Everything CRICUT (Silhouette, Sizzix, Brother, etc.) thread!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With all the discussions about Cricut machines, I thought it would be great to have a dedicated thread to show off our projects, discuss ideas, and share tips. I hope to upload some pics here later today or tomorrow, but meanwhile, show us your Cricut creations! If you are using a similar machine, you are welcome to share here, too!

@msunnerstood and @MelissaG Hopefully you don't mind that I'm tagging both of you since you've already outed yourselves as competent Cricut users. We'd love to see your creations, and maybe hear some tips about things you've learned along the way. :)

Last edited:
Well, that was some world-class enabling right there. I'm now the proud new owner of a Cricut 😂 Excited to see everyone's creations!
Always happy to be of assistance, and always at no charge, of course (as long as you don't take into account what you spend because of my, ummm, encouragement). 😁

I cut the designs on all these cups out on my cricut

1681329061600.jpeg20211110_075220.jpg20220225_111802.jpg20210825_133536.jpg

Hi, sure, just be prepared. lol. I bought it to make custom boxes and went a little cricut crazy. I don't sell the crafts I make because I make bath and body stuff and love it. But I do make things to decorate my booth. It's almost all made of paper and glue with some vinyl.

So, you see my new soap boxes and labels. The scan and pay is made by me. As is the 3d bunny and the daisy. The paper houses light up from the inside with led lights.

Attachments

• 20230412_163733.jpg
    20230412_163733.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230412_163720.jpg
    20230412_163720.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230220_054837.jpg
    20230220_054837.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230215_172639.jpg
    20230215_172639.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Untitled-2.png
    Untitled-2.png
    378.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    333.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 292956652_563707501920985_4542623382168975571_n.jpg
    292956652_563707501920985_4542623382168975571_n.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 292612626_563709151920820_5800073225763304136_n.jpg
    292612626_563709151920820_5800073225763304136_n.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled-3.png
    Untitled-3.png
    245.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230412_163823.jpg
    20230412_163823.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sorry, it has an attachment limit.Here's the others. You can see part of the paper pumpkin I did behind one of the signs. It's 3d and has a witch flying over a bunch of kids saying Happy Halloween.

Attachments

• 20230412_163803.jpg
    20230412_163803.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Attach17958_20221007_133231.jpg
    Attach17958_20221007_133231.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Attach17901_20220928_225019.jpg
    Attach17901_20220928_225019.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Attach19864_20230124_172234.jpg
    Attach19864_20230124_172234.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 0
@MelissaG your Cricut work is marvelous! In my wildest dreams I cannot imagine making that fabulous house that lights up inside. You are a Cricut expert.
Not really. You can buy the design on etsy or get something like it from cricut access. The signs are parts of other designs that I chopped up and created my own design from. I just thought they were cute and fun. I have had people ask if they can buy them but I don't have a commercial license for anything.

The labels and boxes for my products are my own design, though. Those took quite a while to get right and have gone through many interactions.

Not really. You can buy the design on etsy or get something like it from cricut access. The signs are parts of other designs that I chopped up and created my own design from. I just thought they were cute and fun. I have had people ask if they can buy them but I don't have a commercial license for anything.

The labels and boxes for my products are my own design, though. Those took quite a while to get right and have gone through many interactions.
Are your soap wrappers print and cut? My sister is helping me learn this technique on Cricut. And yes wrappers, boxes, are tons of work. Found very well designed small misc box templates and made them all in order to learn. It’s fun however very time consuming for boxes. Here is a link to the first box templates i made. Courtesy of a talented Cricut designer and her dad:
https://www.daydreamintoreality.com/make-assemble-boxes-cricut/

Are your soap wrappers print and cut? My sister is helping me learn this technique on Cricut. And yes wrappers, boxes, are tons of work. Found very well designed small misc box templates and made them all in order to learn. It’s fun however very time consuming for boxes. Here is a link to the first box templates i made. Courtesy of a talented Cricut designer and her dad:
https://www.daydreamintoreality.com/make-assemble-boxes-cricut/
No, I wanted to but I don't have a printer that will print 110lb/300gsm paper. I have a new inkjet but even the highest it goes is 80lb. I print the labels separately. The boxes are all cut by my cricut though.

I forgot to share my bath bomb tags. The tags are two 80lb pieces. One piece has the outline of the rose and it's leaves in my logo cut out. The other piece has the rose lines inside. The two pieces are both cut out on the cricut, then glued together. It's a pity it's not showing up very well my phone camera because they really are very pretty. I have all the colors of the rainbow available and make them myself. It takes more time. I started putting my bath bombs inside the biolefin plastic, sealing just above the bomb, then tying it off with jute twine and tying the tag onto it. I then put the labels on the front and back of the tag. It looks so pretty. You can kind of see what I mean in the image attached. It's from one of my lives (I always broadcast live for a few minutes at the start of every market).

I've also attached an image from the same video so you can see what my boxes look like now.

I'll be honest, getting that box to cut right was a serious pain. I have yet to figure out how to combine lines. Nothing I do in the app will do it. The option doesn't appear. So I've taken to extending the lines past the image to get them to cut properly. If you know how, please tell me. I'm a terrible videographer lol.

I'd give you my box cut but cricut won't let me export lol. I actually have two. One for special events like Christmas and Halloween. One for regular soap. They are different. And still a pita. The special event ones are on the top row. The labeling is on the back, bottom, and sides. They are harder to put together than the others.

Attachments

• 20230412_163751.jpg
    20230412_163751.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    398.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled-2.png
    Untitled-2.png
    341.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled-4.png
    Untitled-4.png
    297.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I use my Silhouette a lot for the personalized bibles, but also to make stencils, stencils for glitter tattoos:
View attachment 71911

also stencils for soaps:
View attachment 71912
also make wall signs and custom t-shirts but I don’t have pictures of those, those are mostly for fun or for family.
I didn't even know you could do glitter tattoos with cricut. How do you do that?

I like your soap. How very classy.

No, I wanted to but I don't have a printer that will print 110lb/300gsm paper. I have a new inkjet but even the highest it goes is 80lb. I print the labels separately. The boxes are all cut by my cricut though.

I forgot to share my bath bomb tags. The tags are two 80lb pieces. One piece has the outline of the rose and it's leaves in my logo cut out. The other piece has the rose lines inside. The two pieces are both cut out on the cricut, then glued together. It's a pity it's not showing up very well my phone camera because they really are very pretty. I have all the colors of the rainbow available and make them myself. It takes more time. I started putting my bath bombs inside the biolefin plastic, sealing just above the bomb, then tying it off with jute twine and tying the tag onto it. I then put the labels on the front and back of the tag. It looks so pretty. You can kind of see what I mean in the image attached. It's from one of my lives (I always broadcast live for a few minutes at the start of every market).

I've also attached an image from the same video so you can see what my boxes look like now.

I'll be honest, getting that box to cut right was a serious pain. I have yet to figure out how to combine lines. Nothing I do in the app will do it. The option doesn't appear. So I've taken to extending the lines past the image to get them to cut properly. If you know how, please tell me. I'm a terrible videographer lol.

I'd give you my box cut but cricut won't let me export lol. I actually have two. One for special events like Christmas and Halloween. One for regular soap. They are different. And still a pita. The special event ones are on the top row. The labeling is on the back, bottom, and sides. They are harder to put together than the others.
I just figured out how to combine lines last week. Later today will sit down to machine and write out steps and post.

Am also using olefin w/o shrinking like you. Have stored bath bombs this way for years-love it. I purchase polyolefin smell through bags from twowildhares on Etsy.

You may want to consider using these jute ties from AliExpress. Took forever to find them. Your tags with hole can be slipped through the metal bar on the end. They are just a perfect length for hang tags. Nicely made. They take a bit of time to receive as coming from a distance. Not sure I need the safety pin. Was brainstorming on something to pin onto it. Coupons perhaps. Search “hang tags” once link takes you to store.
1681374881787.png

Sinopos
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPLMXAU

Last edited:

The boxes are splendid. Love your creativity. However your soaps are gorgeous. I like the juxtaposition between the box cut and the soap shape. Your bath bombs are beautiful! Packaging is such a large part of sales. We either spend our time to make it. Or we pay someone else to make it for us.

I didn't even know you could do glitter tattoos with cricut. How do you do that?

I like your soap. How very classy.
Thank you! It was a pride and prejudice inspired soap.
I cut the stencils for the glitter tattoos with vinyl. You put the stencil vinyl on the arm or leg, and apply the skin safe glue, then you sprinkle the cosmetic glitter and remove the stencil. I often remove the stencil before the glitter because it is so humid here; but I risk bringing part of the design with it, if it is detailed. Here is a painfully slow video of how I apply them, you can reuse the stencil a couple of times.

As far as cutting it or designing it, this video shows how I do it. It is pretty much like cutting a sticker but you use the negative space part as the stencil.

I'm just loving all the creativity and sharing of ideas here!

@bwtapestry those jute tag holders look so cool! Thanks for sharing the link.

@MelissaG I have watched some YT videos about combining lines, but I'll be honest, I'll have to write myself a cheat sheet to follow since I will NOT remember all those steps while under the pressure of designing something. Meanwhile, for your boxes, are you cutting and scoring them on the Cricut, and then adding labels to them (that were also created on Cricut and printed with your printer)?

@glendam I adore those P&P soaps. And the stencil idea is fantastic! My younger grandson will definitely love wearing some temporary tattoos, and we will definitely do some of those this weekend.

This grandson is super artistic, but he has a hard time paying attention if he isn't the the primary action-taker (he doesn't like to sit and watch). So, I will predesign some tattoo stencils so they are ready to cut, and also his mom's Mother's Day t-shirt design so it's ready to print and cut. That way, he can jump right in to push buttons, watch the machine work, do the weeding and pressing, etc. Once I'm more comfortable with the design process, I'll let him work on that at the computer while I coach in the background. I'm so thrilled to have found something that he will love doing together!

I'll be honest, getting that box to cut right was a serious pain. I have yet to figure out how to combine lines. Nothing I do in the app will do it. The option doesn't appear.
@MelissaG Last week it took me some time to figure out how to combine lines and shapes. My mind gets certain Cricut things but not necessarily others. I was very lucky in that I found a website with instructions I could easily grasp. WARNING. You will have to use "WELD". Weld feature cannot be undone once a design has been welded. Before welding a design save a copy of it labeled as "unwelded". Then go ahead and weld away knowing that if you make a mistake you can always delete the mistake file and go back and open up the unwelded file. Just remember to keep saving a copy as "unwelded" and you will be fine. I had to go back and begin again about 4 times before I figured out how to weld shapes together so that the machine would cut them as one piece and not two pieces. So was very glad to have the saved artwork to try again. Another tip: the pieces that you are welding together must overlap one another. If they do not overlap a bit the weld feature will be grayed out. Regarding paper weight. I am using a 67 base Neenah Vellum Bristol paper which works well in my printer and also for soap wraps. See if your printer has a back of printer feeder for heavier paper or a pull out feed tray instead of the regular paper tray. the back of feeder and pull out trays often accept heavier paper because it does not have to turn inside the printer like it does when being pulled from the normal paper drawer. Here is the website page for weld/Cricut with best instructions for my brain type: How to Weld Text and Images in Cricut Design Space

Back