rebatch?

Thanking you all so much for your patience and support.
PXL_20210302_070755726.jpg
PXL_20210302_070755726.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210302_070747516.jpg
    PXL_20210302_070747516.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20210302_070714795.jpg
    PXL_20210302_070714795.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 8
The FO is the cause of the ricing - so in essence, you did nothing wrong. Make sure you check all of the reviews on each FO before you buy it. Ricing is one thing that really bugs me as a soaper. I can deal with acceleration, but bad ricing can ruin a bar of soap. Having said that, I have had soap rice on me and it's been fine other than looking a bit 'ricey' when cutting.
The excess oil should reabsorb in a few days. Just check there is no zap and you are probably good to go.
The crumbling is probably because you left it too long before cutting.
And I will question your use of fractioned CO - is this intentional? Regular CO is better in soap. I save fractionated CO for lotions and such like - it's quite expensive.

Thank you so much for your helpful response. The coconut oil is the only one supplied by the two companies I buy from. It's the first time I used it, before that I just used coconut oil from the grocery store with no problem. But I thought I'd buy bulk therefore bought this one,not realising the difference.I ran the recipe through soap calc. Well live and learn.
There was only one review of the FO, which didn't mention ricing. But I'll be sure to check out reviews prior to purchase,thank you for the tips.

Back