Everything CRICUT (Silhouette, Sizzix, Brother, etc.) thread!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weld feature cannot be undone once a design has been welded. Before welding a design save a copy of it labeled as "unwelded".
I watched a Cricut YT video that said you could unweld, or use the undo button as many times as needed. Will try to find it in the pile of Cricut videos I've watched and saved in the last week! I'd like to think that it is a recently updated feature, but let's be honest, the more likely reality is that I'm simply confusing it with another technique demonstrated by one of the YT Cricut experts. 😅

Meanwhile, your suggestion to save an unwelded version is genius!!

For what it is worth here are the soap bands I made using Cricut. Started as a band that wrapped around the soap
I watched a Cricut YT video that said you could unweld, or use the undo button as many times as needed. Will try to find it in the pile of Cricut videos I've watched and saved in the last week! I'd like to think that it is a recently updated feature, but let's be honest, the more likely reality is that I'm simply confusing it with another technique demonstrated by one of the YT Cricut experts. 😅

Meanwhile, your suggestion to save an unwelded version is genius!!
Hopefully there is an unweld feature. But I could not find it last week. Genius? Perhaps not. My ideas are always born of the fire of misfortune (making mistakes!!! ) I'm extremely stubborn and quite unwilling to let Cricut have the last word!

Here are pics of the evolution of a soap wrapper. I am not selling but making plans to do so in future. With that in mind have been sourcing things and working on packaging that could be done with Cricut. I have a Maker that is several years old. By the way I learned to Cricut on the very first machine that was made by ProvoCraft. Found one at thrift store for ten dollars, found software, uploaded svg files. The older machines only cut and at 6" wide x 12" long. They do not connect to design space.
Editing to say that this post is continued elsewhere. I don't know how to delete a post yet...

Last edited:
@AliOop That sounds like a fun activity to do with your grandson! I have experimented with micas as well instead of glitter (some boys do not like the idea of glitter on them, depends on the age), and mica has worked fairly well (not well enough for me to offer it at parties though) but have used them on myself.

Between that and the tshirt that should keep him entertained!

Here is the Cricut label that I put together. It is made on Cricut using "print then cut" feature. That prints on a printer with a special border that the Cricut can read. So first printed on printer then put into Cricut machine to cut. This label is in a T shape. I made the t shape with two rectangles. Add the text on horizontal rectangle and mark it as print then cut. Then be sure the rectangle is marked for cut. Then add the lower rectangle shape and weld. The lower portion is blank so that an Avery label can be attached with ingredients. I do not currently sell however within the next year I will be selling. Thought it would be good to have one label for multiple products and this was the result. If this is an idea you can use, please do so. The pics are of soap I made in my first year of soaping. Heavy on the dandelions and now I know less is more :) I wrap the band and then tuck the label portion under the soap and up into the back of the band. It is easy to gently pull the label out to read and then tuck back in. I named my company Dandelion Chi because I am hardy like a dandelion. I can grow wherever I am planted. Besides dandelions are beautiful even as they age.
Edited to add: I use 67 base Neenah Vellum paper on 8.5 x 11 sheets. The weight is perfect for this use and it folds well for wrapping. Vellum paper is a tiny bit rough and the glue sticks well.

Attachments

• IMG_5105.jpeg
    IMG_5105.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5103.jpeg
    IMG_5103.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5104.jpeg
    IMG_5104.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5102.jpeg
    IMG_5102.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This post features the use of a hand held punch. It's made by EK and the hole size is 1 3/4". I am using it to punch holes in boxes that will then be labeled with a Cricut sticky label on the other side. Brambleberry has these boxes at .11 each. Need to purchase 500 boxes for that price. They are beautifully made and a nice medium heavy weight. Coated paper white. 3.5" L x 3" W x 1" H Holes will be punched into boxes for soap use. However I plan on using these without holes for other items such as lotion bars, and containers of balm, etc. Whatever seems too small for the box will be wrapped in a bit of tissue paper to keep it from shifting. Boxes are expensive and I will be splitting this lot with my sister and sister in law. The EK punches are available second hand and you MUST look for the same type of punch which is EK stackable or EK Success. This style of punch fits inside the box for punching of only one side. I punch upside down so I can see where the paper is in relation to the punch. There is a minor dilemma in that the fold of the box closure will show in the circle (see last pic.) This is ok with me as I am saving money and the 1 3/4" hole is large enough to still see soap and smell soap. Here is link for BB: White Soap Box | BrambleBerry

Attachments

• IMG_5115.jpeg
    IMG_5115.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5114.jpeg
    IMG_5114.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5113.jpeg
    IMG_5113.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5112.jpeg
    IMG_5112.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5111.jpeg
    IMG_5111.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5109.jpeg
    IMG_5109.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5108.jpeg
    IMG_5108.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5107.jpeg
    IMG_5107.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5106.jpeg
    IMG_5106.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5110.jpeg
    IMG_5110.jpeg
@AliOop That sounds like a fun activity to do with your grandson! I have experimented with micas as well instead of glitter (some boys do not like the idea of glitter on them, depends on the age), and mica has worked fairly well (not well enough for me to offer it at parties though) but have used them on myself.

Between that and the tshirt that should keep him entertained!
Once we create and cut the stencil with the Cricut, my plan was to use regular face paint to create his "tattoos" since that's faster and less messy. ;)

I'm extremely stubborn and quite unwilling to let Cricut have the last word!
Glad it's not just me. 😁

More Cricut packaging. Pillow boxes. Very easy to make with Cricut. Am using these to package lotion bars. I have odd allergies to metals so am averse to using tins. Hence this packaging with small glassine envelopes and pillow boxes. The template for pillow boxes can be found here: How to Make & Assemble Beautiful Boxes with your Cricut + Free Templates
The glassine envelopes (environmentally friendly) are here: eco friendly packaging for small businesses
XO and Quin sell on Etsy and Ebay however you will save if you go directly to their website. They also have environmentally friendly labels.
Labels on glassine envelopes in picture are Avery
The first picture is a pillow envelope with a one ounce lotion bar that has been riding around in my handbag for some time. I made these pillow envelopes however the paper is too thin. The other pictures are purchased pillow boxes with heavier paper. The glassine envelope protects the lotion bar and the pillow box gives an extra bit of protection.
Am currently testing on friends and family. I wanted the one ounce bars so that I could sell different bars as a group (one for evening, one for day, one for bug repellant etc.). The bar molds are from Brambleberry 9 section guest sized bars. Or you can message me and I will give you the Alibaba supplier and you can save a bit but wait some time for molds to arrive. The heart lotion bar is made in 1/2 of a plastic heart shape mold found in craft store or online. The plastic is very hard and I put lotion bars into the freezer for 20 mins after pouring which helps release from molds.

Attachments

• IMG_5120.jpeg
    IMG_5120.jpeg
  • IMG_5122.jpeg
    IMG_5122.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5121.jpeg
    IMG_5121.jpeg
  • IMG_5119.jpeg
    IMG_5119.jpeg
  • IMG_5118.jpeg
    IMG_5118.jpeg
  • IMG_5117.jpeg
    IMG_5117.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5116.jpeg
    IMG_5116.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Something tells me that people who are "makers" are often determined people.
Oh yes!

have odd allergies to metals so am averse to using tins.
I can't say I'm allergic to metals, although I have terrible reactions to jewelry (especially earrings!) unless it is made with stainless steel, titanium, or 14k gold. Some sterling silver pieces are ok, but some aren't; my best guess is that some is nickel-contaminated, or has some manufacturing residue that my skin doesn't like.

Back to the tins, to me they give off an odd smell that is often imparted to the lotion bars, even when the tins are lined with grease paper. I really, really dislike that odd metallic smell and won't be reordering any tins when I use up the current supply. I hadn't yet come up with an alternative packaging plan, so your pillow box idea is quite timely!

I'm just loving all the creativity and sharing of ideas here!

@bwtapestry those jute tag holders look so cool! Thanks for sharing the link.

@MelissaG I have watched some YT videos about combining lines, but I'll be honest, I'll have to write myself a cheat sheet to follow since I will NOT remember all those steps while under the pressure of designing something. Meanwhile, for your boxes, are you cutting and scoring them on the Cricut, and then adding labels to them (that were also created on Cricut and printed with your printer)?

@glendam I adore those P&P soaps. And the stencil idea is fantastic! My younger grandson will definitely love wearing some temporary tattoos, and we will definitely do some of those this weekend.

This grandson is super artistic, but he has a hard time paying attention if he isn't the the primary action-taker (he doesn't like to sit and watch). So, I will predesign some tattoo stencils so they are ready to cut, and also his mom's Mother's Day t-shirt design so it's ready to print and cut. That way, he can jump right in to push buttons, watch the machine work, do the weeding and pressing, etc. Once I'm more comfortable with the design process, I'll let him work on that at the computer while I coach in the background. I'm so thrilled to have found something that he will love doing together!
I print the labels themselves on labels from Online Labels. I found that their weatherproof labels work much better in my area of high humidity. Plus they're easy to clean if they get dirty. The boxes I cut out on cricut, same with the tags. The tags I use cricut to print "draw" the flowers with ink, and to cut the rest of the the tag. The labels for them, I'm currently printing on Labels from Online Labels. Though that is mostly because I still have some printed and have to use them up. I'm going to see if I can print then cut when those run out since the paper is thinner.

@MelissaG Last week it took me some time to figure out how to combine lines and shapes. My mind gets certain Cricut things but not necessarily others. I was very lucky in that I found a website with instructions I could easily grasp. WARNING. You will have to use "WELD". Weld feature cannot be undone once a design has been welded. Before welding a design save a copy of it labeled as "unwelded". Then go ahead and weld away knowing that if you make a mistake you can always delete the mistake file and go back and open up the unwelded file. Just remember to keep saving a copy as "unwelded" and you will be fine. I had to go back and begin again about 4 times before I figured out how to weld shapes together so that the machine would cut them as one piece and not two pieces. So was very glad to have the saved artwork to try again. Another tip: the pieces that you are welding together must overlap one another. If they do not overlap a bit the weld feature will be grayed out. Regarding paper weight. I am using a 67 base Neenah Vellum Bristol paper which works well in my printer and also for soap wraps. See if your printer has a back of printer feeder for heavier paper or a pull out feed tray instead of the regular paper tray. the back of feeder and pull out trays often accept heavier paper because it does not have to turn inside the printer like it does when being pulled from the normal paper drawer. Here is the website page for weld/Cricut with best instructions for my brain type: How to Weld Text and Images in Cricut Design Space
The option to weld is greyed out when I select two cut lines. This only happens with lines.

Something tells me that people who are "makers" are often determined people.
Given the time It's taken to get this right, oh yes. After I changed the name to my etsy store, I'm STILL looking for one. I must be insane.

The option to weld is greyed out when I select two cut lines. This only happens with lines.
Hmmm. Do the lines overlap? I had to move one rectangle into the other rectangle before they would weld. Is this in the area of your box where it has the "dipped" shape?

Given the time It's taken to get this right, oh yes. After I changed the name to my etsy store, I'm STILL looking for one. I must be insane.
Insane is defined as doing the same thing but expecting different results. You are doing different things and looking for different results. that is imho called "scientific creativity"

Oh yes!

I can't say I'm allergic to metals, although I have terrible reactions to jewelry (especially earrings!) unless it is made with stainless steel, titanium, or 14k gold. Some sterling silver pieces are ok, but some aren't; my best guess is that some is nickel-contaminated, or has some manufacturing residue that my skin doesn't like.

Back to the tins, to me they give off an odd smell that is often imparted to the lotion bars, even when the tins are lined with grease paper. I really, really dislike that odd metallic smell and won't be reordering any tins when I use up the current supply. I hadn't yet come up with an alternative packaging plan, so your pillow box idea is quite timely!
Agree with the tins issue. The pillow boxes are interesting because they can be made from fairly heavy paper materials which could be coated papers. There is another interesting type of box called easy fold. An Amazon search on "easy fold mailing box" will bring up the basic look. This box cannot be that difficult to make on Cricut. Am going to work on a small one from the thickest coated paper the Cricut will take. The question is could it be used for storage of lotion bars etc? It would depend on the coating of the inside of the paper. Coated papers use clay in many instances and lots of papers are made to be food safe. Neenah Papers has a very good website for ideas and paper info: Share

Not sure how to weld two lines together. If you want to cut a triangle shape out of a rectangle shape, use the slice feature.
The first screen shot is two lines into a rectangle and could not do a thing with them. So instead dropped a triangle shape on top of the rectangle shape. Select all. Select slice. Use mouse to move pieces apart. Would this work for what you want to do?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 16.13.21.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 16.13.21.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 16.19.43.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 16.19.43.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 16.20.04.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 16.20.04.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 0
Hi, sure, just be prepared. lol. I bought it to make custom boxes and went a little cricut crazy. I don't sell the crafts I make because I make bath and body stuff and love it. But I do make things to decorate my booth. It's almost all made of paper and glue with some vinyl.

So, you see my new soap boxes and labels. The scan and pay is made by me. As is the 3d bunny and the daisy. The paper houses light up from the inside with led lights.
Really love those soap bar sleeves! Did you design them or find a template? I’ve been looking and trying to design something similar but so far no luck. Maybe I am searching for the wrong thing.

Hmmm. Do the lines overlap? I had to move one rectangle into the other rectangle before they would weld. Is this in the area of your box where it has the "dipped" shape?
They do. I don't know what the problem is.

1681423313509.png

Really love those soap bar sleeves! Did you design them or find a template? I’ve been looking and trying to design something similar but so far no luck. Maybe I am searching for the wrong thing.
I originally found a template at templates.io. But it wouldn't upload correctly so I redid it by hand in cricut design space and changed it to match what I wanted.

They do. I don't know what the problem is.

View attachment 71967
I see cut lines and score lines. Question. Are the double vertical lines to the far right both cut lines?
here is how I interpret the cut and score lines. I must be missing something. Maybe I do not know enough about Cricut :/
which two lines are not cooperating? Thank you @MelissaG

Attachments

• 68836-1681423313509.png
    68836-1681423313509.png
    765.3 KB · Views: 0
I see cut lines and score lines. Question. Are the double vertical lines to the far right both cut lines?
here is how I interpret the cut and score lines. I must be missing something. Maybe I do not know enough about Cricut :/
which two lines are not cooperating? Thank you @MelissaG
On the far right, those are the selected lines. This is how it looks without the line highlighted. But you have the rest of them correct. I extended the lines to make sure they are cut properly since I couldn't get the lines to join. I can't get any of the cut lines to join meld. All the cut lines are overlapping at least a bit but the meld option is always greyed out even when I select multiple cut lines. Do they need to be a different kind of line in order to get them to meld, then I turn them into cut lines after?

1681434911037.png

Last edited:
On the far right, those are the selected lines. This is how it looks without the line highlighted. But you have the rest of them correct. I extended the lines to make sure they are cut properly since I couldn't get the lines to join. I can't get any of the cut lines to join meld. All the cut lines are overlapping at least a bit but the meld option is always greyed out even when I select multiple cut lines. Do they need to be a different kind of line in order to get them to meld, then I turn them into cut lines after?

View attachment 71972
Let me check with my sister. She is my Cricut teacher and will know. Be back tomorrow.

Let me check with my sister. She is my Cricut teacher and will know. Be back tomorrow.
Oh I hope you haven't gone to bed. I gave up and just completely used squares to get it to weld. Took me a while to get it right but at least it's done.

I asked on cricut's facebook and they said "A line doesn't technically take up any space so it's not possible to weld. You will have to use squares and circles and weld them together to get the shape you want, then use score lines to score along the folds". I've asked three times there before today and was ignored. At least I finally have my answer. I was nearly really rude and asked them "if it doesn't take up any space, then how come you can make it 1pk thick because isn't that space?" but I decided not to be a smart***.

I still think it's ridiculous that you can't weld lines together since that's such a common shape.

Back