Example of color using just your fragrance oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPSoaper

Reaction score
I unmolded this soap this morning. It did not turn out as I planned, but I think it still may look neat. I did not use any colorants, just the Pink Sugar fragrance. It was made in my wood log mold.

I made this one using 3 different layers. The first layer is just 1lb of oils, no scent and no color. The middle layer is 2lbs of oils, scented with Pink Sugar and blind swirled. The top layer, another 1 lb of oils, no scent and no color. The last layer blended a bit with the scented layer so I don't think I will get the contrast I wanted. Also, the 1 lb recipes I made using unrefined hemp oil that I needed to use so it will not be the white I was going for. This soap will continue to get darker. In the pictures, it is already darker than it was when I unmolded this morning. You could barely see the contrast of the layers then.

PinkSugar2.jpg

PinkSugar.jpg

The soap will continue to post pictures of it as it darkens, if you would like.

I LOVE the Pink Sugar FO, but everytime I use it, it turns Soooooo dark, almost black (after about 5 weeks of curing)

One way I have found to bring out the layers is to use Titanium Dioxide, Oil Dispersible, on the portion you are not scenting and a little black or dark brown mica, oxide, herb colorant, etc...on the section you are scenting... after about 3 weeks, it cures into two very contrasting colors.

Regaurdless, you still made a very nice soap!

Thank you. :) I love this scent too. It is one of my most popular scents in everything.

My intention was to not use any colorants in this to see what kind of contrast I can get without them. I am hoping for quite the contrast and hoping that my blind swirls really come through. I'm not very well versed on the blind swirling technique. This is one of my practice runs.

Looks great CPS! I love blind swirls or I call them reverse swirls. Anyway, nice layering! How long did you wait between layers? Did you spritz with alcohol the tops between layers? Inquiring minds need answers! Nice!!

Paul.. :wink:

I have never spritzed my layers with alcohol and have never had any problems. Normally, I wait long enough between layers to make the next batch. I always have all my oils/butters in bowls with the lye for each layer ready to go. I make one layer at a time, clean up from that batch and go immediately to the next batch. By the time, I've made the next layer, the previously poured layer has set up enough. I think if I waited longer to pour my layers, I might need to spritz with alcohol. It is going to be fun watching it darker while the contrasts get more visible. I really want to try the vanilla stabilizer from BCN since this a very popular scent for me. I hate the discoloration I get from it.

I think they look fantastic! Actually, that's something I had in mind to try myself.

I love the look of "natural" colored soap.

Great job!!!!

Sandalwood fragrance oil also turns soap dark. Interestingly, when I added Sandalwood to my basic soap superfatted with shea the soap remained light in color. When I added Sandalwood to my basic soap superfatted with Castor oil the soap turned dark. The scent is nicer, as well. The shea soap did OK sales at a holiday craft show last December, but the Castor soap sold out immediately. Hmmm.

soapgardener said:
Sandalwood fragrance oil also turns soap dark. Interestingly, when I added Sandalwood to my basic soap superfatted with shea the soap remained light in color. When I added Sandalwood to my basic soap superfatted with Castor oil the soap turned dark. The scent is nicer, as well. The shea soap did OK sales at a holiday craft show last December, but the Castor soap sold out immediately. Hmmm.

Castor oil makes my soap darker too! Especially if I do a heavy gel phase... Hmmmmm....

I will post a picture tomorrow to show what the soap now looks like. It has gotten quite dark.

Here is what they now look like. It has been 8 days since I made them.

pinksugar0112-08B.jpg

pinksugar01-12-08.jpg

I really wanted more of a contrast between the outer layers and the middle. But I knew it was going to be darker than I wanted because of the oils I used. I had to improvise on my normal recipe. I did not have enough oils so I used different oils.

They still are not cleaned up and beveled. I am doing that today.

Looks great!

On a side note...I wish Pink Sugar didn't discolor... I'd love to make lite pink soaps and lotions with it....

I too wish it did not turn dark. I've been reading about this vanilla stabilizer that Bitter Creek North sells. I think I may have to invest in some and give it a try.

lane wrote
One way I have found to bring out the layers is to use Titanium Dioxide, Oil Dispersible, on the portion you are not scenting and a little black or dark brown mica, oxide, herb colorant, etc...on the section you are scenting... after about 3 weeks, it cures into two very contrasting colors.
The Titanium Dioxide, oil dispersible.. Where do you find this?

Thanks, Neil[/quote]

Latest posts

Back