Everything CRICUT (Silhouette, Sizzix, Brother, etc.) thread!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I hope you haven't gone to bed. I gave up and just completely used squares to get it to weld. Took me a while to get it right but at least it's done.

I asked on cricut's facebook and they said "A line doesn't technically take up any space so it's not possible to weld. You will have to use squares and circles and weld them together to get the shape you want, then use score lines to score along the folds". I've asked three times there before today and was ignored. At least I finally have my answer. I was nearly really rude and asked them "if it doesn't take up any space, then how come you can make it 1pk thick because isn't that space?" but I decided not to be a smart***.

I still think it's ridiculous that you can't weld lines together since that's such a common shape.
Glad you received an answer. It seems like it is easier to get a joined line shape by starting with a whole shape and removing (slice) away the sides not needed. Good to know about lines!
Cricut doesn’t always make logical sense to me. It can be frustrating.

FYI, for those considering a new Cricut purchase, go to NeliDesigns dot com and sign up for her newsletter to receive a 10% discount code + free shipping for any purchase from the Cricut website. :)

She also has some really helpful tutorials on her blog, a free downloadable “cheat sheet,” and some good YT videos.

Today my grandsons came over to do yardwork again - and of course, to make Cricut stuff with me! :) I forgot to get a picture of the two water bottles that the youngest embellished (one for himself and one for his best friend), but here is a pic of my husband's daily-use water container that goes everywhere with him. It's pretty scratched up and dented, but the boys did a great job working around that. If you look closely, you can see that we had to repair the "4" after part of it got weeded away. ;)

IMG_2211.jpeg

This post is a recommendation for svg files purchase. Yesterday bought digital files for Cricut type cutters. Everything from this shop includes svg and multiple other formats such as adobe illustrator, png. For new to the format this type of file selection means files can be used for Cricut cutting and the same image in a png or ai format can be sent with an order for a soap stamp or label or business card or just about anything. The shop has great selections. And there is a buy one get one free (up to buy 4 get 4 free). Sale codes on first page of site. Files delivered by electronic download. I love the botany group. Also stars, circles. Here is link. FireflyDesignn - Etsy
Edited. These images are sold in groups. Some groups have 50 images. Each image comes as a svg file and a png or ai file.

What a great site - thank you, @cmzaha!

I forgot to mention that Vaseline worked amazingly well to clean off the sticky tape residue from the name tag my husband had taped to his water bottle. I can't remember where I read to try using plain oil to remove sticky residue, but it came to mind when I spotted the big tub of Vaseline while searching for our bottle of Goo-Gone. Honestly, the Vaseline worked faster than Goof-Off or Goo-Gone at a much lower cost. Plus, it had no horrible smell, wasn't runny or drippy, and was easily removed from the surface with an alcohol wipe-down. I'll never go back to using the other stuff!

What a great site - thank you, @cmzaha!

I forgot to mention that Vaseline worked amazingly well to clean off the sticky tape residue from the name tag my husband had taped to his water bottle. I can't remember where I read to try using plain oil to remove sticky residue, but it came to mind when I spotted the big tub of Vaseline while searching for our bottle of Goo-Gone. Honestly, the Vaseline worked faster than Goof-Off or Goo-Gone at a much lower cost. Plus, it had no horrible smell, wasn't runny or drippy, and was easily removed from the surface with an alcohol wipe-down. I'll never go back to using the other stuff!
Thats incredibly useful to know. Thank you.

Today I accompanied a friend who was buying a used Cricut bundle from a local artist. We had a great time looking around her gorgeous studio and seeing the amazing paper flowers she created with her Cricut. She's now focusing her efforts on textured abstract acrylic paintings, and she wanted the Cricut to go to someone who would enjoy it (which my friend very much will).

On Friday night, one of the grandsons is coming to spend the night so we can work on his Mother's Day card and gift, using the Cricut, of course! In the meantime, I've been learning Design Space and making a few different cards to learn the ropes. These aren't glued together yet, since I'm waiting for my craft glue to arrive tomorrow. I'm also stuck using various shades of pink and red because those were the only paper colors in the destash bundle I purchased. 😄 The multi-color paper pack should arrive tomorrow with the glue. And ummm a few other things. ;)

IMG_2213.jpeg

Funny story... I've had a paper cutter for something like 10 years. After watching a bunch of card-making YouTube videos, I decided I needed to purchase one that has the swing-out ruler for measuring, like this:
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 7.26.38 PM.png

Well, I was cleaning mine today, and what do you know... it HAS a swing-out ruler underneath. DOH! Ten years of using that thing and I didn't know it had the ruler. Sheesh! At least I didn't buy a second one before figuring that out. 😅

Last edited:
@AliOop your cards are scrumptious! And your grandson is blessed to have you as his Grandma. Learning crafts is a gateway to self sufficiency and artistic endeavors imho.
So lovely that you support your friend with her Cricut.

Below is the Mother's Day card that my 10yo grandson chose to make for his mom. He picked out the design, including the various colors of cardstock and paper. After he was in bed, I set it up in Cricut Design Space, and marked each set of papers so we could be sure to cut them in order. His allergies are really bad right now, so in the one picture, he's lying on the floor while "weeding." With some prompts from me, he ran the Cricut, weeded everything out, and glued it together. I am so impressed with his color skills (limited only by my paper selection), and his attention to detail. The little box in the middle has "gift" cards for things like free backrubs, chores, and breakfast in bed. 💖

IMG_2224.jpeg

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

Wanted to do sublimation printing with Cricut. Can be done with sublimation markers and cricut. Or sublimation printer Both need heat press to transfer sublimation ink onto surfaces. Many say impossible to sublimate on paper packaging. However here is excellent YouTube showing sublimation on packaging. My goal was to print a logo directly onto soap boxes. Sublimation ink transfers by turning into a gas and transferring into the object. Here is example of soap boxes done with sublimation. The 9x9 press does 4 boxes easily. These are variations on a logo in development. I love being able to add logo directly onto boxes. No vinyl. No label. Just ink. Used temperature of 385 at 55 seconds. Went through about ten boxes getting temp and time right. The soap boxes are coated paper which is why they took sublimation ink so well. Most coated paper is clay coating. Boxes came from Brambleberry. Am self punching holes in opposite side to show soap.
Edited to add link.

Attachments

• BD802A74-59D5-4C18-98AA-DC3493C02B02.jpeg
    BD802A74-59D5-4C18-98AA-DC3493C02B02.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
@bwtapestry those are amazing! I love that you don't have to buy - or apply - any labels. I don't have the space in my office/soap room/cricut room to devote to another printer, so the tip about sublimation pens is a gem, too. I had no idea!

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge on all of this.

@bwtapestry those are amazing! I love that you don't have to buy - or apply - any labels. I don't have the space in my office/soap room/cricut room to devote to another printer, so the tip about sublimation pens is a gem, too. I had no idea!

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge on all of this.
Absolutely. Oh a few notes on sublimation pens and Cricut. The pens put enough ink on plain copy paper to wet with ink and then tear it. So strongly recommend purchasing sublimation paper. Check Amazon warehouse for deals. Sublimation paper is plain white and made to accept sublimation inks. I tried plain white copy paper and found less than satisfactory results. Colors were better brighter clearer when using sublimation paper. There is also pre-printed sublimation paper that can be cut with Cricut. Caution if applying to non polyester items may need a spray coating to enable sublimation ink to penetrate items. JenniferMaker has much information on her website.
Glad to help others always. So many have helped me!

My grandson came over yesterday to make invitations to his upcoming birthday party. Those are the first two pictures below.

When we were done, then he picked out a couple of designs for me to make his cake toppers: one for the family cake on his actual birthday, and one for cake we will bring to his "friend" party. He also picked out a design for the card he wanted me to make for him. 😂 He loves the more complex designs, so I was up pretty late working on the card and the toppers.They aren't pro quality by any means, but I'm happy with them. If I hadn't been so tired, I would have remembered to use the Cricut to write on the outside and inside of his card. 🤦‍♀️

What's really cool is that I asked him if he would ever want a Cricut. His eyes lit up and he said, "Yeah!" Since we already got his birthday present, grandma is now on the hunt for a used one for his Christmas present. ;)

IMG_2556.jpegIMG_2557.jpegIMG_2562.jpeg
IMG_2563.jpeg

IMG_2564.jpeg

Back